Runners... is this part of the process?

Options
I did C25K and finished up over the weekend. I'm now out running 2.75 miles and only taking intermittent breathers to round out my 3.11 miles. I feel great for the most part; my endurance amazes me. However, my legs get so tired before I'm even into my 2nd mile. I am a short, squat and currently overweight gal, so I'm realistic enough to know it takes a lot for my legs to carry my heavy body. (I am working on that!)

My question is: Will my legs catch up with my endurance? Are they going to get stronger? I would love nothing more than to do the C210K and continue upping my distance and lowering my time, but I worry if my legs are tired now what they'll feel like with more distance on them. I would assume they'll get stronger, but its a whole new world for me. I'm only 8 weeks into running.

I do love it though, it has become my favorite part of the day. I wish I would have started this years ago.

Replies

• TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.
  • ZambiNan
    ZambiNan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your legs will get stronger, your heart will get stronger, and your head will get stronger as you gain confidence in a given distance. Plus, the more weight you lose, the easier it gets!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I was right there where you are 9 months ago. I went for it and trained for a 10k, but I chose to use Hal Higdon's novice training program for 10K (you can find it online) because it seemed a bit easier. I have done 2 10k's now, and I am planning to start training for a half marathon. Your body will get stronger! What worked for me was just focusing on endurance and sticking to the training program. Don't try to push yourself on speed yet. Almost a year later, I'm a little faster, but I still cannot push the speed too much. Take is slow, listen to your body, and keep on enjoying running!
  • danimal5867
    Options
    Just keep slowly stretching out your distance. Three months ago I couldn't run a 1/4 mile. Tonight I did four miles nonstop, only quitting because I was out of time. I got here by continually stretching my distance while walking as needed. Your strength and stamina will increase. Losing more weight will certainly help and running more is a great calorie burn to lose more weight.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Good Job!!! I love 5K's!!! You will get better at it!!
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    8 weeks!! That's amazing!! Keep at it. Slow and steady is the way to go and gradually increase little by little to avoid injury. How many days a week are you running. If you noticed your legs are getting more tired than normal take 3-4 days off and rest. I started running 11 months ago at 215 lbs and I'm 5'10" and could barely run for more than a few minutes at a time, but now Ive completed a half marathon and just ran 14 miles the other day and am enjoying my lighter 161 lb body. You will have an easier time as you shed more weight. Sounds like you are doing great!! Keep up all that hard work!!
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I always hurt (like sore/tired hurt) for the first 2-3 times at a new longer distance. I'm currently at 7-8 miles with no pain (third week at this distance) but the first week i was sore for days after but the same was true at 2 miles, 4 miles and 6 miles. I'm guessing 10 is going to hurt this Saturday. :happy:

I'm starting to embrace the hurt because it means I'm getting stronger!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'll add in another vote for using Hal Higdon's plans. I ran a 5K last year and like the feeling of racing and wanted to do more, but had been stagnant on improving for awhile and didn't know how to make the aches go away and get faster and stronger.

I signed up for a 7K that was a month after the 5K and a 10K that was another month after that and used Hal Higdon's 10K plan to train for both of them in succession (just worked backwards in the schedule from the 10K to where it got me to the current date at the time and started it from there.)

I showed improvements in strength and speed steadily each week. Cutting my pace by over 30 seconds per mile by the 10K run and reducing the achiness I'd been feeling prior to that. I think that his schedules including and encouraging strength training and corss-cardio days instead of just constant running were huge factors in all of those things.

In fact, I ended up using his plans for both of my half marathons as well. :)
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I really hurt myself by ignoring leg pains and carrying on when my fitness was ahead of my legs' hardenedness! So, steadily building up and not adding more than 10% to mileage each week sounds all the more sensible having found out the hard way what happens if you get too impatient! You will improve and find it easier, but don't forget the value of cross training and the NECESSITY of rest days too!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes yes yes. :)

The lung endurance comes first, then you work on the leg endurance. The lung endurance means you are getting in better shape!! The leg endurance is just muscle memory. You run 3 miles over and over and over until your legs don't fret about 3 miles and then you run 4 miles over and over and over etc etc etc...... And then you run a half marathon (like I did) and think "Where did that come from?!" Keep at it, you'll get there!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have done over 100km this month alone..... all I can say is.... MY LEGS NEVER STOP HURTING. I'm not kidding, but somehow you just keep going. I run 11km each time I run, I went from 3km walk to 5km run then 6km then 8 now 11 is my min. It gets harder on my legs each time. Keep at it. The weight comes off easy with running, just make sure you are keeping up with strength training (work those hip ABDUCTORS or your knees will HATE you) and you will forget the soreness. I'm sore for about 2 hours after a run (even with a shower as soon as I get home) and after that I'm usually fine. It will get better.... I promise
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it takes the tissues time to catch up to cardio fitness. And the temptation is to push too fast. Nothing wrong with intentionally plateauing the increase for a few weeks to let things catch up. That will help on the injury prevention front. Competitive runners, when building running volume (weekly miles) will often take a pull back week once a month or so just to let the body recuperate. In the long run, it's better to pause increases for a while than to keep going when your body isn't ready, get hurt, and have to rest totally. You get to 10k (or any distance goal) faster that way.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    When I ran 5K, the second miles was dreadful! Now that I am in 10K and beyond, mile 3 or 4 is the toughest - but I just keep going. Part of it is in your head.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes, there's a lot happening to your body when you start exercising one of them being the development of new capillaries to deliver the increased blood flow your muscles need, new mitochondria etc etc. Your aerobic capacity improves but it takes time for the rest of your body to catch up.

If you're not already doing some strength training you should start. A strong core, hips and glutes are incredibly important to runners in terms of injury prevention.

Keep up the good work & have fun!
  • dominikaro
    Options
    I find legs and core strenghtening excrecises very helpful. Also biking and swimming are a great cross training optiong if you want to keep running. Good luck.
  • lovemydogjake
    lovemydogjake Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to run all the time - but that was years ago. I am now getting back into it because I've realized just how much I love it and miss it. I know someone else prompted this chain of comments but just wanted everyone who has responded to know you are helping me as well. I'm struggling to "feel good" for the entire 3 miles and am just getting to that point. Your posts have given me the motivation I need to push through the beginning stages of running - and I now remember that it does get easier.
    Thank you all!
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    To build your leg strength up, do some squats each day. When you squat down, hold for as long as you can (your legs will start shaking) before you stand up again. And repeat. Or put your back up against a wall and squat and hold for as long as you can.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I was right there where you are 9 months ago. I went for it and trained for a 10k, but I chose to use Hal Higdon's novice training program for 10K (you can find it online) because it seemed a bit easier. I have done 2 10k's now, and I am planning to start training for a half marathon. Your body will get stronger! What worked for me was just focusing on endurance and sticking to the training program. Don't try to push yourself on speed yet. Almost a year later, I'm a little faster, but I still cannot push the speed too much. Take is slow, listen to your body, and keep on enjoying running!

I am doing the same!
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much! I am a slow little turtle out on my back country roads, but I don't care to much about that yet. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself fitness and self-esteem wise. It's really made me overall *feel* better.

I will take all of this advice in and look for some cross-training and core strength exercises.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I find legs and core strenghtening excrecises very helpful. Also biking and swimming are a great cross training optiong if you want to keep running. Good luck.

^This. Cross training definitely helps. I take one to two spin classes a week and lift heavy weights to help strengthen my legs. You are doing amazing with the running - just make sure you are cross training, stretching well after each run, and maybe get a foam roller to ease discomfort after you are done.