Protein

Options
I need to increase my protein. Would love to hear some great snack ideas!

Replies

• Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually do protein bars and protein shakes.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Whichever option you choose, make sure it's a casein protein (proteins from milk based products). Like those found in cottage cheese. Mainly, those types of protein take A LOT longer to digest than regular or whey proteins so your metabolism is moving longer. It's good to take right before bedtime. I'm sure, any number of forum posts here could be searched and protein articles found. I would put a lot of research into protein balance if I were you. Many items that are marketed as "high protein" are still pretty much as crappy as those that aren't marketed that way.

Here is a website that talks specifically about them and why they are good for you.
    http://www.a1supplements.com/CaseinProtein-p-1-c-388-a.html
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I usually do protein bars and protein shakes.

I also second this!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Dead animals.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sirloin steak.
    Eggs.
    Cheese (Whey, particularly. Which is easier if you buy Whey protein powder. This is essentially what you're taking in).
    Beans (the larger, the better: eg. soybeans, lupin, etc).
    Seeds (pumpkin and watermelon are good)
    Chicken
    Fish (I can't stand fish, but it's high in protein).
    Marmite (again, I don't like it)
    Peanuts/Peanut Butter
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt & add a scope of protein powder, toss in 1/4 c fresh fruit if you're inclined. I'm having chocolate yogurt this morning for breakfast!
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love greek or icelandic yogurt with a litle splash of kashi go lean crunch.
    --be careful though - a lot of the greek yogurts with fruit are loaded with sugar.

i prefer the Yoplait 100 2x protein fat-free ones
    http://www.yoplait.com/products/yoplait-greek-100-yogurt

or Siggi
    http://skyr.com/skyr.html
    ps-- the vanilla ones makes an AMAZING yogurt zip & can be frozen (or just dipped) around fruit, granola, pretzels, whatever.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my protein at about 150g a day. These are the main foods I personally eat/drink to get it to 150:

tuna (tinned)
    greek yoghurt,
    protein shakes, protein bars (I do try to get most of my protein from natural sources though as I think powders and bars have quite a lot of crap added in)
    chicken
    beef
    almonds
    eggs
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Dead animals.

LOL! I do prefer them dead.
  • kathyhaf1
    Options
    Cottage cheese, string cheese, nuts, yogurt,
  • kathyhaf1
    Options
    Dead animals.

LOL! I do prefer them dead.

Haha! Me too!

Tuna and eggs as well
  • gretchens33
    Options
    egg whites scrambled up (add what u like).
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Low sodium beef jerky
    Greek Yoghurt
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Egg whites
    Nuts & seeds
    Cashew butter
    Protein shakes
    Tuna
    cottage cheese
    Babybells low fat
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do eat eggs, chicken, turkey, beef, fish, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and I like Pure Protein shakes and Oh Yeah bars. Though I only have those (shakes and bars) once or twice a week. I just find alot of the time I am way under my protein and I'd like to increase it a bit through snacks. Perhaps I should just increase my portion sizes a bit at meals like dinner. My hope is that if I increase my protein a bit more I can eat a bit less bread/rice/pasta during the day.

Do most of you have a protein with every meal and snack?
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    nuts (almonds and pistashios are the highest in protein)
    beans (make a nice hearty chili) :)
    eggs (hard boiled egg as a snack)

and then of course meats, tuna, broccoli, etc
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i eat lot of egg whites, unsalted nuts, and meat! tuna fish and shrimp are my favorites though! I have protein with EVERY meal and i also try to add eggs to everything. try adding eggs to meat dishes!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt & add a scope of protein powder, toss in 1/4 c fresh fruit if you're inclined. I'm having chocolate yogurt this morning for breakfast!

I literally do the same, exact thing.

Also, try Quest protein bars. Very high in protein but low carb, low sugar, and lower in calories then most high-protein bars
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Lean chicken/fish... Great snack is low sodium tuna with cottage cheese. Protein shakes. Nuts. Oatmeal... All good. Im at 220ish grans a day no problem :)

3 shakes a day (morning, post, bed)
    Hearty breakfast carbs/protein shake
    Mid morning light snack tuna, nuts, jerky
    Veggies and lean meat lunch
    Preworkout snack little carbs and protein
    Post workout shake
    Dinner light carbs high protein/fiber
    Casein at bed time
    WATER!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I do eat eggs, chicken, turkey, beef, fish, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and I like Pure Protein shakes and Oh Yeah bars. Though I only have those (shakes and bars) once or twice a week. I just find alot of the time I am way under my protein and I'd like to increase it a bit through snacks. Perhaps I should just increase my portion sizes a bit at meals like dinner. My hope is that if I increase my protein a bit more I can eat a bit less bread/rice/pasta during the day.

Do most of you have a protein with every meal and snack?

Pure Protein chocolate peanut butter bars for the win... I eat one everyday and look forward to it! Delicious...

If you aren't concerned about sodium as much (I'm not) beef jerkey or turkey jerkey is a good snack filled with protein. Depending on the type, you can get anywhere between 24-32 grams of protein per 2 oz. serving.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    Options
    Oh this too - boil a bunch of eggs, peel them and keep them in water in the fridge. Take one out for a snack. :love:

I always try to be sure that everytime I eat I have SOME protein - never eat pure carbs, of any kind.