Is a 340lb leg press good for a female?

Options
After doing some research I've gotten some mixed reviews on leg press machines, I would rather do squats but I typically don't go to the gym with anyone and I would want to have a spotter. Today I leg pressed 340lbs, the max on the machine is 380lbs, I am 5ft 9.5inches and around 197-198lbs I also had my ACL reconstructed last year. I'm just trying to gauge how well I'm doing, seeing as it seems like an impressive amount of weight.

Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's a good start for sure :)

No squat racks or power racks or pillars of power at your gym I take it?
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I love doing squats and as I dont' have a spotter I don't do it to the point of failure. As long as there's a squat rack I don't see it as a problem. I'd be pretty proud to leg press 340lbs!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    V squat and inclined leg press that both use plates. That will get you beyond the limit if a machine.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    use the smith machine to start with squats until you get your full strength up
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Actual weight lifted on a leg press = (weight on the machine)*sin(angle of the machine)
    Weight lifted on a squat = weight of the bar + weight on the bar + 80% (or so) of your body weight

So 340 lbs on the leg press would be equivalent to about 150lb (105lbs + bar) squat give or take.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I cannot do a barbell squat. My left arm can't go back far enough. :explode:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I love doing squats and as I dont' have a spotter I don't do it to the point of failure. As long as there's a squat rack I don't see it as a problem. I'd be pretty proud to leg press 340lbs!

^This! Also, check and see if they have sissy bars, if that would make you feel more comfortable.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Oh god no, don't use the smith machine.

Just squat weight you know you can squat without a spotter in the squat rack.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved throwing on some big plates and pressin it out..its amazing how strong female legs are.. Ive even had men look over and their jaw drop. Mind you, i didnt press heavy ALL the time..but its so empowering :p
  • blueandigo
    Options
    Not being perverted but can I see your legs? Because 340lbs of leg pressing is insane and requires some muscles lol.

I can only do them on the machines since I have hip problems.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That is awesome for anyone let alone a female. Just a lil safety tip though...it may be obvious to you and everyone else but maybe not-if /when you do start squating ( in my opinion, the best overall exercise) please, dont start off with 340 pounds on the bar...the weight its totally different than on a leg press machine and way much more heavy. Just my two stupid lil cents, lol. Great job!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

This. Squatting in a rack will give you much better results than a leg press. The press balances the weight for you and gives false confidence because it allows you to do much higher weight than you would be able to do on your own. The machine is basically doing a lot of the work for you.

Free weights will truly work all the major and stabilizer muscles, and although you won't be able to do as much weight at first, you can be confident that you are lifting every one of those pounds on your own.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
    I'm curious as well. I do a 305lb leg press, but haven't tried beyond that. As for squats, I do them on the Smith machine because my husband hogs the rack. LOL The most I have squated to date is 100lbs. That was two weeks ago. I haven't been able to do anymore squats because I hurt my knee running.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options

This. Squatting in a rack will give you much better results than a leg press. The press balances the weight for you and gives false confidence because it allows you to do much higher weight than you would be able to do on your own. The machine is basically doing a lot of the work for you.

Free weights will truly work all the major and stabilizer muscles, and although you won't be able to do as much weight at first, you can be confident that you are lifting every one of those pounds on your own.

agreed :)
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options

it can be argued all day how "bad" it is for you, but for starters and injured use light weight to get the motions down...though it changes when you start using free weights...its not an exercise you want to always do...

the other machine you can use is the hack or power squat, i love those
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    After doing some research I've gotten some mixed reviews on leg press machines, I would rather do squats but I typically don't go to the gym with anyone and I would want to have a spotter. Today I leg pressed 340lbs, the max on the machine is 380lbs, I am 5ft 9.5inches and around 197-198lbs I also had my ACL reconstructed last year. I'm just trying to gauge how well I'm doing, seeing as it seems like an impressive amount of weight.

Thanks for any feedback!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/368257-the-average-weight-for-leg-press-exercises/

I would honestly say that this is very untrained numbers. Good news is it should go up very fast.
  • Rollie277
    Rollie277 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was a 250lb female (still am female hehhe) that could squat 120lb free weight.... you get better results with free weights. Any meat head can spot you, but you want to video tape yourself for form (can get free feedback at www.reddit.com/r/ .... free weights or fitness, etc. lots of fitness forums).

If you do not use great form with high weight squats, you will strain a joint and will have to take a break. My break undid seven months of hard work in 3 months :(
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    For you experts out there... How is it that I can do 320 on the leg press, but can barely do a squat with ANY weight? It is not too heavy by any means... But my knees just kinda lock up after a certain point, and I can't get into full formation. I have tried for years... :(
  • katie190177
    katie190177 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I generally do have very strong legs, and my gym is at my university. It does have squat racks but they're usually occupied by insanely jacked guys (not that I'm too intimidated). I'm not very confident in my squat seeing as I haven't really attempted a weighted squat in about 2 years which was prior to my knee surgery. I think tomorrow I might humor myself and give it a try later in the night when there's not so many people to gage how much I should start with. Also, wondering if anyone has any specific exercises to blast away inner thigh fat :grumble: that and my stomach are my only real trouble zones.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The question really is... Is this good for YOU... With the reconstruction I would take care to not overdo and to build slowly. If this is providing significant resistance for you, then yes, it is really good. If your joints are hurting after doing it, you may want to back down a bit. We have a leg press machine at our gym that allows you to use weights to add resistance so the limit is not bad. You said that your machine only goes to 380 so that tells me it is likely a bar-weight machine... You can expand this capacity to 760 effective pounds by doing single leg extensions. These are usually better than using both legs anyway because it prevents you from using your dominant leg more heavily than the first; in squats, (this usually is not an issue because if you use one leg more than the other, you would fall toward the weak side). In my case I do double leg extensions due to an old knee injury in one knee so the other leg provides support for that leg... but optimally, it is better to do single leg extensions. Best wishes on your continued success.