Does anyone read while they exercise?

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So, I'm going to say something, but I'm really nto being disrespectful. I see it sometimes, but I can't for the life of me figure out how one can read and exercise. I've tried it because it looks like fun. But, then my exercise was half-@$$ because I wasn't really pushing, but rather just turning the pedals. totally different. Yeah, when I see people reading, I don't really think they are working out much at all. Again, i do not mean any disrespect it's just my opinion since I've tried it. Maybe I'm just super bouncy.

I agree with you. If I'm on the treadmill I'm challenging myself, intervals of running or HIITS, alternating incline and flat surface.....my mind is on getting the most out of my workout not trying to keep my place in my book. Sitting down with a good book on the couch is the reward after the kick butt workout!
  • PuggleMama33
    PuggleMama33 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just saw someone at my gym walklng around the indoor track reading a book, thought that was a little strange. How can you watch where your are going if you looking at a book!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I only read if I have time to burn AFTER a serious workout (the kids want to hit the pool or I have half hour until I pick up someone from somewhere), otherwise I'm like so many who only get a half@ss burn....
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike at home, and I read while I'm pedaling, although usually just light reading. I find I lose about 50 calories of burn in 30 mins of pedaling if I'm reading something light, more if it is something I have to concentrate on.

However, I also find that I tend to lose track of time and keep pedaling for 35-45 minutes if I'm reading, so I figure it balances.

I respect all of you who are working on getting the maximum burn while you're working out, but I'm not going to freak about losing some calories per minute because I'm reading. It helps me pass the time, and gets me on the bike where I might otherwise be sitting on my fat (_)_) on the couch reading. Better a slower workout than none at all.

So, basically, if it's reading while working out vs not working out, pick up that book. If you're concerned with getting the most bang for your calories burned per minute buck, then trying to read while working out may not be your thing.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have tried to and It's to bumpy for me but I do love watching TV or DVD while at the gym. The treadmill's have there own DVD & TV on them at my gym.

And to all those people who are saying you don't get the burn ... At least were working out!
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I read all the time on the bike, I will put it on level 10 and read until I hit 8 miles. My knees kill me so this helps distract me from the pain.. I try to read some on the treadmill, I run/walk, when I walk I read, not so much when I run..
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    I can't...I've tried a magazine on the elliptical once years back but I think I would slack off if I did.

What I do now on cardio only days is listen to podcasts...my favourites are Freakonomics, This American Life and Savage Love (although I end up smiling embarrassingly with this one). I find I get wrapped up in the stories but can still maintain my focus when I'm jogging or cycling.
  • livingwithlam
    Options
    Some of the comments on here really made me laugh. :laugh:

But for me, personally -- I've never cracked open a book during a workout. Never even tried.. but I always, always listen to music on my phone. Either Pandora radio or stuff in my library. I also like to watch TV while exercising, while listening to my music. *shrug*

Kind of strange I suppose, but that's just me. :smile:
  • shm1289
    shm1289 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I used to read my textbooks while walking on the treadmill but stopped because I'd either get dizzy or have to walk so slow I didn't find it worthwhile. Now I just make sure to make time for both reading and exercising!
  • Yes. I have a Kobo e-reader & I just set it to a slightly darker & large font so I can read no prob while power walking or jogging on the treadmill. :bigsmile:
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people doing this at my gym. I don't because I get too distracted and lose my place too much. I do love listening to music though.
  • annie660
    Options
    I read while I am on the stationary bike. :happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I read all day long and even bring my Kindle to movies to read right up until the credits start. But if I can read while exercising, I need to turn the intensity way the heck up. I can't read, I can't listen to a book on tape, I can't concentrate on a tv show. Doesn't matter if I'm on a treadmill, elliptical, or spin bike.

No disrespect, but for anyone that can read during a workout I would suggest they try ramping the speed up much higher and seeing if they get a more effective workout. If there's a physical reason you can't I understand, as I had to spend a lot of slow time on a treadmill rehabbing from knee surgery. But if you don't have a physical impairment, try hitting both of the UP buttons on the machine until it's a fight just to stay on it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I read all day long and even bring my Kindle to movies to read right up until the credits start. But if I can read while exercising, I need to turn the intensity way the heck up. I can't read, I can't listen to a book on tape, I can't concentrate on a tv show. Doesn't matter if I'm on a treadmill, elliptical, or spin bike.

No disrespect, but for anyone that can read during a workout I would suggest they try ramping the speed up much higher and seeing if they get a more effective workout. If there's a physical reason you can't I understand, as I had to spend a lot of slow time on a treadmill rehabbing from knee surgery. But if you don't have a physical impairment, try hitting both of the UP buttons on the machine until it's a fight just to stay on it.
    Word. All of this.

(except I listen to audiobooks on long, slow treadmill runs.)
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't. But I just about died laughing yesterday when I saw a lady power walking while reading a novel. Not saying there is anything wrong with it if you can do it, I had just never seen something like that before.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    No disrespect,

Yeah, right. People read because it passes the time. If they didn't, they would not work out as long. That wouldn't help them, would it?

Anyways, I read when I'm on the elliptical. I can't read when on the treadmill but I watch the tv.
  • ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I read when I'm on the exercise bike!
  • GDGDbabybaby
    Options
    I watch doctor who on my ipod :I
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I've seen lots of people read. But, if I did and tried to workout hard, no matter what kind of machine I was on, I'd probably fall on my face.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    When I ride rollers in the winter (when it is too wet to ride) I read books on a Kindle App for my iPhone... I attach it to a mount on the handlebars. It bounces around a little but I like to spin for a couple of hours and it is the best way to stay sane.