Grrrr... Plantar Fasciitis

Options

Replies

• myscaleaddiction
    Options
    I've had so many injuries from running (including PF!) that I've learned little tips and tricks how to deal with them and fix it ASAP. I'm a strong supporter of the kinetic chain idea- that is, if you have an injury, it's probably resulting from another part of your body. For instance, knee pain can be caused by weak quadricep muscles, tight hamstrings, tight hips.. so the best thing you can do is stretch and perhaps do some strength training!
    It's highly likely that your calves, possibly even your hamstrings, are tight if you have PF. Tight hamstrings = tight calves = tight Achilles tendon = Plantar Fasciitis. So STRETCHHHHH! They're all linked so you need to treat the root of the problem, not just the point of manifestation. Also anti-inflammatories like Advil will help, and like someone else suggested, rolling it out with a golf/tennis ball will loosen the tissue. Hope that helps!
  • jericamom
    jericamom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had it and had to have surgery for it as no other options were working for me. Best move I've ever made considering I was to the point that I couldn't walk any more. Most painful thing I've ever experienced. Good luck with your treatment! :happy:
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I second the MBT shoes - I've had PF in the left foot and just as that cleared up I did my right foot in and the only thing that has worked for me is wearing MBTs every day. They are expensive but they really do work and the plus is you burn more calories when wearing them as your leg muscles have to work harder because they're a bit like walking on beach sand. Wearing flat shoes killed my feet and the orthotics are only mildly better, nowhere near as good as the MBTs.:smile:
  • Couponqueenren
    Couponqueenren Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I went through the same at the beginning of the year. Make sure you are stretching the muscles in the area well every morning and each night. An anit inflammatory like ibuprofen after any workouts and rolling a frozen water bottle under your feet after workouts/walking. As for cardio, the ARC trainer does not pound your feet and I find it much easier on my knees than the elliptical.

Good Luck, but be safe, you really need your feet in good shape :)
  • abcmom03
    abcmom03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch....frozen water bottle and tape it up tight.
    I had it also and ended up having surgery because I didn't take care of it early enough!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Once you get your orthotics figured out never go barefoot. I have them in my walking shoes and my slippers. Birkenstocks actually help me too. I keep them by the bed and I get out of bed and slip right into them. It was so hard to give up going barefoot, but my plantar fasciitis thanks me. I live in a no shoe house, but I'm the only one who is allowed to wear shoes.

I remember once I got my footwear situation figured out and with icing my foot pain took a few months to settle down. Then I slowly began walking for exercise again.

Don't get discouraged. Keep working on it with your Dr. It will get better.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Been dealing with this for about 2 years. It's is maddening and depressing! Finally have been getting relief. I've been putting shoes on before I step foot on the floor in the morning. During the night, your body starts to repair that inflamed tissue. When you take your first steps in the morning, you are ripping that fascia apart again. The shoes help to support your foot and lessen the tearing, therefore allowing it to heal faster. I have a pair of Born clogs that I put on first thing in the morning. THE BEST THING! I know Born makes mens shoes also. Any shoe with good arch support will do. Try it for a few days. Hopefully it works for you too.

One other thing that has helped is taking four ibuprofen (800 mg) before bed.

Good luck. It sux - that is for sure!
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. My story is similar, so I sympathize. I still get flare ups periodically and I have tried most everything without a Rx. The pain is spectacular while it lasts. I have had broken bones in my feet that hurt a good deal less.

The good news is it is kind of a pain driven thing (for me anyway). The fascia stretching and tearing pretty much always delivers pain in proportion to the extent of the problem, so your pain level will tell you how far you can go if you listen to it. For regular cardio like walking mine never seems to get worse during the exercise, so if it's manageable at the start, I don't have any problem finishing. Sprinting or other power movements are another story. When you are kind of in-between when you can feel it, but it isn't terrible, rowing biking, elliptical or other non impact movements work pretty well.

If you are like me you may be prone to it for a long while, so you'll have to take steps to minmize flare ups.

What has worked for me:

1. Never go barefoot, wear something with an arch that fits your foot even around the house. Ortho inserts for your shoes can also help give better arch support and prevent the problem.

2. Use a night splint that keeps your foot flexed during sleep, which helps relieve the pressure. You can get them online or at your local drug store.

3. Roll a ball (baseball, golf ball, etc.) with some pressure under your arch periodically to break up scar tissue and relieve the tension. It hurts at first, but it does help with the pain. You can also roll a frozen 16oz water or gatorade bottle under there, which also provides some relief from swelling and pain.

4. Get a foam roller and roll out your calf muscles every day. Apparently too much tension in the calf can exacerbate the problem. This is a kind of Active Release Therapy without the actual physical therapy, which can also be an option.

5. Do towel stretches of your calf and hamstring every day to help prevent further problems.

6. Negative calf raises seem to help me prevent further problems when the pain subsides.

7. If all else fails, your local doctor may Rx cortizone shots and orther therapies. Mine mentioned them as an option, but wanted me to rest and try stretches first.

