build a booty

Options
Help me out! Best exercises to get some shapely junk in my trunk???

thanks!

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    squats, deadlifts & lunges

all HEAVY
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    Zumba! i have been doing this for over a year, and when I started I had a real flabby booty. Now, my booty is like a rock. All my friends in class love to watch me shake it.lol ( sorry, I am tooting my own horn, but I am proud of my new booty) i worked really hard to get it. And All I did was Dance! I have gained 20 pounds in muscle, most of it in my booty. Now I really need to tone up my lower tummy and i will be happy.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options

all HEAVY

+1...bar none..the best..also try weighted stair climbing
  • sjeannot
    Options
    Have you tried squats or maybe leg lifts? Get down on all fours. Lift one leg up and pulse it for about a minute or two. Change to other leg and repeat. That works the glutts well.
  • peacelovelose
    peacelovelose Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'll echo everyone else who has been saying squats and lunges! I've been trying to build up my booty (like, putting in actual, regular effort) for only a few months and I can already see that my butt is bigger and rounder! I love it!
  • Squats lunges donkey kicks with a 5lb ankle weight
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options

all HEAVY

Also weighted glute bridges are great
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

all HEAVY

Also weighted glute bridges are great
    +1

And single leg RDLs, DB step-ups, DB reverse lunges
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    <~~Squats, deadlifts, and running.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    What if you have knees that don't appreciate squats & lunges? Are there favorites out there that won't kill my knees?
  • jmefierce
    Options

all HEAVY

+1...bar none..the best..also try weighted stair climbing

Agreed to all of this, and also walking on the incline on the treadmill- NO HOLDING ON- and doing good ole squat holds against the wall. All of these will build some junk in the trunk and shape it nicely- you can do donkey kicks with resistance bands or with a cable once you're satisfied with the amount of muscle and want to shape it. :)
  • nbeth901
    nbeth901 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What if you have knees that don't appreciate squats & lunges? Are there favorites out there that won't kill my knees?

I would like to know this as well. My knees cant take a whole lot either!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I second the squats, lunges, and variations thereof. Wall sits, donkey kicks, all good stuff.

Running is also great for building glutes. That's actually why we have that muscle larger than in chimps, because it provides stability while running.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options

There are few useful exercises working hamstrings and glutes that do not involve the knees in some way.

What is wrong with your knees? Worn cartilage? Bionic replacements?

Knees need to strengthen in order to handle the stress of a workout. We all have a learning curve for how much is just enough to push our joints without damaging them. If there is no way you can work the knees, I second anemoneprose's suggestion of the single leg romanian deadlift.

But anything that stimulates a fairly deep knee bend engaging the major posterior muscles is still your best option for muscle development.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Maybe good mornings, or reverse hyperextensions, for bad knees?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    - Squats and Conventional Deadlifts for sure, weight that can't be done more than 3 to 5 reps.
    - Romanian Deadlifts: sets of 8 - 10 reps
    - Back Hyperextensions sets of 8-10 reps
    - Walking lunges (long stride, go deep - knee should touch the ground) 8 - 10 reps
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I would like to know this as well. My knees cant take a whole lot either!

Squats and DL's are fine for knees if your form is good, bad form and your knees will be hurt. You can always get knee wraps for added support. But if you strengthen your quads and hamstrings I think you'll find your knee's health improve.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

all HEAVY

This ^^^
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult if you have knee problems. Start at the weights you can handle and make sure you have proper form before going heavy, but then do increase and go heavier.

Reverse lunges are easier on the knees than forward lunges (you can also have your rear foot elevated on a step). Hold heavy dumbbells

Dumbbell step ups or dumbbell sprinter step ups or offset loaded step ups are good, just make sure your knee is parallel when on the step.

I'm recovering from a knee injury right now as well, so Romanian deadlifts in combination with bent over rows are better than conventional ones right now.

Glute bridges

I also do single leg romanian deadlifts and one point rows.

Leg press maybe

Sumo squats are sometimes easier on the knee.

I'm also a dancer and do yoga.

The New Rules of Lifting for Life (book) is helping me while I recover from this recent flare up of my knee injuries.

You need to find what works for you.

I'll be reading the responses for more ideas as well.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options

all HEAVY

This ^^^

Holla!! Yes!!