Which do you use--The MFP cal tracker or the gym machine's

Options
I get so confused---the MFP tracker is SO generous with calories burned :flowerforyou:
The generic gym machines---across the board-- No matter which gym--I am in are SO stingy.:grumble:

Which one do YOU use to record?:huh:

For example--I can be on the ELLIPTICAL for 30 minutes---MFP gives over 300 cal
The gym will grant a measly 100 or so calories---

I've been logging in the stingy one ---to up my endurance
but on days when I can only get in a few minute--MFP starts looking
mighty good

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used to use the machine, and I invested in a HRM that I use instead. If you think gym machines are stingy....
  • holliehhobbie
    holliehhobbie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use what gave me the lowest calories burned. When I did research on it I found that you have to have an accurate weight, height, and heart rate to determine calories burned. And that the heart rate monitors in gyms need regular calibration to be accurate. I have seen many posts on MFP where someone uses 2 different treadmills at the gym that are the same brand and do the same work out but get very different calories burned readings.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I used to use the machine, and I invested in a HRM that I use instead. If you think gym machines are stingy....

HRM..is that a different tracking device?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,400 Member
    Options
    Neither, I either use my HRM (heart rate monitor-Polar F4 with a chest strap) or my Body Media Fit. Depending on the exercise MFP is either really close or incredibly high. Don't get me started on the machines at the gym-they are ridiculously high.
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    When I did research on it I found that you have to have an accurate weight, height, and heart rate to determine calories burned. And that the heart rate monitors in gyms need regular calibration to be accurate.

I wondered about the variables
    I have seen many posts on MFP where someone uses 2 different treadmills at the gym that are the same brand and do the same work out but get very different calories burned readings.

EXACTLY!
    I use what gave me the lowest calories burned

This is what I was doing--to push myself more.
  • heroyalslimness
    Options
    Neither, I either use my HRM (heart rate monitor-Polar F4 with a chest strap) or my Body Media Fit. Depending on the exercise MFP is either really close or incredibly high. Don't get me started on the machines at the gym-they are ridiculously high.

So--I will investigate into these. Thanks for the opinions---very very informative
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good HRM.

I wear one and track with my fitbit as well :)
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know get a Heart Rate Monitor. Everything else is just guessing based on weight and everyone is different and that is the only way you will know. I also have fitbit which works too.
  • nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I got a heart rate monitor last week and I love it. It has a chest strap for accuracy - you input your sex, age, weight, height and it calc's it for you.
  • anniebonnie
    anniebonnie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I trust my gym machine pretty well:) I normally do resistance level 10 for 30 minutes, and it says I burn about 300 calories during that time which makes sense to me considering my weight and how sweaty I am afterwardsXD if it's a little off I don't really mind, as I go up and down stairs a lot at school and never log the few minutes of exercise I might get in gym class...besides, HRM's creep me out
  • ImmortalDancer
    Options
    I use the elliptical as well and it gives me maybe 130 calories burned for 20 minutes, 250 for 40 minutes. I like using the machine's calculations though, because then even I have burned more, my mind is thinking I haven't and I stick to what my MFP journal is telling me after I track the numbers from the machine at the gym.
    Just a trick that is working a bit better for me! I'd rather be underestimating it than overestimating :/
  • deborahposey
    Options
    the elliptical i use at the gym has a HRM, also i think it also depends on your endurance, because i can see different when i use the fat burner mode vs the cardio mode.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too, so... Found this on the subject; http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/bb/bybpedometer.htm
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I use endomondo. MFP is stingy on some things and generous on others. It just depends on what I'm doing.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    darn! i always felt so happy when I logged my exercise and I had so many wonderful calories to eat back. Yeah, I should get a HRM hear monitor, only thing is I am real low on funds. Are they expensive? Probably worth it though!
  • jamface11
    Options
    I eat back exercise calories, so normally use half the calories shown by the machines at the gym. I think taking half off accounts for inaccuracies, and the net rather than gross calories burned. I like this site to calculate calories from walking or running http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

I would love to invest in an HRM, but not quite in the budget yet :P
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Neither I have a hrm
  • katweeks63
    Options
    I used this calculator, http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm, to see how it compared to MFP and it was within 2 calories for my walk tonight.