What do you eat before a run??

Options
I just started the c25k training, and hit the gym just about an hour or so after eating breakfast. What are some of the best breakfast choices to fuel the workout? Thanks guys!

Replies

• USCluv29
    Options
    Honestly, I've been running for almost 10 years and typically unless I have like 2-3 hrs. in between run and food, I don't eat. But I would say something like 2 slices of a true true whole grain toast (Alvarado Bakery or Ezekiel are both great choices) with a little butter or jam if you like (I do not) or a piece of fruit like an apple. You don't want anything with too high a water content, like yogurt or berries for example, if you're going for a long run because it might make you feel like you have to pee every 5 minutes and that's like the worst. A light protein (e.g. fish or eggs) and veggies is also a great option. Stay away from things that take a long time to digest like heavy carbs b/c that can hold you back. Besides the less food you have in your stomach, the more the run will go to actually burning other fat. If you have a lot of food in your stomach, part of the workout goes to digesting that food, so I prefer working out completely digested. Hope that helps. Have a great day!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I usually eat half a whole wheat english muffin with banana and almond butter on it. Gives me energy. Afterwards, I drink muscle milk or chocolate fat free milk.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. I typically don't eat anything before a run (just a cup of coffee) because it upsets my stomach. However, i'm running my first 10K this Sunday and am thinking it might be good to get some sort of high protien food in my body.

I think i'm going with 1/2 a Balance Bar or something equivelent just for some extra fuel.

After my runs is when I usually eat. Most often a banana and greek yogurt or hard boiled egg.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    When I first started C25K I used to eat a Fat Free english muffin with hummus on it. With longer runs (greater than 4 miles) I eat a Powerbar Nut Naturals bar. I have a problem with low blood sugar so I always have to eat before going out.

Good Luck with the running.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I dont eat for 2-3 hours before I run unless I am running in the morning. If I am running in the morning then I'll have a banana before I go. It's about the only thing that sits well in my stomach.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'll usually have a banana or a gronola bar before I run in the morning and then after I'll have a "real breakfast" This is consitent with what I usually have before races too- I think its good to stick to your normal routine for race day.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I usually eat a banana prior to a run regardless of the length of the run. Afterwards, I'll eat a hardboiled egg or a glass of choco milk.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind I've only been running since early fall. For most of that I would run as soon as I got up, and go on 2 sips of water and an empty stomach. Mostly because that's what I'm most comfortable, not because I beleive I'll burn more fat that way. Which I beleive is false.

However, as I've been getting into longer runs and burning over 1000 kcal in under 50 min I've been rethinking that I need to eat something before my run. A banana sounds like a good idea.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will give these options a try! I've been cramping on my runs, I can see why now! I usually eat egg beaters and a piece of morning star sausage, and no carbs. I will try going with something easy to digest but gives me the energy I need. After I run I go into strength training, so I definitely need to eat. I'm usually in the gym an 1 1/2 hours. Thanks again!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    A banana works best for me. Easy to digest and keeps me going!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I was reading runner's world magazine this weekend and they suggest having a bowl of oatmeal with a cup of coffee if you run after breakfast. Another great option was to make a 300 calorie smoothie and drink half of it before the run and the other half after the run. Just some ideas for you.