Running and Heart Rate

Options
I'm getting alot of different views on HR while running, and want to get some more opinions.

I'm 34, male, and my resting heart rate is 66-68 bpm at the moment.

When I run (even a slow jog), my Heart Rate skyrockets to between 177-190, and I'm not really pushing myself, I'm trying to go slow. I'm told that is WAAAY too high and I need to back off. But I also hear that if you can hold a conversation while you are running, then you are fine....which I can, I don't feel like I'm pushing myself all that hard unless I'm doing intervals.

So on Tuesday I went out with a goal of keeping my HR below 170....well, it didn't work, and I even "TRIED" to keep it low. Here is the link to my run....I did 4.5 miles, my HRM Battery died in the middle so this was all it recorded, but this pretty much sums it up! It shows my HR and pace etc.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/224290060

I only stopped at stoplights, and I was able to run the entire way...hills and all (I have alot of hills).

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is a wide range of "normal" heart rate responses to exercise. Specifically, that means there is a wide range of "normal" maxmum heart rates (and, obviously, exercise heart rate depends on maximum heart rate). Just like it is "normal" for some adults to be 5'7" tall and others to be 6'10".

So no one can say that any given heart rate is "way too high" without knowng the context.

In a small number of cases, exercise can provoke an arrhythmia that causes heart rate to become abnormally high. Or an individual might have some other underlying medical issue that would make it undesirable to sustain a high heart rate.

Given that your perceived exertion is low, it suggests that there is nothing inherently abnormal about your exercise heart rate. Your exercise HR graph shows a normal reponse--no sudden bursts of tachycardia. If you have concerns, you can always discuss it with your doctor, however, their knowledge of exercise physiology and exercise HR response is likely to be limited.

Bottom line: the HR response is likely benign, but there is a very small chance there is an underlying problem. I would recommend you keep collecting data and pay attention to any symptoms such as inappropriate shortness of breath or light-headedness.

It was interesting to read the workout information on the link you posted. I recognized the area on the map. I grew up in the Cincinnati area (Reading) and have a brother and sister living in the Greenhills/Forest Park area. It's been 30-35 years since I ran in Winton Woods (For awhile I worked a few miles away, so would sometimes include the park in a running route). Nice area.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response!

Small world huh? Winton Woods is a regular part of my runs if I head south....if I head North I end up running a bit East towards the Tri-County area and back...around 9 miles total there.

I didn't think that it was much of a problem...but I just wanted to get opinions. I know when something doesn't feel right based on past experience. I trained as a Professional Wrestler and worked in the field for about 10 years, and had some palpatations one time, and I'll never forget the feeling! I'll be sure to look out for it though as I continue to run!

Thanks!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    looks like you are going too fast for your level of fitness. I dont know what your max is but lets say it's around 200 (given you hit 190 on a training run). Then your long runs should be about 80% of that - around 160 or so. If that means walking then walk - it will improve.
  • joehempel
    Options
    see that's the problem.....I'm not stressing myself and it's very easy to keep this pace.

When I did stress myself I was hitting 7:30 mpm, or in the last race I did, was running at a decent pace (one that I could keep up until I hit the trail) at 8:30 mpm.

I dunno, I guess I'm just going to listen to my body rather than look at the numbers. I'm going to try for an even slower pace today running 5 - 5.5 miles before my 10k on Sunday
  • Azdak
    Options
    looks like you are going too fast for your level of fitness. I dont know what your max is but lets say it's around 200 (given you hit 190 on a training run). Then your long runs should be about 80% of that - around 160 or so. If that means walking then walk - it will improve.

Heart rates ate not absolute numbers. Perceived exertion is often a more accurate indicator of intensity than heart rate. The OP's report of exertion means that he was NOT going "too fast for (his) level of fitness". It just means he likely has a higher HRmax than average.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Heart rates ate not absolute numbers. Perceived exertion is often a more accurate indicator of intensity than heart rate. The OP's report of exertion means that he was NOT going "too fast for (his) level of fitness". It just means he likely has a higher HRmax than average.

I agree with this. My average HR when running is in the 170s. Now, it sounds like its easier for you than it is for me, but I'm not "dying" by the time I'm done or anything!
  • connorsludge
    connorsludge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about that, too. I've been running 3x week in the 2-6 mile range for about four years. Last month I used a HRM for the first time and it went crazy! Apparently, my running heart rate is about 174-186, which is too high according to Polar's calculations.

I've been doing this for years and haven't died yet, so I guess it's okay? Everyone's maximum heart rate will be different, so as long as you're feeling okay and can carry a conversation I think you're fine. On top of that, many people over at the Runner's World forums run at 90+% of heart rate all the time.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I've wondered about that, too. I've been running 3x week in the 2-6 mile range for about four years. Last month I used a HRM for the first time and it went crazy! Apparently, my running heart rate is about 174-186, which is too high according to Polar's calculations.

I've been doing this for years and haven't died yet, so I guess it's okay? Everyone's maximum heart rate will be different, so as long as you're feeling okay and can carry a conversation I think you're fine. On top of that, many people over at the Runner's World forums run at 90+% of heart rate all the time.

