No scales anymore!!!!

Options
I have decided that the number on the scales can totally effect my mood,my self esteem and generally I am never happy.So as of today I am only using the Tape measure.The scales cannot tell me how much fitter I am getting.Whether I am glowing or look well!!!.This Number can make or break me and its usually the latter.As I have only a few pounds to loose I think progress can be measured in other ways.
This time I am going for a healthy way of life not a quick fix..
My body will be a temple.!!!
This is only for me I do understand that its a great tool if you have a lot to loose. For people like me those so called vanity pounds are hard to shift. I can go through times of only loosing a pound every 2 weeks etc so this doesnt make me feel great.
I have actually lost near 5inches since I started 6 weeks ago this is not reflected on the scales!!!
What do people think??

Replies

• justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! So many things can cause the scale to go up and our self esteem go down! You gotta do whats best for you!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that does this, and she loves it!! She weighs in maybe every 3-6 months? But her progress has been significant, and she said it has really improved her mood and outlook on becoming healthy. I am considering this also :) Keep us posted!
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    definitely! the scale is pure evil! i am weighing but also measuring weekly...and am focusing mostly on the measurements and how things fit then the scale.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    GREAT IDEA. It's not going to sabotage any goals by skipping weigh ins -- as long as you are following a healthy diet + exercise routine... the only changes you can be getting are good ones :) Who needs that dumb number, anyways?

Measuring tape and clothing sizes work great -- non scale victories :) If you want, you could even take before and after pics!

I think the scale can effect my mood and self esteem a lot that day, also. Sometimes it works for me to weigh in once a month. I seem to mess up on eating and exercise more when the scale upsets me... so I generally do better when I'm not weighing often.

Good luck, you got this! :)
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The scale and I are on a three week break. I'm weighing with a pal on Sept 30, then I probably won't again for another month when I finish Insanity. Good for you!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Overall weight is a rubbish indicator of health, BMI is rubbish.

I'm going to weigh myself once when I feel 'right' and that is only going to be for reference.

I used to weigh daily then weekly, the variations will drive you mental, it's not natural ;)
  • yeahforme
    yeahforme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with you - I go to PT 2x a week for 1.5 hours nonstop and do cardio/floor work the other days - I take 2 days off when my back tells me to. I started weighing 1x a week because of the 'scale frustration' and was down 3 lbs. (which broke the plateau i had been on for 2 months). I went to the doctor for a follow up 3 days later and was up 4 lbs. Granted, I had completed a 40 minite workout just prior to the appointment and tend to retain water if I do not drink enough (H2O) afterwards, nevertheless, it was a real blow to my ego.

I have, however, lost 4 inches total and am beginning to see changes in my body. I know the numbers on the scale will change eventually - i think I will check in with it every month or so just to see, and keep up with the measurements regularly.
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do this too, it means way more to me to feel healthy and feel comfortable than to see the numbers. If i had no idea what i weighed i'd be happy to just do this till i get to a size i am more comfortable with.

Fin x
  • nannabannana
    Options

DITTO...Scales are liars as Lucia says:)
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have decided that the number on the scales can totally effect my mood,my self esteem and generally I am never happy.So as of today I am only using the Tape measure.The scales cannot tell me how much fitter I am getting.Whether I am glowing or look well!!!.This Number can make or break me and its usually the latter.As I have only a few pounds to loose I think progress can be measured in other ways.
    This time I am going for a healthy way of life not a quick fix..
    My body will be a temple.!!!
    This is only for me I do understand that its a great tool if you have a lot to loose. For people like me those so called vanity pounds are hard to shift. I can go through times of only loosing a pound every 2 weeks etc so this doesnt make me feel great.
    I have actually lost near 5inches since I started 6 weeks ago this is not reflected on the scales!!!
    What do people think??

I think that is a great idea and attitude! Like you, I only have a few "vanity" pounds to lose, and also like you, what the scale says has far too much control over my mood, self esteem, and happiness. I came on here to lose 6 pounds, which is nothing compared to some of the incredible people on here who have lost 20, 50, 100+ pounds. I had sustained some serious injuries last winter that led to me having to be totally sedentary, and I got completely out of shape. Since I started my fitness journey at the end of April, I have only lost 3 pounds. Pretty depressing, right? Not when I take into account the fact that I have lost 9", including 4" off my waist. Or the fact that I can do 10 military style pushups when 6 months ago I could barely do 1. Or the fact that I'm squatting 5 x's as much weight as I was 2 months ago. My body has transformed from soft and squishy to slim and trim! People who haven't seen me in awhile will say "wow, you've lost a LOT of weight!"...it's not pounds that I've lost though, it's FAT, which has been replaced by muscle, and that's what matters most.

I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the scale, but I will continue to take measurements every 4-6 weeks. I'm having my body fat % retested next week to see what progress I've made since I was tested 2 months ago. Hopefully, it's good news. :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP, I think that's great! You are correct that the tape measure is so much more indicative of progress than the scale!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have only a few vanity pounds to lose. Because of an injury that has caused me to be sedentary, my weights gone up slightly and down slightly and then further down, and then up, and so on. I intend to keep weighing myself several times a week. The scale gives me a concrete idea of my weight and whether I need to act.

I occasionally take my measurements, but I'm never sure of their accuracy. Besides, I have a rough gauge of my body fat percentage from my scale.
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I think I just need to weigh in less and worry about inches more. Maybe every 2 weeks. It makes me get down on myself sometimes when I weigh in. That and I am losing at a much slower pace than my husband. I am losing, but I am at 7 and he is at 22! Whats up with that.
  • K_Smith86
    Options
    I think it's a wonderful idea. It's amazing how a stupid number can completely make or break your day. When I first started to try and lose weight, I weighed myself every morning. And it got to the point where when it didn't budge, I'd be in the worst mood that day. I got so frustrated that I stopped weighing myself every day. It's at the point of doing it every other week or so, but I'm about ready to make it even less frequent. I think it's better to go based upon inches lost, and clothing sizes dropped rather than the number on the scale.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to hear you say that! I have been having a love hate relationship with the scale as well. I am not losing lots of pounds but I am toning and definitely increasing my fitness level.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that does this, and she loves it!! She weighs in maybe every 3-6 months? But her progress has been significant, and she said it has really improved her mood and outlook on becoming healthy. I am considering this also :) Keep us posted!
    Thanks I am logging my progress with photos x
  • NewAngel35
    Options
    Hi there already a member!!! Just researching it more :)
  • NewAngel35
    Options
    HI.
    Wow thanks sooooo much for all the positive input. It backs up my thinking. I can be so irrational the scale was my slave or I was the scales slave???..Whichever lol.I am amazed more and more by some of the peoples weight especialy in the EM2WL group..once they have lost weight they look tiny yet their weights tend to be what I would call heavy..Would we really cared what we weighed if we were slim or fit into those favouite skinny jeans etc!!!!
    Shows the power of our mind and the power of society influenced numbers. I know I dont care what weight a Buff guy is if hes fit hes fit lol!!!
    Cheered me up no end
    Thanks
    Angel x