Good Luck!
  • yggdrasill2005
    Options
    I have it too and a bone spur. I had to stop running for while. However, I'm one of those who got a cortisone shot and it worked. Is it perfect? No, but the pain is minimal and I can walk. I ice daily using active wrap and have an AirCast in case I reinjure it. I got back on the cast for two weeks if necessary.

I was told by friends to NOT get the very expensive orthodics. I was told that they were impossible to wear with all shoes (I'm female so it might be different for you), and not very helpful to reduce pain and inflamation.

I bought Super Feet inserts at a running store for all of my walking/running shoes.

Good luck to you!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Calf stretching is key to keeping the problem at bay.

Both of my parents were long distance runners and both developed PF and heels spurs. My dad did the quick fix surgery while my mom eased the pain with cold wine bottles and stretching. My mom is pain free and can still run. My dad continues to struggle with both PF and spurts (he refuses the extra stretching).

Another suggestion is willPower and Grace if there is a certified class in your area. I started taking the class because I enjoyed the cardio portion but found out it is actually billed as a foot fitness class (you do it barefoot). I've noticed that since taking the class regularly, I have less tightness in my legs and feet when I run. I believe it is because I'm better aligned and now run toe to heel.

Here's the website: http://www.willpowermethod.com/willpower-grace

And yes, men do take the class :)

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I had this.., and as I've lost weight its gone. Keep focused and your food and macros and it will get better. I didn't have any treatment as I just put up with it. Weight loss was the cure! I have some amazing asics trainers right now! In general my legs and feet feel so much better since I got them x
  • robooth101
    robooth101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Golf ball/tennis ball/frozen soda bottle for stretching the fascia under your foot, and then read up on barefoot/minimalist running and why the shoes we wear cause all kinds of problems with our feet.

I'm NOT recommending you run barefoot, just that you think about how orthotics and other types of shoes restrict the natural movement of your foot and the problems that causes.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the great advise. I'm sorry to hear that so many others also suffer from this, but at the same time, it's good to hear that others have it, and find ways past it. Fortunately at this point, the pain is minimal, I just don't want to do anything to make it worse.

I'll try the stretching/golf ball/frozen water bottle route, and also orthotics (assuming that the Dr. prescribes them for me). I'll also give the bike and elliptical a harder try.

Thanks again!
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing a few years ago. Cortisone injections with wraps for about 3 weeks helped. Also an anti inflammatory meds. I now do stretches for my feet that seem to help. The orthotics were a complete waste of money. I spent $400 for 2 pieces of crap that stay in my dresser drawer. Invest in a good pair of shoes with good arch support. Check out Footsmart.com. Good luck!!!
  • antonette15
    antonette15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Along with everyone here, I have PF as well. I've been able to work with mine until I got serious with working out at the end of February. Walking was my main exercise and then I started running as my weight dropped. It was then that my PF really started hurting, the worst it's been for me. I saw my doctor and she recommended seeing a Physical Therapist. I eventually saw a therapist, but it was for my knee. I also hurt it because of running. Anyway, she also helped me with my PF. She gave me exercises to help me stretch it. It has really helped, plus icing it. I was told to walk from the arch of my feet to my toes, therefore relieving your heel from too much pressure. When you think about it, your heels get the most impact if you walk or run with your heels landing first. It opened my eyes to a lot of things. The one thing I would not recommend is to make it stop you from working out. There are lots of ways to relieve the pain or to exercise. If it gets that bad, your doctor might be able to give you cortisone shots. It might help to see a physical therapist, I know it made a HUGE difference for me!! I know it is different with everyone and what works for me might not work for you and vice versa. Hope that helps!
  • redrington
    Options
    Cortisone injection, stretching, ice and especially orthotics helped. I wear orthotics all the time or flip flops by ortha heel and have no problems now.
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I suffer with this too. Went to physical therapy and can handle it much better now. Elliptical trainer would be my choice during s flare.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I suffered with PF for years not knowing that was what it was. Every morning I'd get up and couldn't put any weight on my heel. Manage to hobble to the bathroom and then magically it would be gone. It would go away for awhile and then come back. Finally, I remembered to tell my doctor about it and he diagnosed it. He gave me a sheet of exercises and instruction for taping my foot. Stretching my foot and keeping it taped at night (24 hours for the first couple of weeks) was the most effective. I was worried about walking too but that actually helped although initially it was painful. Losing weight has brought a lot of relief.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I know my doc had me ice mine. I also ended up getting orthotics but I didn't do it through an orthotics doctor. I went to The Walking Company and had them measure my pressure points to tell me what sort of orthotic would work for me. The orthotics there are really cushy. I still go out on walks, even with pain, as I know I have to lose weight. But, they made a huge difference. I can spend most of the day on my feed without feeling like I'm dying of pain. Mornings are the worst.

I do take Motrin (ibuprofen) to reduce swelling when it gets really bad.

If you go online, you can probably type stuff like taping up foot for plantar fascitis and you'll find how to tape it up and that game me some relief as well. It could be that your current walking shoes aren't providing enough support and that caused the damage.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When mine flares up I resort to the Strausberg (sp?) sock when I sleep. It keeps the foot bent while you sleep so your tendon heals extended, so when you wake up you don't injure it again with your first step.