The "what are you doing" question

Options
I admit that it's great when people notice that I've lost weight and it's terrific to hear compliments, but so many people want to know "what are you doing?" I tell them the truth ... I cut my calories to 1500 a day, I use MPF and track everything that goes into my mouth, I make sure I drink my water, and I've started upping my activity level. That's the truth, so why don't people accept that? I've had people say there must be something else, am I taking pills, why won't I share my "secret" and even had someone go so far as to accuse me of having bariatric surgery and lying about it. I've told any number of people about MFP and that it really helps me and then they try it for a few days and realize it's not a magic bullet and stop and then get mad because I must be doing something I'm not telling them! Has anyone else run into this? It's so frustrating!

Replies

• lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying great sucess and constantly adjust my daily menu to accommodate my desires and still remain under my daily 1500 calories. Just started swimming for 2 hours 3 times a week to boost my activity. I am happy with my progress and life change. I can live like this forever quite content. I eat what I want---within reason, ever conscious of portion size and don't put anything in my mouth until I know how many calories I am consuming. I call it "mindful eating"---no more diets I'm on a health vision-quest.
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I haven't run into that yet...but cannot wait! My suggestion - and my plan when I get that question is to say....MFP...give me your email I'll invite you and you can see all about it! End of story.
    woot to you on your success!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think that people want the easy way and think that's the only way to lose weight. They want to hear it's a pill or a wrap or something that takes very little effort. Makes me sad too because I think it gets easier the longer you make healthy decisions.

Congrats on your loss!
  • malicent
    Options
    LOL that would SERIOUSLY piss me off!!!! Omg you should just tell them to go **** themselves. They're all getting mad at you and stuff. That's so lame. No wonder they're fat. Tell them that!! Anyways, congrats to you woman and keep it up.
  • brandypinky22
    brandypinky22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get asked this question I tell them counting calories and working out hard. They just stand in amazement with dropped jaws and then say something to the effect of "wow that sounds tough." Inside I just kind of giggle and think yes, completely changing your lifestyle and moving your body when you feel like being lazy and not eating that entire birthday cake is tough but not as tough as hauling around over 300 lbs and having to take multiple medications for the rest of my life.

Something that I also thought of with this post was something that completely blew my mind. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a little over a year ago the age of 28, weighing in at 290 lbs. At my last doctor appointment my Doctor said to me,"WOW, you have dropped a lot of weight what have you been doing....(I answered)...wow that's really great none of my diabetic patients ever lose weight they just rely on the medication, you are my all star patient." So, just remember the fact that we are all here and putting in that extra effort everyday puts us several steps ahead of everyone else.
  • 7memyselfandI
    Options
    I had someone ask me this...I said I was watching what I ate and working out close to 2 hours, 5 days a week, combo of cardio and strength training. She replied "Oh. That's it?". I was speechless.
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    Thanks, gang. It's amazing, kind of like people think I've discovered the weight-loss equivalent of the fountain of youth and they're all ticked off because I can't hand them an overnight solution or do it for them! As the old saying goes, none of us put it on overnight so we can't take it off overnight. I try to tell them, I can share my tools and support you ... the work is up to you. The problem is (as it sounds like you folks agree) they don't want to do the work. If they want to stay fat and unhealthy, their decision. I've decided not to!
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    Whenever I get asked this question I tell them counting calories and working out hard. They just stand in amazement with dropped jaws and then say something to the effect of "wow that sounds tough." Inside I just kind of giggle and think yes, completely changing your lifestyle and moving your body when you feel like being lazy and not eating that entire birthday cake is tough but not as tough as hauling around over 300 lbs and having to take multiple medications for the rest of my life.

Something that I also thought of with this post was something that completely blew my mind. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a little over a year ago the age of 28, weighing in at 290 lbs. At my last doctor appointment my Doctor said to me,"WOW, you have dropped a lot of weight what have you been doing....(I answered)...wow that's really great none of my diabetic patients ever lose weight they just rely on the medication, you are my all star patient." So, just remember the fact that we are all here and putting in that extra effort everyday puts us several steps ahead of everyone else.

It is tough but as you've found out, the results are SO rewarding! I know it's extra hard with the complication of diabetes and I rejoice for your progress! Good for you for taking care of yourself. You're so young and this is really going to help you for the rest of your life. I have a friend in a similar situation ...diabetic, had a heart attack before 40 years old!!!!!!! ... and took off a few pounds and has put it all back on plus more, and he smokes ... some people just won't help themselves. I'm glad you chose to help yourself to life!! Your story is inspiring :smile:
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I get the exact same reaction all the time. When I tell them the honest truth "diet and exercise" or "move more, eat less" they look at me stoic and jaw droppped like it is doing the impossible. I even had a family member tell me "Well, that's not what I want to hear" as if a magical remedy that would cure all their weight problems would come out of my mouth and they wouldn't have to worry about their weight ever again. I go to the gym 4+ days a week and I have acheived my goal, I'm only trying to tone now. Before it was 6-7 days a week. This takes hard work and a lot of discipline, anything in pill form or on an infomercial is a "just say no". Great job on your achievement!
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    I get the exact same reaction all the time. When I tell them the honest truth "diet and exercise" or "move more, eat less" they look at me stoic and jaw droppped like it is doing the impossible. I even had a family member tell me "Well, that's not what I want to hear" as if a magical remedy that would cure all their weight problems would come out of my mouth and they wouldn't have to worry about their weight ever again. I go to the gym 4+ days a week and I have acheived my goal, I'm only trying to tone now. Before it was 6-7 days a week. This takes hard work and a lot of discipline, anything in pill form or on an infomercial is a "just say no". Great job on your achievement!

