Dietary Fibre/Fiber

Options
The recommended daily intake of dietary fibre for bowel health is 21g for over fifties (25g for adults under fifty).
So why is my MFP target for fibre only 14g?

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's too low. I always have to adjust mine manually
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I have mine set for 21g right now, but I'm pretty sure I had to set that manually. For me, though, so long as I put the numbers in the red on that one, I'm happy.

Edit for incomplete sentence/thought.....wtf?
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think MFP has an overly simplistic scaling system for macronutrients and fibre. It's probably scaled as a percentage, based on your calories or carb intake or something. It's best to ignore it, and customize your intake based on the recommendations of a couple cross-referenced, reputable sources. You can customize this through My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals, I think.
  • SylvieThredds
    Options
    Thank you.
    I have been ignoring the MFP target - as I do in some other categories - and am always in the red, but was curious about being given such a low level to aim for.
    As an F-Plan dieter in the past I got used to a high fibre intake and never really gave up the habit, but I suppose suddenly jumping straight to 20+ could have repercussions for those who have previously had very little fibre in their diet.
    MFP maybe errs on the side of caution?