Elliptical vs treadmill

Options
I can go at a pretty good clip on a treadmill for 35-45 minutes, but I am embarrassed to get on an elliptical machine. My thighs begin to burn badly to the point of turning my quads into a quivering mass within 2-3 minutes of working on that machine. So I avoid the elliptical, but I see others on those machines going like the Energizer bunny. What is my problem? Is it that the elliptical works a completely different set of muscles? Is this an indication that I NEED to force myself to do the elliptical?

Replies

• Peeriegemgem
    Options
    I think its the resistance of the cross trainer, if its too high, it burns and takes getting used too, but you can set it really low and fly like the energiser bunny without much bother! I do both as I feel the cross does more for the tops of my thighs and abs and arms if you get more into it. Each to their own :)
  • Debell92
    Options
    It really is a whole different exercise. Keep trying it - maybe mix it up with the treadmill - and decide if you like it. Figure out your goal - is it to just get through the workout quickly or is it to keep increasing your distance or resistance or whatever. Once you know where you want to go, you'll be able to get there.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I love the elliptical and am one of those energizer bunnys your talking about when I get on one. lol. But with the treadmill, my calves cramp up like nothing else and I cant stay on it for very long! I was always look at people on the treadmill like "how do they do that!?" I think I have a harder time on the treadmill because I'm not controlling the speed, the machine is. I try to keep getting on it though because I figure my body has to get used to it eventually. haha.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Maybe the treadmill just fits your stride better.

I never really feel comfortable on elliptical machines. Be it the resistance, the stride length or the way it forces me to stop putting one foot directly in front of the other and instead keep them apart, I don't know. Treadmill just feels more natural.