irratated

Options
i feel like eating everything in sight because my best friend who is losing weight with me has been pushing me to burn 1500 friggin calories a day and eat only 1300. today i crashed at the gym and totally fell off the machine. i only burned 493 calories today. im too exhausted to do anymore. what do i say to her to calm down on how many calories we burn? ill probably gain tomorrow but i don't care i just want to rest! P.s i burned 1523 cals monday 1549 tuesday and today 493

Replies

• DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    btw im 5'2 179 pounds
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Workout at your own pace.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Dropping your friends is the quickest, healthiest weight loss solution.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thats wayyy too extreme. Just try to get her to set a smaller goal, like.. Burn 600 calories a day and you eat 1500? And let her know you're burning out, God knows I would.
    I know people say eat back exercise calories, but I'm not an expert so I dont really know exactly how that works..

Oh, and you WILL NOT gain if you eat at a deficit. But your deficit is too high.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Simply take responsibility for yourself. It's easy to "blame" someone else. Your friend sounds overbearing but you are responsible for your own successes and failures.
  • ealmy
    ealmy Posts: 17
    Options
    If you have been keeping up anything even close to this and your not loosing a lot more weight than your showing, something is seriously amiss. Either your not eating ENOUGH, or your mix is all wrong. Are you eating 5 meals a day? If you just hammering out on treadmills and elipticals, that could also be a problem, those such for weight loss.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Workout at your own pace.

Cannot stress this enough. It's good to have work out buddies, but don't let your friend push you past your limits. This will lead you to not wanting to work out. Just let them know that you're doing your best, and if they say otherwise, they aren't doing you any favors by pushing you past your limit.

I had a great work out buddy, we would push each other to do more, but when we could see the other fatiguing, we would wrap it up for that person and tell them how awesome of a job they did that day.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You're an adult, workout at your own pace and safety level. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to burn 1500 cals and only eat 1300.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I used to spend 3 hours a day at the gym half killing myself then come home and lay on the couch for the rest of it exhausted and miserable and dreading the next day....

unless you are ENJOYING something, you're not gonna keep doing it.... find a work out that works for YOU..... and don't worry about your friend..... you aren't losing her weight.... you're working on your own... give yourself a few days off and then set up your own schedule doing things that you know you can stick with.... not every work out takes place in the gym... there are lots of ways around the house that you can lose weight and have fun doing it...
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Dropping your friends is the quickest, healthiest weight loss solution.

Oh, that's just awesome. So using this one -- thanks! :laugh:
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    no ive been burning a little over 1500 monday and tuesday. monday i ate around 1500 tuesday around 1300
  • spikefoot
    Options
    And how could you ever sustain this? This is nonsense, stop now.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Tell her she needs help? Seriously, that's not healthy or sane. Take a step back, read up on some basic "how your body works" stuff (hint: it burns calories. All the time. Like, breathing and pumping blood and stuff. There are problems if you don't have enough calories to do these things.), put together a reasonable program and don't die.

This is a good place to start: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes -- great, big combo of what everyone else has said.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I always find undereating / burning too much generally leads to binge eating later on.

-500 to -1000 is a good place to stay for a deficit imo. Just be honest with her, if she is your "gym buddy" do your

routine and then wait for her. You decide your pace, someone else doesn't do that for you.
  • Shadom
    Shadom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Simply take responsibility for yourself. It's easy to "blame" someone else. Your friend sounds overbearing but you are responsible for your own successes and failures.
    Set your own goals and schedule and stick with them.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Is your workout partner a professional? A trainer or nutritionist? I doubt it. So tell them they are nuts! You don;t have to starve to lose weight actually quite the opposite. You need to fuel your body to lose weight. Just a very rough estimate your BMR has to be over 1600 which means 1300 a day is way too little for all that exercise. You could eat close to 2000 with no exercise an maintain your current weight.

Read this : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=road+map&page=12#posts-10955227

search "road map" it's the first one.

Find the right number of calories for you do that and exercise at your own pace and you will lose don't let a friend bully you b/c you will won't be happy and you won't be able to keep it up (tonight is proof).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You "crashed and fell off a machine" and "are too exhausted to do any more" after burning 400 or so calories. Holy cow - you need listen to your body which is begging you for rest and probably for food! Quit listening to your "friend" who is pushing you into some unhealthy habits.

Great article here on overtraining issues: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

From what you've said, you're pushing yourself through tough workouts and burning heaps of calories and then eating less than what you burn. It's no wonder you crashed today. You can't ask your body to run on zero fuel! Read that article, all kinds of good info there.

And check out this topic here on MFP, another great one for setting your goals and nutrition: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Edited to add: *highfives* to kellicci for also posting the link to the Road Map! :drinker:
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound healthy really! That's a lot of time exercising and can drain you quick! If you are using MFP, it's designed for you to eat back your calories...for some people that's motivation but for me, I can't eat that much! On average, I burn about 300ish because that's about all I can eat back and not much more than that...my stomach just isn't that big.

If you burn that much and she's really pushing for it, maybe you should speak to a nutritionist/doctor and pass the information on to her? Perhaps hearing from a professional, would help? Or just flat out tell her no
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Dump your "friend", as someone else said, that will be a big weight loss.

Your daily goal BEFORE exercise is 1470, how do you think burning 1500 and only eating 1300 factors into that? It is a wonder you didn't collapse walking, much less at the gym.