Healthy Alternatives

Options
I was wondering if we could all help each other out with alternatives of our favourite "bad" food. For example, my weakness is cheese and I read someone commenting on Homous tasting like cheese if it was put on raw carrot. If we could all write our favourite foods down perhaps people with healthy alternatives could paste our quotes and add their healthy option??

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    I love humus, and I love cheese. I guess it could be an alternative to cheese, but I can't say they really taste the same. I don't really try to find alternatives, I look for ways to eat the things l love in proper proportions so they fit in my calories and ideally my macros as well.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Not really an alternative - but Utz Premium White Cheddar Popcorn is AMAZING, gets my cheese/salt fix taken care of, and is only 150 calories for 2 cups, which is a pretty decent sized bowl of popcorn! :)
  • sue_886
    Options
    Great topic! Thanks for starting it.

-Mixing fruit or dark cocoa powder with Greek yogurt and freezing it for an ice cream alternative.
    -Lean ground turkey instead of ground beef (or mixed with the leanest ground beef)
    -Sesame seeds and almonds in a salad instead of croutons
    -Skim milk instead of 1% or 2%
    -Adding cinnamon in fruit smoothies (makes it taste sweeter so I don't have to add any sugar; plus, it's really good for you!)
    -Adding oats and wheat flour to baking recipes
    -Unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin instead of fat (oil, eggs, butter) in baking recipes
    -Making own salsa: that way, I can control the sodium and add as many vegetables as I want!
    -Adding fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, oregano) to soups, salads, sandwiches, etc. for extra tasty and nutritional boost!

All I can think of at the moment.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Bell Pepper slices w/ Salsa instead of chips (crunchy and goes really well)
    Butter Buds on steamed veggies instead of butter (a tiny bit goes a long way and is only about 5 caloires)
    Thin strips of zucchini in place of noodles (I've even made lasanga without noodles using this technique)
    Pumpkin mixed w/ cake mix for muffins instead of eggs & oil
    Diet Chocolate Cola w/ a no sugar added fudgesicle in the cup is as good as an ice cream soda
    Alfalfa sprouts in place of lettuce on a sandwich or wrap (seriously it's really good)
    Grilled Chicken w/ hot sauce over a salad instead of fried buffalo chix sandwiches
    Turkey Pepperoni vs regular
    Joseph's Lavash instead of white bread (it's low carb, high protein and I get my bread fix)
    Hidden Valley rach dip mix & light sour cream instead of using the high fat ranch
    PopChips instead of regular chips