I have been having conversations like with people since HRMs began to be more widely used about 20 yrs ago. Back then it was even worse because the "fat burning zone" myth was in full flower. People were slowing their workouts to a crawl to stay "in the zone"-often on the advice of personal trainers. Drove me nuts.
  • joehempel
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

I did a 4.66 mile run today (cut short because my ex-wife texted me saying she was on her way when I still had 2 miles left...wanted 5.5 today).....I TRIED to stay lower than 175.....it didn't work, and I was crawling my first mile at 10:14. I was able to get my pace going at a lower heart rate to 9:28 that 2nd mile, but I was going downhill for most of it.

Definitely just going to listen to my body. It wasn't a fun run concentrating on what my HR is rather than just getting my runners high on.

Here was the run today.....I don't know why it starts me in the woods LOL. I follow the street.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/225003249

Not bad....but I could have done better if I didn't keep looking at my HRM
  • LewisBirchenough
    Options
    My max HR measured a few years back (at age 31) was around 205. I'm now 33 and I just did a half marathon with an average HR of 189. I can't say I felt great at the end, but my legs hurt more than my cardiovascular system.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor if you're really worried about it, but it COULD be normal. I was checked last year because I was told that my heart rate was abnormaly high (I easily reach 200 bpm and WALKING uphill would bring it up to 170). I had all kinds of tests done and the cardiologist said that sometimes people just have higher heart rates than others. They say that 220 - age (for men, 226 - age for women) should be your max heart rate, but that's not for everyone.

http://www.ottawarun.com/heartrate.htm
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My heart rate used to go quite high. I wanted it lower to burn more fat. On my long runs, 8+ miles, it was always in the 170s. Over time, as I ran more miles and lost 25 pounds, my average heart rate dropped about 20 bpm.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/151481998

Not knowing ANYTHING about you, my two cents is to slow down so that you don't hit your max heart rate. Gradually add distance or speed (whatever your goal is) while keeping a conversational pace. If you can't carry on a conversation then you need to slow down.

If your experience is like mine, then eventually you'll be able to run faster and farther with a lower heart rate. Just be patient.
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You could ask your Dr to run a "stress test" to determine if there are any problems.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising on a regular basis running was the one exercise that would make my heart rate shoot up like no other. I just figured it was because I was extremely out of shape and it would get better. I work out at a pretty high intensity and feel like I am in good shape and running STILL gets my heart rate up super high. (170's) Now that I'm in better shape I'm able to go at a slower pace and get it into the 160's but I could still push it into the 180's without feeling like I'm doing damage. I'm an extremely slow runner but I notice when I run with other people I am constantly trying to keep up but I am still able to talk to them while I'm running so I figure I'm not really over exerting myself even though my heart rate monitor shows my heart rate in the high 170's. I think if you listen to your body you should be fine. Sometimes I feel like we rely too heavily on machines to tell us how our body is doing. I remember one time I was working out and I looked down and my heart rate monitor said 220. I completely freaked out and immediately stopped working out. My boot camp instructor was like "are you okay?" I said "My heart rate monitor says 220 I'm afraid I'm going to die!" He laughed and said "if your heart rate was really 220 right now you wouldn't be able to stand here talking to me without being out of breath at all! Try changing your battery when you get home!" I felt pretty silly. :tongue:
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    My average running HR is 175-185. When I do sprints I can get to 194. I am the most comfortable running in the high 170's. Once I reach 185ish I have to slow down or the rest of my run will be in trouble. The longer I have been running the easier it has been for me to keep it down in the 170's. My ultimate goal is to be able to run a decent speed and distance in the high 160's. But I also just started running this year. Usually 3-4 miles at a time.
  • jrax1
    Options
    This is what happens for me as well. I've just recently begun 'analyzing' my running (compared to just doing it for the past few years), and have discovered that in order for me to keep my HR at 70-85% and a pace able to carry a conversation, I've had to drop down to a 12 min/mile (5.0 on the treadmill).

For the past few years, I've been running an average of a 9 min/mile for 5 miles in about 45 min three to four times a week. The 9 min/mile isn't an 'easy' pace, but definitely doable and I at least feel like I've worked up a sweat, even though my HR is at 90+%. This 12 min/mile pace is not much more than a fast-paced walk and I barely break a sweat. I just don't feel like I'm getting much of a workout. However, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I'm doing my own unscientific/informal experiment. I'm going to keep doing this slower pace for a month or so to see if there really is any fluctuation in BF% - because if I stay in the 'fat-burning zone', that's what *should* happen, right? Or am I misunderstanding how the zones work?

I find it hard to believe that I'm getting more benefit from a workout that doesn't feel like one, but I'm willing to consider it, I guess.
  • joehempel
    Options
    ....while keeping a conversational pace. If you can't carry on a conversation then you need to slow down.

If your experience is like mine, then eventually you'll be able to run faster and farther with a lower heart rate. Just be patient.

Nice run!

I can carry on a conversation at the pace I run, which is why I was so shocked to see my heart rate so high.

I will say I don't think that there is a problem, I was just getting all kinds of crazy information, and to slow down, and keep at something like under 155 or whatever. If I did that I would be running all day and go only 4 miles LOL. I don't even break a sweat!

I think based on all this information, I'm just going to run at my pace, and not worry about my HR, just go by how my body feels. It's served me well since I started running last May (I didn't have an HRM at that time, in fact I JUST started using one for calorie burns and tracking my runs).

Taking a big ole does of fukitol before my 10k on Sunday....looking for a time less than 1 hour....it's fast and flat and I think I can do the 9:39 mpm time fairly easily over the 6.2 miles.