Am I losing TOO MUCH weight?

Options
Im exercising when I can, and eating all of my calories and eating my exercise calories also. Im eating quite a bit of protien because Im trying to get my muscle volume up, and TMI but its that time of the month, or will be in a couple days, and I usually gain around now. But I find myself losing about a lb a day for the past few days (like 5 days now)! Im not COMPLAINING, but I have my calories to lose 2 lbs a week. I know that Im not starving myself, but I just wasnt expecting to lose this much doing it the healthy way! Ive always gone on like an 800 calorie DIET starving myself in the past, and I lost about a lb a day that way, but always gained it back very quickly. Is there something I need to be doing differently, or is this okay? Im trying to get healthy, I dont want to be sabotaging myself in the process. Thanks!

Replies

• lrpeck
    lrpeck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hope someone replies, because I'm having the same experience. I have my weight loss set at 0.5lb per week, and I've lost 2.5 this week (by eating all my calories and about half of the added for exercise). Anyone? I really just wanted to lose a few pounds slowly and don't want to do anything harmful or that wont be sustainable.
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    You loose one pound per day? So you're burning around 3500 calories a day? Some how i doubt this. This is the same as walking 35miles.
    5010 Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm sat here with a green face i lost 4lb the first week week 2 &3 nothing
  • elliottaw
    Options
    First when you exercise you monthly clock sometimes gets a little delayed so I would not worry to much about it, it also depends on when you are weighing yourself, I way myself the first thing every morning because you weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs during the day, and if you are losing a large amount of weight you will lose more in the beginning then when once you get to the middle. Right now I am losing about 5 pounds a week following this "diet" but I know that it will slow down once I start to get closer to a healthier weight.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    You could easily be losing mostly water weight. With it just going on for a few days, I personally wouldn't freak about it. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and weigh 6 pounds less than I did the day before, then the next morning I wake up & have gained 3 back. These are normal daily fluctuations. If I've had a lot of sodium or it's my TOM, I'll lose a lot in water weight over several days.
    If I knew I was eating enough (for me personally, that would mean eating at least 1200-1400 calories a day) and I continued losing at a rapid rate for several weeks, then I'd be alarmed. But a few days? Nah, I wouldn't stress over it.

If you're really so concerned, perhaps you should see your doctor & have some bloodwork done to be sure there's no health factor involved.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it yet.
    You weight fluctuates depending on time of the month, time of day you weigh yourself etc.
    As long as you are meeting your daily carb, fat, protein & vitamin needs you are not doing anything wrong.
    If this level of loss persists for two weeks or more you might need to adjust your base activity level. Say go from "sedentary" to "light activity" That will up your allotted daily calories.
    Try not to weight yourself more than once per week and do it on the same day at the same time.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I wouldn't worry unless you start feeling really sick or ill. You may lose this week and next week not lose at all. However, if you feel poorly or your body starts acting weird, then you should probably worry.
  • shawley1
    Options
    Depending on when you started this new routine, will be the key. You are putting your body in shock and probalby drastically changing your lifestyle. You may have spent ten or twenty years living a certain way and have now done a 180! When you put your body and metabolism through such a drastic change - you will see weight start to fall off for a while. This time will vary. Eventually it will taper off to the lb a week or eventually get slower than that. When this happens change up your workout routine and give your metabolism another jump start in a new direction. Hope this helps :)
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I you continue to lose at this rate - and you are honest about tracking foods, water, and exercise then you might want to check your sugar levels and print out your information and talk to your doctor... but since it appears you have just started I have a tendency to agree with the others... that you are more than likely losing water and even though you may normally gain, your body may be utilizing that extra fluid you normally gain... I am assuming you are staying close to your sodium guideline. (I wish I could LOL)
  • PrincessDesiray
    PrincessDesiray Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Depending on when you started this new routine, will be the key. You are putting your body in shock and probalby drastically changing your lifestyle. You may have spent ten or twenty years living a certain way and have now done a 180! When you put your body and metabolism through such a drastic change - you will see weight start to fall off for a while. This time will vary. Eventually it will taper off to the lb a week or eventually get slower than that. When this happens change up your workout routine and give your metabolism another jump start in a new direction. Hope this helps :)

Completly agree!!! You took the words right out of my mouth. I lost alot in the begiing very fast and now it is a struggle to lose the last 10 so just make little goal for yourself. Mine is 135 and then when I stay at that I am moving onto 125.
  • allyson2212
    Options
    You loose one pound per day? So you're burning around 3500 calories a day? Some how i doubt this. This is the same as walking 35miles.

Sorry you dont agree, it confuses me also which is why I asked. It doesnt make sense to me either. Anyways, thanks to all that had helpful replies, I wont worry too much about it yet!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Sorry you dont agree, it confuses me also which is why I asked. It doesnt make sense to me either. Anyways, thanks to all that had helpful replies, I wont worry too much about it yet!

To be honest, his comment bothered me, too. Firstly, people of different heights/weights/ages/fitness levels burn WAY different amounts of calories with the same activity. I personally could relatively easily burn an additional 2500 calories in 3 hours of exercise which would equal a 3500 calorie deficit for the day (because I'm already eating at a 1000 calorie deficit). That's not really outrageous at all (please note: it's also not healthy at all). Certainly not outrageous enough for someone to skeptically call someone a liar.

Secondly, water weighs a lot, so it's super easy to be carrying around 10+ extra pounds of water weight (that's only a little over a gallon of water, by the way). So, it's perfectly easy to believe someone could be dropping a pound of water weight each day for 10 days in a row (on top of the actual amount of fat they're losing).

"The more you know."