Get in the sauna!

Options
I was told by my Zumba instructor that sitting in the sauna for 30 minutes burns 300 calories. She says it speeds up the molecules in our bodies...or something to that effect.

I had no idea! I don't like overheating, but I'm so tempted to try this tonight at the gym!

She said make sure and bring a ton of water with lemon in there with you so you can drink drink drink!

Replies

• xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    OMG I totally love the sauna so I'm going to be frequenting it a lot more from now on! Thanks!
  • nurseandi
    Options
    HMM interesting. I also don't like overheating, makes me dizzy and nauseous no matter how how much h20 i drink. i heard it is good for you skin as well. I think i will try thia at the gym tonight
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    This is just another myth, heating up your body does not burn fat. Fat burns at 300+ degree and you wont warm your body up to that in a sauna.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I always go and sit in the sauna after my work outs. This morning when I went into the sauna it was 'cool' so after my 30 mins by then it had warmed up significantly, and i burned 130 cals. So if you are going in and its already hot, then easily you could burn 300 cals in 30 mins.

On top of bringing water to drink, bring your ipod or whatever you listen to music with, and a facecloth to wipe the sweat away it will help you stay more relaxed and comfortable.

Happy saunaing!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Raising the body temperature will help burn some calories, as far as sitting in a sauna for long lengths of time is certainly not a good thing for the body. There are always pros and cons to everything. Do your reasearch first, here say does not count :)
  • Redkoala
    Options
    My source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EV0LqD6rWs&feature=channel

Check this guys channel has alot of great advice and seperates truth from myth.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Also be aware that sitting in the sauan or not your body will continue to burn calories as your heart rate does not return to normal once you leave the doors of the gym, so sitting in the sauan you are burning those caloies too, and if you are sitting in the sauna to lose weight you will just lose water weight, but it is still good to do as you will relax your muscles after working them.
  • Redkoala
    Options
    Your heart rate has nothing to do with burning calories.

If you hold your breath your heart rate will increase as its need to pump blood and oxygen faster. Will you loose weight sat dowm holding your breath? No!
  • teb1215
    Options
    I've been researching this all morning since she told me and I read this:

"U.S. Army research shows Sauna use can burn as many as 300 calories during one sauna session. This happens both due to the sweating process itself, and due to increased heart rate. Even though most of the weight lost in sauna is water, regular sauna bathing can complement a weight-loss program."

And for the most part I realize you are sweating out toxins and it's water weight. Still seems healthy to me in 20-30 minute bursts especially after a hard workout.
  • Redkoala
    Options
    U.S. Army research - hmm trusted source when it comes to health and weightloss.

I'd rather put my faith in someone who has been helping people loose weight for 27years. Don't believe everything people tell you. In order to loose fat you need get your body to 360degree about 10 times normal body temp. Sound healthy? Saunas have some good to them but weightloss isnt one.
  • pocostef
    Options
    I used a dry sauna before my wedding and it helped a lot, however, if you don't have one at your gym it is very expensive!
  • teb1215
    Options
    I'm not saying the army is my trusted research. My zumba instructor has been a personal trainer for a very long time and she's definitely an expert when it comes to fitness and health. I will put my faith in someone with that much expertise. She obviously knows what she is doing.

And believe me...it's not what I'm putting my stock in to lose weight either. I just figured it was a nice added bonus. I have been doing cardio for 60 minutes every single day since I started this journey. That's what I'm putting my stock into.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    i sit in the sauna, usually before i exercise, to warm up my body and to stretch... and my muscles thank me. I dont count it as exercise or burned calories.. that seems silly to me to think sitting hot temperatures will make you burn faster.. if that is the case how did I get so fat living in Arizona?! :tongue:

anyway, i know it feels good when i sit in there and stretch prior to exercise, so i do it, but not convinced it burns any more calories than sitting in front of my tv.
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had an infra-red sauna and had read the sauna blurb about it burning calories...just to say I never lost any weight but i did get a lot more reading done!

Nah I wouldnt hold your breath for that one or we would get them on the NHS wouldnt we!
  • Redkoala
    Options
    If my center had a sauna i'd be in it myself it's very nice to warm up before a workout or to just relax after one. Wish you all the best with burning your calories through sitting down :P
  • teb1215
    Options
    I was just sharing what an expert told me.