3 days without a Diet Soda and weird changes.

Options
Hey all. I'm now 3 days without a diet soda (gave up regular years ago) and I've noticed some changes and I'm wondering whether they might be related. First off, I'm super tired. Secondly, well....I don't need to go to the bathroom as much as I used to. I know caffeine is a diuretic, but even in the morning when I first wake up....nada. Interestingly enough, I haven't had the headaches. I am however drinking 1 cup of coffee in the morning.

Has anyone also given it up and noticed changes? What can I expect should I keep this up?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I just had caffeine withdrawal symptoms (splitting headache) when I gave it up cold turkey.
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I been soda free (diet and regular) for a couple of months now and I don't regret it.

I feel much better these days. I had an awful headache for the first week then it went away. I noticed my energy zapped the first few days but that went away as well.

I would try getting more water. If you can't handle the plain water try MIO (water enhancer - Zero calories) that should spice it up a bit.

Good luck! Much Success!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawls explain the tired. Drinking less liquid explains the trips. Caffeine, as found in diet sodas, is far below the level required for caffeine to even act as a mild diuretic.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Caffeine isn't a diuretic. I'd suggest you're simply drinking less as perhaps you don't like your alternative beverages as much.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Been off all bubbles for a few years. Only have soda occasionally now. Water with lemon instead.
    I pee more now. But it sure is clean. :laugh:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Nope. No difference.
  • blu143
    Options
    I should probably mention that I've increased plain water consumption 3 fold. Trust me, getting PLENTY of water in lieu of the bubbles. I should also mention that I was like 3 - 20oz bottles plus several cans a day.

And caffeine is indeed a mild diuretic.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/caffeine1.htm

Quote: In its pure form, caffeine is a white crystalline powder that tastes very bitter. It is medically useful to stimulate the heart and also serves as a mild diuretic, increasing urine production to flush fluid out of the body.

With the amount I was drinking, it was working as a diuretic.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i was a soda-aholic...and i would drink regular soda, if it was in the fridge, i would drink one, and then immediately go get another, have done this for years. About 4 months ago, i gave it up completely. I had migraines for about 1 week straight and was nauseous on and off for a couple of weeks. Now i don't crave it at all, and if we do go out to eat somewhere i usually get water simply because i just don't want to get back in that habit again. I do drink coffee though i have between 1-4 cups a day. BUT...i go to the bathroom more now that i am drinking 72 oz of water every day (sometimes more) then i did drinking soda.
  • treechic93
    treechic93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners can do weird things to the way your body processes things. After about 3 days off diet soda I felt so much better. Clearer thinking, more energy, less sluggish on my runs, less food cravings, etc. I don't doubt any of the changes you've noticed, the chemicals react so differently in everyone's bodies. My mom dropped 10 lbs just by giving up diet coke because her cravings went away and she felt more energetic once she got past that first week. I drink unsweetened iced tea now and that gives me a caffeine pick me up at lunch if I need it for a long afternoon of meetings.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For years I drank 4-5 cans of regular coke a day. Twenty years ago I switched to diet, all of which were caffeine free (Coke, 7-up, root beer). A few days ago I decided to just go to water. My main problem is getting dehydrated because I don't drink enough of it. I haven't had any headaches or other problems. I just keep having to remember to drink my water!javascript:add_smiley('happy','post_body')