anyone else breastfeeding?

Options
I am 7 weeks postpartum and have only lost about 5 lbs. and my baby was almost 7lbs alone!!
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. how about how many calories I should be taking in ??
cause I'm burning 500-600 calories a day from nursing. and I'm overweight to begin with. I don't understand.

Replies

• Jester522
    Options
    Subbed to learn. Sorry, no idea how to help you :/
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    When you are breastfeeding you will burn calories because of that; but don't "eat for two" - that is a myth. Maybe contact your local breastfeeding association and ask advice? And only 7 weeks old, your baby & body are still in early stages - give yourself time. I seem to remember way back when (I used to be a breastfeeding counsellor, fed my 4 kids) that basically you needed the equivalent of a wholemeal cheese sandwich and an apple extra to cover your baby's needs - so not a lot extra.

Good luck with new baby and breastfeeding and getting fit again - it will happen!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Not everybody loses with breastfeeding. Yes it is true that you burn 300-500 calories a day if you are exclusively breastfeeding. I would just make sure you are eating healthy and 1500-1900 calories a day minimum. If you have any other questions feel free to ask I am a lactation consultant.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Congrats on your precious love.

I have been nursing for 6 months now. I started MFP at 7 weeks pp also.

I ate 1200+500 (for nursing) so that my supply was still strong. After I met my goal weight after 4 months, I increased to 1300+500. I didn't work out until 9 weeks pp, and that was 5-6 days a week for an hour.

Oh, and drink water until your ears leak! Drink a full bottle every 2 hours.

Good luck!!!
  • MidwestAngel
    Options

Drinking too much water can actually lower your supply, so drink the amount you should be and then if you are thirsty.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Drinking too much water can actually lower your supply, so drink the amount you should be and then if you are thirsty.

Really?! My LC said atleast 10 glasses a day and lots of greens, oatmeal, fish. How would more water decrease supply?
  • MidwestAngel
    Options

Really?! My LC said atleast 10 glasses a day and lots of greens, oatmeal, fish. How would more water decrease supply?
    I would say 10 is fine, but you don't want to over do it. Too much fluid in the body can decrease the body's ability produce milk. It doesn't makes sense but it is true. At least that is what I was trained.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is to be set at no more than 1 pound a week for weight loss, add in the extra calories from breastfeeding into my food diary (I'm still using one of the 400 calorie ones at 11 1/2 months based on how frequently she's nursing), and eat the majority of my exercise calories most days. I'm now 36 pounds below my pre pregnancy weight, and my milk quality and quantity is great.
  • rosieh8781
    Options
    Hi all...I am exclusively breastfeeding, but mostly pump. I started MFP mid August....I am setup to losing 2 lbs a week, I eat most of my pumping and excersice calories back. I did notice my supply go down first couple of weeks, and it is back up now..

I did lose most of all my pregnancy weight 29 lbs by 6 weeks except 8 and I have lost them with mfp...so now the real work begins to lose the 40lbs I have carried for a while now...
  • ttballard
    ttballard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 6 weeks postpartum, have been back in the gym since baby was 3 weeks old ( 3 days a week the first week, 4 days the next two, I will go back to 5 days, probably next week). Have been taking in about 1600 calories a day. I have lost 8 pounds so far...the baby weighed 8 pounds...what about the placenta and fluid?

This is my 8th child, so it isn't my first rodeo. I have been exercising since I had my third, have been losing weight since my first (with whom I gained A LOT of weight), 10 years ago. It is taking forever to reach my goal, but then I have stopped and had a baby, roughly every 18 months for the last decade. The point being, I know how to do this, how to lose weight, even when bfing, and it isn't happening this time. My midwife thinks I am getting old, lol, but really, there HAS to be fluid loss (always is in the first 2-3 weeks), but I haven't had it this time.
    I am seriously at a loss, and still being 17 pounds above my pre pregnancy weight, at 6 weeks out is bringing me down:-(
  • rideswithchrist
    Options
    yes! I am new to MFP and nursing a 6m old boy. I have not lost all my pregnancy weight like I did with my girls :(. This is my 3rd baby and he eats a LOT more than they did, so I feel like I am eating more.

I will be following this thread for some advice too!
    I have no idea how to track calories and such LOL
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Congrats on your precious love.

I have been nursing for 6 months now. I started MFP at 7 weeks pp also.

I ate 1200+500 (for nursing) so that my supply was still strong. After I met my goal weight after 4 months, I increased to 1300+500. I didn't work out until 9 weeks pp, and that was 5-6 days a week for an hour.

Good luck!!!

I'd have to agree with this. I haven't nursed for about 2m now, but when I did it was 3.5years of it. 2 children back to back/tandem nursing for 6m of that as well as nursing through the pregnancy. I didn't loose 1lb after my first, but while tandem nursing the lbs just seems to melt off effortlessly because I figured out that I didn't actually NEED to eat that much more. A few extra bites per meal is good enough, but TONS of water. Don't go too crazy with the workouts post pardom either, ease your way into it. You have time, there is no rush. Just be healthy and you will be happy :)