irratated

Options

Replies

• maedoll18
    Options
    I can't agree enough with everyone here - ditch your insane friend and/or get her some help. Then start at your own pace.
  • MissJKiss
    Options
    To thy own self be true! What works for someone else may not work for you. And if you pass out our get hurt you can't do anything. Exercise at a safe pace. That way the weight you lose you roll keep off.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i feel like eating everything in sight because my best friend who is losing weight with me has been pushing me to burn 1500 friggin calories a day and eat only 1300. today i crashed at the gym and totally fell off the machine. i only burned 493 calories today. im too exhausted to do anymore. what do i say to her to calm down on how many calories we burn? ill probably gain tomorrow but i don't care i just want to rest! P.s i burned 1523 cals monday 1549 tuesday and today 493

The quick way to weight loss in this situation is drop the baggage. Your friend is the baggage. The program here guides you to eat a certain amount of calories for your weight. Then when you work out so you are not at a deficit you have to eat some of it back. Your "friend" has way to many issues for you. This is your journey to weight loss. you have to find a balance. If they are not around tell them what you want Oh yeah I burnt all those calories. I over cooked the chicken breast burnt, I burnt the toast, and I burnt the water making tea. I hope you are happy. "Friend needs to get a life preferably their own. Simple it is not your stuff it is thier stuff and stop making it your stuff. Create boundaries for your self.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    And for what it's worth, I burn around 300 calories a day, give or take, and I eat around 1800 calories - never netting below my BMR of about 1350. And I'm losing the fat, staying strong, and have energy to rock my workouts.

You don't need to work yourself into the ground and eat like a bird in order to be fit.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    just say no to peer pressure.

if she is really your friend, she will not have a problem with you speaking out against, and/or not living up to, her ridiculous and unhealthy demands.

positive sammich time:

+ ...*i really like working out with you, and you're my good friend*
    - ...*but you are completely bat**** crazy and obviously trying to kill the both of us with this horrific plan of yours*
    + ...*let's just go at our own pace, cuz the goal here is to be healthy, not to die trying to win some freaky race*
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Because your friend is overenthusiastic is no reason to dump her like everyone's saying. Just say you're going to lose weight and exercise at your own pace, not hers. She'll probably slow down when she's exhausted enough.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Here's another great topic for ya: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics

Read her story and check out her pictures. Great example of the difference between just losing weight, and losing fat and being strong and fit.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    To quote a favorite fitness guru (Steve at Nerd Fitness) STOP GIVING AWAY YOUR POWER.
    YOU are in charge of YOU. Say something like: "I love how supportive you are and appreciate all your help, but I am really feeling that I've passed the point of exercise being beneficial when it is damaging my health. I need to be in this for the long haul and that means less extreme and more consistent..." you get the idea. But seriously, the only one you need to answer to is YOU and that little voice in your head is telling you to SLOW DOWN.
    PLEASE, for your own health, slow it up a bit until it's right for you.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    i feel like eating everything in sight because my best friend who is losing weight with me has been pushing me to burn 1500 friggin calories a day and eat only 1300. today i crashed at the gym and totally fell off the machine. i only burned 493 calories today. im too exhausted to do anymore. what do i say to her to calm down on how many calories we burn? ill probably gain tomorrow but i don't care i just want to rest! P.s i burned 1523 cals monday 1549 tuesday and today 493
    Yes, the concept she has about weight (fat) loss is not correct.
    Some of the cals you eat fuel your body and have NOTHING to do with creating fat on you.
    Some of the cals you eat fuel your exercise and have NOTHING to do with creating fat on you.
    If you eat past what your body burns TOTAL in a DAY, then you can begin to store fat.
    So, at 5ft2in 179lbs forgot your age....maybe 20? Your Total daily burn (assuming exercising 3 times per week) is about 2100 cal

So you would have to consume MORE that 2100 cals daily to begin to put on some fat....a pound is 3600 cals, so you would have to eat A LOT of extra cals on a DAILY basis.

You can figure this for yourself at http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Now, if you over-exercise and undereat, you can begin to supress your metabolism. Why do that?

Just eat less than your TDEE, and make a sensible exercise schedule for yourself.

Eating less than your TDEE (by 10-20%) puts you in a deficit, and you will lose weight.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Tell her straight out that burning 1500 calories a day is ridiculous. Even lowering it to 1000 per day is more reasonable and sustainable. That being said if you are going to continue to workout like this you have to fuel the workouts. Meaning that 1300 calories is WAY TOO LOW. Try finding your TDEE online and subtracting 20% for weight loss. Either that or drop the friend.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Workout at your own pace.

^This^

Being a healthy weight isn't a race, it's a destination.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Thats ridiculous. You'll make yourself sick, pass out, injur yourself, dehydrate etc etc,.

I was on 1200 a day and burnt 400-600 calories 5 days a week and am not at my goal weight.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    OP, what is your goal and how soon do you want to achieve it?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    She is nuts! You shouldn't be okay with this unless you are nuts also.... Listen to what everyone has said....I am great burning 600 on an elliptical when I hit the gym. And that's after an hour....
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    punch friend in face
    eat food
    workout
    lose weight
    profit?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Your friend needs to learn that you burn calories all day long, just existing. Trying to burn off more in purposeful exercise than you eat can be extremely dangerous - you're pretty lucky that all you did was crash out once.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Before I found this site. I was introduced to AdvoCare nutrition. I have dropped over35 lbs and am down from a tight 38 to a loose 36 in waist. My wife went from a size 12 to a size 4. We feel great and I don't have those urges to eat everything in sight. AdvoCare nutrition has changed our lives. Now, i help others achieve the same. Check it out. www.advocare.com/10046881.

Would you want people to go there without the 10046881 at the end? Please don't spam your affiliation programs in our forums. They are illegal and against board policy.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You do realize that the eat less than you burn means to include the calories your body burns by simply existing, right? If this is understood, there is no reason to be eating 1300 and burning 1500 through exercise every day, unless you want to run your body into the ground.

And, where are you getting your calories burned through exercise from?
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    You do realize that the eat less than you burn means to include the calories your body burns by simply existing, right?

This person sounds new to dieting/fitness. You should take it easy on them. :flowerforyou:
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    You're an adult, workout at your own pace and safety level. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to burn 1500 cals and only eat 1300.

get this man a plaque.