Bread and Pasta

Options
Historically these types of food have been a real problem for me. I find that without bread or pasta I do not feel as satisfied (or at least I do not perceive myself as feeling satisfied), however, I know that eating bread and pasta so regularly spikes my blood sugar and decreases my bodies ability to effectively burn fat.

So, this past week I have been cutting back my bread/pasta intake to one meal a day.

I must say the results have been very satisfying.

I do feel hungrier at times without the full feeling of my starches...but I am going to keep limiting myself to one a day for the next couple of weeks and see if the scale continues to trend downward.

Just thought I would share!

Any tips or thoughts?

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I will never give up bread and pasta. But I have switched to whole wheat for both of them and cut back on them.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I will never give up bread and pasta. But I have switched to whole wheat for both of them and cut back on them.

I just switched to wholemeal versions. I eat loads of bread, but not so much pasta now. I'll never give either up though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Being Italian I have a natural addiction to pasta and bread....I try to save them for my high carb day when I do an intense work out, which is usually my leg day...and then I can reward myself with some whole wheat pasta after my workout..

It is best to try and stay from high amounts of them daily though..
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a slice of bread or a bit of pasta for months, don't miss it, don't crave it.

I don't think grains are that great for us (either for weight management or general health) so it's pretty easy to avoid for me.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love bread and pasta, but they are problematic for me. I try to stick to ezekiel bread and protein pasta, but every once in a while I indulge in a big bowl of pasta and italian bread. Moderation works well for me.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Cutting out bread and pasta was the best thing I've done diet wise. I feel great and I'm not hungry all the time. :)
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I just switched to wholemeal versions. I eat loads of bread, but not so much pasta now. I'll never give either up though.

I agree, in the past I have tried to give up breads and pastas but after becoming more informed I learned that it is not the bread or pasta that is unhealthy it is the white, bleached and processed versions that most people eat that are unhealthy. I still eat the same amount of bread now but its always whole wheat or multi grain bread. I do rarely eat pasta now, I just dont crave it as much, but when I do eat it I will always only eat whole wheat or the spinach versions. (I always read the ingredients list as well to ensure that there is no yucky stuff in it. lol. - I do that generally with everything I eat to make sure I recognize the ingredients).
  • richard205
    richard205 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree, bread and pasta are such a yummy part of my diet I would never totally give them up, I can't, I've tried. But I do minimize or avoid them on a daily basis, and save the pasta as a treat for a carbo load, then go out and workout really hard the next day. It gives me a great deal more sustained energy, and I can use that to my advantage if I am rested and ready for it, i.e. much longer bike rides, harder workouts, or two workouts a day instead of one. That way, I get to eat yummy things like spaghetti, lasagna and tomato basil pasta and I get a reward for it - extra fitness!
    Also, I switched to light bread (45 cal per slice - as opposed to 115) for sandwiches and toast. And I almost always only eat pasta when I know I will use the carbs within the next 24 hours.
    My body wants to eat and feel satisfied, and that usually means more carbs. But if I try too hard and eat a very low or no carb meal, then I end up snacking on all kinds of stuff later and getting those calories in other ways that are not necessarily the best ways.
    To deal with it I had to do three things:
    1. Exercise more - to simply keep up with my natural appetite
    2. Eat a few carbs at almost every meal, it totally helps to balance the hunger (and gives you much better sustained energy)
    3. Lots of salad. It's filling and makes me feel full. Also high in potassium (which I need more of) and the fat in the dressing gives a satisfaction feeling similar to bread and pasta.
    I feel great, I feel satisfied, I had lasagna just last night, and I'm getting into great shape!
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a slice of bread or a bit of pasta for months, don't miss it, don't crave it.

I don't think grains are that great for us (either for weight management or general health) so it's pretty easy to avoid for me.

Ditto. Even though at times I would love a bowl of cold cereal lol, I feel my body is better off. If you're cutting back in carbs, increase your fat intake...otherwise you'll always be hungry.