Thank you! I still have a long way to go ... thanks for sharing your story. It is an awesome inspiration!
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i always get asked by people i havent seen in while what i did to lose it and say eat better and workout and theyre always disappointed i didnt have a magical ferrys phone number to give them to call
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me a few days ago.

Them: "Wow, have you lost weight? What are you doing?"
    Me: "Thanks! I've found a great new app called MFP. It lets you log your calories and exercise, blah, blah, blah"
    Them: "No it can't be counting calories. Everyone has done that. So, really, what are you doing?"
    Me: "Well, I did get a really great push up bra. It makes me look like I have a narrower waste"
    Them: "Oh, hey great I'm going to do that too."

Don't know if I should be annoyed or just laugh at them.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I get asked this all the time as well! I just say "Hard Work"! They usually roll their eyes and say they can't be bothered with that! I say fair enough! If they want a conversation with me then I tell them about MFP, eat more to weigh less, C25K, Strength Training etc and then I get a better response!

Best one was my Mum though!! She kept on buying me cakes and donuts and chocolate (That I gave to my underweight OH until she got wise and started getting stuff he doesn't like) but when she saw how well I was doing she joind MFP as well! The trouble was she decided that it was too stressful to log her food and used it as an excuse to binge on Toblerone! She gained 1/2 a stone in 2 weeks on MFP before freaking out and refusing to try!! Some people just don't want to put the work in!
  • unsivilized6
    unsivilized6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been asked this several times too and nobody likes my answer: "eat less, move more". It's really that simple. I wanted a quick fix before I started too. I understand where they are coming from, but the bottom line is - NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES. Want to see a difference? Do something different!
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    The same thing happened to me a few days ago.

Them: "Wow, have you lost weight? What are you doing?"
    Me: "Thanks! I've found a great new app called MFP. It lets you log your calories and exercise, blah, blah, blah"
    Them: "No it can't be counting calories. Everyone has done that. So, really, what are you doing?"
    Me: "Well, I did get a really great push up bra. It makes me look like I have a narrower waste"
    Them: "Oh, hey great I'm going to do that too."

Don't know if I should be annoyed or just laugh at them.

This is just hilarious! I guess since I did just buy new bras (at some point, face it ... you just have to!), I could try that. Probably wouldn't work with any of the guys I know, though ... haha.
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    It's really amazing how widespread this is. I'm kinda glad to hear that other people have had it happen although it makes me shake my head at how many people think we can't possibly be doing it if it isn't "easy" ... hey, give us some credit for putting in the work for the results! :grumble:
  • gracieabem
    Options
    Most of the people that have commented have been my customers at work - some are daily regulars, others are weekly, monthly etc, so they see the big difference (I lost a fair bit of weight pre-MFP. I was 235lbs, now I'm 143lbs). A lot of people have asked this question.

I just say that I'm making healthier choices in food and becoming more active. I hate to say eat less, move more but that's essential what I was doing pre-MFP - it worked because I had a fair bit to lose, but I think the weight came off a little too quickly. I was still making healthier lifestyle changes though. The epiphany came at Christmas last year. By this time my weight loss was starting to slow down and with all the Christmas food around I didn't weigh myself for about 3 weeks. I know I ate more. When I finally weighed in again... I was amazed at the result. Another factor in me changing my tack slightly was I started doing strength training and c25k and I felt a little tired and hungry and needed to eat more. It didn't affect my weight loss. Then I found MFP.

Anyway, I'm not really specific about what I've done, just more in general terms, especially with customers. With friends/family I would go into it more if they wanted to know. I also get a lot of questions about whether I used a particular program.

I used to really dislike being asked by customers about my weight loss and I used to get very embarrassed when they noticed. I felt that I was constantly being reminded about my weight before. But then I had a little attitude adjustment and conceded that they are really well-meaning, that I couldn't except people not to notice. And that they were really just trying to be nice. Some people can be a little tactless like the women who yelled out in front of a full shop, 'My goodness, you lost a LOT of weight!!!' or the guy the other day who said I had lost a lot of beef lol. I just smile and nod and try to talk about my running if anything. (Favourite fitness topic lol)
  • ShawnaElston
    ShawnaElston Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great post. As someone who has followed your progress you can tell them to log on and I'll tell them. You are very straightforward and positive and one of the people who makes me want to stay on track. When we are done we can just smile knowingly.. :)
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    Great post. As someone who has followed your progress you can tell them to log on and I'll tell them. You are very straightforward and positive and one of the people who makes me want to stay on track. When we are done we can just smile knowingly.. :)

Thank you! As I've told you before, we're all in this together. We need to stick together through the easy days and the hard days so we can all make it through. As for the ones looking for the quick fix, well, I guess either they'll see it's worth it or not. Their choice. You know what they say about not helping those that won't accept help ... even when they asked for it!
  • patkterry
    Options
    People ask me about "what im doing" I tell them immediately.-- I gave up junk food.. they don't like that too much. bc they say.. you mean pizza?? chips?? soda?? LOL.. . I have also cut fat from home cooking- eat mostly chicken, fish, nothing fried, non fat dairy.. and I'm at the gym 3-5 times a week.. and I swim when I can. I'm in so much less pain now- I am totally noticing it in my feet & knees. which I am so grateful for.
    I guess I'm used to it now- diet and exercise- because I don't think it's hard anymore, and yes I do have junk food- every once in a while and you will see me in the gym shortly after that anyway. - and rarely do I go over my calories for the day.. If I do I don't beat myself up about it. I just do better the next day. It's a journey. I didn't get this big in a week, and I won't get slender in a week either.
    I also tell them about MFP... and how its helped me stay on track- when you are accountable to what you eat.. you think about it-BEFORE you do it.