Where are all my vegetarians/vegans?!?

Options
YourCatalyst429
YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
Looking for some new meal ideas! I totally have made every fake meat meal I can think of...hoping you all can help me out! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SherahLovesHealth
    SherahLovesHealth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey Girlie, I am a vegan!!! What type of meals are you looking to make? I make this tofu scrambler with firm tofu, liptons's veggie soup mix, garlic powder, onion powder and curry powder. It is really delicious!!!
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    I'm a vegan too! I made a really good soup today with potato, vegan sausage, veggie broth, red pepper flakes and veggie broth. It is fantastic and spicy!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm using nut meat to make chilli con carne for lunch on Saturday (really high protein meals I save for post-weight training, and Saturday morning is my next one scheduled).

Another great dish I made recently is a Chinese vegetable dish. I lightly steam some mushrooms (preferably swiss brown, or ****ake) and very lightly steam some bok choy or something similar. Then I put them in the wok and add some slices of seasoned tofu (in Chinese its called gan tofu - or dry tofu, its soft with brown skin but pale insides). You could use smoked tofu as well. I stir fry with a little bit of soy sauce (I use temari), oyster sauce (I don't consider oysters as animals, but you can use mushroom sauce t if its a problem for you) and black bean sauce, and some finely chopped fresh chilli. You can add some sichuan peppers if you like, or drop the chilli - its up to you.

I tend to include msg and a little bit of sea salt, but there's no need really. This is called Gan tofu qing cai (in fine Chinese tradition, it means "dry tofu and green-vegetable")
    nb: Qing is pronounced "ching" and cai is pronounced tsai, not kai, and it rhymes with eye.

By the way, I noticed the other day that vegi burders typically have the same calorie, carbs, protein content as those protein bars sold at the gym, except you get 4 of them for AU$5 instead of 1 protein bar. I started having the pattie straight out of the fridge as a post gym snack ;)
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    -I find that I feel better physically if I avoid faux meats for the most part...plus, that stuff is SO fattening! Have you tried making homemade vegan gnocchi? Mix with a good organic tomato sauce (or gorgonzola sauce, my fave) and garnish with a basil leaf.

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/italian/potato.html

-You can also make vegan potstickers...I like using tofu, cabbage and portobello mushrooms in mine, but the sky is the limit! Here's a good recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Best-Vegetarian-Pot-Stickers-32783

-I'm a sucker for Italian cuisine, and I very much enjoy a good bruschetta. Dice up some tomatoes, shred basil, drizzle olive oil. Load on some slices of good, crusty italian bread and pop in the broiler for 5-ish minutes....heaven *drool*
  • SherahLovesHealth
    SherahLovesHealth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nut meat? What does that taste like, is it good? I really do not like the taste of the imitation meats, is it similar in taste?
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian (eating seafood maybe 1-2 times/month) and I'm with rabbitapparatus - I try to avoid the fake meats as well, I'm finding that soy does not sit well with me. One of my new faves is a portobello mushroom stuffed with spinach, tomato slices, onions, green peppers and topped with cheese - bake for about 10 minutes and enjoy! I love it!
  • YourCatalyst429
    Options
    Hm strange I've never had a problem with imitation meat when it comes to too much fat or taste....what kinda are you all using? Morning star is awesome!! I also like the boca chick*n nuggets.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I began an affair with beans about 8 months ago and let go of alot of the fake meat stuff. I just made ww rotini with marinara and topped it with white beans. It was fantastic! And I know many people fear the gas from beans, but that didn't last long for me.

I tried to go vegan, but seemed to eat cheese unconsciously.:laugh: I don't know what to do without cheese.

My favorite quick easy meal is this:

Steamed broccoli, beans (depends on mod and whats on hand), sauteed onions and peppers, brown basmati rice, any other assorted veggies on hand, and toss in Zip sauce.

(Zip sauce is for steak and your supposed to mix it with butter or oil, but I just toss a little over my mixture right out of the bottle and enjoy)
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Hm strange I've never had a problem with imitation meat when it comes to too much fat or taste....what kinda are you all using? Morning star is awesome!! I also like the boca chick*n nuggets.

I use morningstar, boca and lightlife. I do eat it more in the summer than winter (when the hubby and I grill out). I really like the buffalo nuggets from boca, the spicy black bean burgers from morningstar and the crumbles from both. I still eat them, just not nearly as often as I used to. Between the soy upsetting my stomach and the sodium I just try to limit my intake. I will say that I deeply miss the corndogs and hotdogs from morningstar. I even wrote them in hopes that they were out there somewhere, but unfortunately they discontinued them.

RIP morningstar veggie dogs :cry:
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    I'm Vegan. I don't eat the fake meats too often, mostly because I don't miss meat all that much. (Cheese is another story altogether...) But I am also staying away from processed foods as much as possible

When I want "comfort food" from the meat loving days, I do find that a nice shepherds pie can be made using TVP rehydrated with No Chicken Broth - add spices and veggies of choice. Top with mashed potatoes (made with vegan margarine and almond milk). Bake at 350 for a half hour. Yum! Not super healthy, but better than the real thing.

Mostly I make soups. I LOVE soup. And I rarely use a recipe, though I have lots. I'm more of a "Hey, I have this, let's throw it in the pot and see what happens" type of soup maker. You'll find that just about anything works as a soup. Use lentils for protein, barley for whole grains, and you have yourself a totally nutritious, mighty tasty dinner. Or, as I do, I make one big pot on Sunday and eat it all week. :smile:
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    Look online. Theres tons of websites that have great ideas for vegetarians/vegans. Im not a vegetarian, but i try to substitute dairy as much as possible so i go to different sites to find good ideas.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nut meat? What does that taste like, is it good? I really do not like the taste of the imitation meats, is it similar in taste?

