Running question - achey shins?

Options
Okay, so I've had shin splints - sharp shin pains that get worse as I run, jump, etc. I don't think that's what I'm having now and the pain is not sharp - just dull and achey.

I run 3x a week right now, about 3miles each time. The first few minutes my shins ache and then about 1/2 a mile into the run they feel fine. Occasionally through the day my shins will just ache - the pain is in the area of the shin bone (I have no idea if it's bone or tendon, it's not muscular though I don't think as there's no tightening at all). Ibuprofin or a hot bath relieves the pain entirely.

So, is this one of the normal running aches/pains that will get better the more I run? Or something more sinister? I started running at the end of July...well, I did the C25K program starting then, haha! I really like running, just want to make sure achey shins aren't a sign I'm doing something wrong. I didn't really think much of it but my husband runs too and he's never sore or anything unless he pushes really hard for a better pace - he pointed that out and said he was worried about me. So, I turn to MFP, of course! :)

Replies

• theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Sounds like the pain could be a result of your shoes. Do you have running shoes that work for your feet? And by that I'm asking you if you have purchased shoes after your feet and gait have been analyzed at a running store. I'm almost totally flat footed, for example, and wear motion control stability shoes by Brooks.
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    I would suggest getting new shoes!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a gait analysis, no, but I did test drive a lot of shoes and went to a few stores around me - we're broke. I had to pick from what I could afford, unfortunately - it was that or not run. The ones I got feel good to run in, way better than what I used to work out and what I did the first month of the program in, but the achey shins have been since I started the program. Like I said, I really didn't think much of it until my husband told me he was worried.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I get "Tweaks and creaks" in my knees, calves, shins all the time. They do not cripple me - just a dull ache. I have yet to get a new pair of shoes (been running since march 20k in june, 1/2 marathon coming in october). Usually after the next run, things start to feel better. I just get rest after a big run and stretch and hydrate the best I can. Ive had aches along the length of my shins also but was gone after two days. I think shin splints are "REAL NASTY" and you would not be able to run or jump without big time pain.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Shoes Shoes Shoes!

Also you want to pay attention to how your running, specifically on how your feet hit the ground. If you land on your toes, your calves will get tight or fatigue quickly and you may develop shin pain. Landing on your heels means you have overstrided and you're braking, which wastes energy and may cause injury. Try to land on the middle of your foot, and then roll through to the front of your toes.

http://running.about.com/od/faqsforbeginners/f/landingfoot.htm
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html
  • sarahr214
    Options
    Good runnng shoes defiantly help. Also before and after a run stretch that area out 10 x each leg (ie flexing your foot upwards then outwards) - I find this really helps with any shin aches. I have been running for a while now and the initial aching I did experience has minimised to almost nothing, unless when I push myself a little more! :smile:
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I guess I'll have to figure out how to work that into the budget somehow. Since it's just achiness, is it urgent? My birthday is in November and I will have some extra then.
  • suzita77
    Options
    I've actually had the same problem and my shoes were too stable. They weren't allowing my feet to pronate fully causing my shins to get tight. I also found that running more on the balls of my feet rather than my heels relieved the strain on my shins. When you run heel first it tends to pound your legs a lot more. It feels funny at first but give it a try. Also if you have a chance to ice your shins after your run that may help with swelling/inflammation. I get two wather bottles and freeze them. When I return from my run I ice my shins rolling the water but on them. It helps. Good luck. I know how frustrating achey shins can be:)
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    i agree w shoes.
    (and water??? do you get enough?)
    also- is it just one leg? where are you running? if you are a road runner- remember the road crowns, so if you always run on the left (facing traffic), you are always pounding the ground with both feet tilted down left and the left foot lower than the right. Which over time can cause some serious bone and muscle alignment problems! so go ahead & break the law- run at least 1/2 your time on the right side of the road!!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Yes, if you want to keep running, it's important that you make a change soon. Shin pain is bad, bad news if it doesn't get fixed. I had to take several weeks off at one point a few years ago because of a particularly nasty case of shin splints. The GOOD news is, though, that new running shoes should do the trick. And, as another reply suggested, thinking about your form might help too.