It's quite a bit like mince meat (I accidentally had some in my eggplant just now [made the restaurant take it back], so I can confirm the texture is similar) but the taste is a bit different. It comes in a can so you need to crumble it up a bit. I'd have to say it isn't a delicacy, but sometimes you just need something to sink your teach into, especially when you're new to being vegan. It also opens up a whole range of comfort foods from childhood. You could probably make lasagna, cottage pie (shepherd's pie?) or anything based on mince meat with it. Or you can use it for a burger patty, but there are better things available for that.

As for nutritional info, its quite good.
    1 serve = 85g (about the size of a burger patty)
    179 cals
    18.6g protein
    8.5g fat
    5.9g carbs
    310mg sodium
    11% Iron

I find iron really hard to get, so its a bonus there, and the protein is good for after gym sessions (sometimes I use it to substitute for protein bars, which I don't like). If you're like me, you need a few higher calorie dense foods to reach your target, so this can be useful. But like I said, the taste itself isn't spectacular, it just tastes a lot like mince meat.

I don't usually eat substitute meats because I don't actually like the taste of meat any more and I prefer to eat mostly unprocessed whole foods. But I did see a vegan "lentil and potato curry pie" at the supermarket and bought it. I can't wait to pretend to watch the footy so I can eat it and feel like a real Aussie ;)
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OMG! Morning Star Chik'n Nuggets....so tasty.

Meat substitutes are quite high in sodium, and many are as high in fat as their meaty alternatives. There's also all the controversy about soy/soy products and their phytoestrogen...I think it's a bunch of crap, but you never know. I personally try to keep my diet as veggie-based as possible and try to avoid using substitutes as a 'Crutch'.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like fake meat too, but the truth is the more "pure" or unprocessed the food, the lower it will most likely be in fat, calories and sodium. Try getting a lowfat vegetarian cookbook. Moosewood lowfat favorites is a good one.
  • McFatterton
    Options
    How many of you use TVP? I just bought it for the first time tonight - gotta say I'm a little skeptical - looks scary. Hoping I can get past the look of it.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I eat so much TVP, its so easy to use, just remember to hydrate it properly and that you really need to cover it with a sauce or flavouring of some kind. I usually use either tamari, ginger and chili, or crushed tomato/pasta sauce.

Then just mix it with some veggies and meal done :)

Pretty much use it like you would fairly tasteless mince. Very quick and convienient.

Just make sure you don't go overboard on the soy, it can have some pretty crazy effects on your body and hormones, which can be annoying.,..
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    this site is actually amazing

check it out :)

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/
  • snowflowr82
    snowflowr82 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The best fake meat in the world is FriChik, Linketts, Saucettes, Nuteena, veggie scallops and Choplets and the only ones that are somewhat fattning is the Nuteena which is a peanut meat about 160 cal per slice.. These are Amazing meats there is no way you guys can dislike them!!!! I grew up eating meat at every meal and i love this stuff!! It was an easy convert for me. I just had two choplets for dinner tonight and it was only 90 calories! These are either worthington or loma linda brand if you guys havent tried them you must!!!!! kinda expensive but my husbands family is vegetarian so they buy through their church the seventh day adventist sells them i think thats pretty much the only place you can buy them we buy it all in cases.. Some things we do with them are

Linketts replace hotdogs
    Saucettes replaces sausage
    FriChik we use on all major holidays as our turkey/chicken meat so good breaded and fried (this will raise the fat content obviously)
    Scallops you bread and cook and put over rice with cheese (done before i started dieting haha)
    Choplets you also bread and fry but i dont use oil they cook just fine I also dice it and dice potatoes and dice cheese with seasonings and a watered down soy sause then make a homemade crust over the top its called pasty vegetarian style
    Nuteena we use as a meat you just slice and cook we eat these with vegetarian mayo called veganaise and cheese sandwich YUMMY but fattening

There is also Veggie Burger in the can i use it for everything from shephards pie to taco's
    We use vegetarian nalley chili to make hay stacks which are frito's layered with chili, lettuce, cheese and whatever toppings you want like tomatoes dressings, salsa ect.... super good
    We also use morning star sausages alot i make an amazing lasagna with it in substitute for sausage and i use low fat mozzerella cheese and cottage cheese instead of Ricotta.

Another good meat is Big Franks you can use in substitute for hotdogs too whats really good (these are a bit more fattening) is slice them lenthwise put a bit of cheese in the split and pour barbeque sauce or hawaian sauce then layer in a baking dish with a little sauce underneath them then put in the oven until cheese is bubbly.. yummy appetizers.

All these things can be converted to lower fat by not using oil ect just have to use a nonstick pan.. since the meat themselves isnt all that fattening and with high protein.. good luck as you can tell i'm passionate about my veggie meat and i have many friends that are terrified to eat veggie meat but Love it when i cook it... take care
  • YourCatalyst429
    Options
    I found this killer website last night:

http://www.veganyumyum.com/

Yes I know there are a million websites out there but honestly I've look at A LOT of them! Seriously spend hours meal planning each week. As far as this whole fake meat thing goes I think its alright because I am doing it in moderation I mean I usually cut whatever meal I'm making half crumbles half beans. I've never had a problem staying with in my goal.
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian (eating seafood maybe 1-2 times/month) and I'm with rabbitapparatus - I try to avoid the fake meats as well, I'm finding that soy does not sit well with me. One of my new faves is a portobello mushroom stuffed with spinach, tomato slices, onions, green peppers and topped with cheese - bake for about 10 minutes and enjoy! I love it!

LOVE the portobellos! I hollow mine out, sautee the insides with garlic, kale, onions, and a little celery in olive oil. Top with cheese and bake. It's AWESOME!! I will have to try your portobello stuffing out next week! Sounds great!