Best of luck.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    OMG I get such bad shin pain. I have tibial torsion so that doesn't help either. I have found that concentrating on my gait and how I Step realllllllllyyyy helps. ALso stretching after a run and hot showers
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the pain could be a result of your shoes. Do you have running shoes that work for your feet? And by that I'm asking you if you have purchased shoes after your feet and gait have been analyzed at a running store. I'm almost totally flat footed, for example, and wear motion control stability shoes by Brooks.

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12's here... love 'em!
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Another vote for shoes. Go to a running store, get your gait analyzed, and ask for the low cost options. Once you know what you need you can also look on-line for better deals. There are a lot of places to find shoes at a lower price once you know what you should buy.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I have a midfoot strike, fortunately, and don't start on my heel :)

Yes, my water intake is/should be fine - ranges from 8-12 8-10oz glasses a day.

I wouldn't describe it as shin pain. It's not acute or sharp - it's just a dull ache. Almost reminds me of when I used to get growing pains as a child, except those hurt worse! :)
  • charleneagilmore
    charleneagilmore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Shoes could definitely help, but if you don't have a budget for a new pair, I recommend doing stretching and strengthening exercises for your calves specifically. I had exact same problem for awhile and I found it was always worse when 1) I ran right after work (office job- so I sit all day) and 2) when I ran on pavement.

For the first issue, a massage therapist friend of mine told me he thought that sitting all day really cuts off circulation in lower legs and w/ shins specifically- if there is any inflammation, it'll just get worse w/ sitting. So, I started stretching a lot during day and also moving around more. I also began massaging my lower legs and calves.

For the second one, I started running on a bridle path w/ packed granite and the softer surface helped. There are definitely muscles or tissues that are attached to your shins and they can get inflamed and sore. The softer surface helped me the most at first.

I also started a strength training and boot camp class and I've lost 40 lbs. The issue has nearly gone away entirely. My shins are sore to touch after working out or running, but not as I run anymore. As you run more - you will hopefully lose any excess weight and your legs will get stronger. In the meantime, take Advil as needed or massage your calves w/ a foam roller or even roll a softball or tennis ball over the shin areas.

Good luck.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints bad. Come to find out the problem was my gait - I heel strike really bad in regular shoes. I started using minimalist shoes that keeps me from heel striking and the problem is solved. Check out proper running form on youtube - then analyze your gait. You should not land on your heel when running, but more on the ball/mid part of the foot. This may help your shin problems - especially if you cannot afford different shoes. I will say that shoes do make a huge difference
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't have shin splints, although I did when I started running back in March! I have almost a cramping feeling in my shins the first mile or so. I played around with my pace and found that if I run slower (11min mile) they don't bother me. A few weeks ago I was able to run 2.5 miles without stopping, walked for 30 seconds and finished a total run of 4 miles. I know an 11 min mile isnt going to set any records but I hope my shins will get stronger and I can increase my pace. Good luck!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. I don't think it's shin splints - the pain is nothing like I've heard shin splints described - but I will go for a gait analysis as soon as I can afford to.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. I don't think it's shin splints - the pain is nothing like I've heard shin splints described - but I will go for a gait analysis as soon as I can afford to.

When you get fitted, explain your budget restriction to the employee at the running store. They can help you find a shoe that works for you and then maybe you can find it online cheaper? My friend had her analysis done recently and then found last year's version of the shoe she needed for half the cost.
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about the miracle of ice. Your muscles around your shin bones take time to develop - unfortunately. The only way to develop those muscles is by running.

If you absolutely can't afford new shoes, then atleast look for somewhere to run that will be easy on your legs...concrete is the worst. Asphalt is not far behind. Look for trails that are safe, or a rubber track (area schools). This will help minimize the impact will allowing you to build those muscles.

Ice atleast 3 times a day to reduce inflammation.