Intermittent fasting with recomposition?

Options
Who here does it? I've been doing it off and on and just want to hear some possible success with it, if any?

Replies

• jwerdlike
    jwerdlike Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump for the morning crew
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I do IF, but not sure what you mean "with recomposition"
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    not sure how effective it would be if you are doing it on and off because your body will never adjust to it so you wont get optimal results

but yes, i did IF 16/8 for about a year straight. i used to be a fatty so i definitely feel like it helped me out a lot body composition wise, but of course, my diet stays on point so i would see results regardless of what diet protocol i did honestly

you can add me and check my pics if you like, pretty sure i have my fatty pic with me holding a fish and one at the end of my cut as my profile pic
  • fhsjewfro
    Options
    why did people call it sissygains now?!?
  • jwerdlike
    jwerdlike Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What I mean by the recomp is you have your on days / off days and you carb cycle, essentially. Sorry if the terminology for that is wrong.

What I've been doing lately is a 16 hour fast on training days (3 days a week), then anywhere from 19-22 hour on off days. I've seen some results from doing this but I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar or if they recommend something else. I'm going for the most optimal situation here.

I'm at around 10% body fat, and I just want to start putting more mass on while staying lean and possibly leaning out a little more. I've read a lot about recomps and it seems ideal for my situation. So yeah.

My carb cycling is like this:

Training days 40-50% carbs, 20% fat, moderate protein, moderate protein
    Off days 40-50% fat, low carb (under 100g's), moderate protein

Also, on off days I have about a 300 calorie deficit, and on training days I have a 500+ calorie surplus (just depending on my mood and how hard I trained that day)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    What I mean by the recomp is you have your on days / off days and you carb cycle, essentially. Sorry if the terminology for that is wrong.

What I've been doing lately is a 16 hour fast on training days (3 days a week), then anywhere from 19-22 hour on off days. I've seen some results from doing this but I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar or if they recommend something else. I'm going for the most optimal situation here.

I'm at around 10% body fat, and I just want to start putting more mass on while staying lean and possibly leaning out a little more. I've read a lot about recomps and it seems ideal for my situation. So yeah.

Also, on off days I have about a 300 calorie deficit, and on training days I have a 500+ calorie surplus (just depending on my mood and how hard I trained that day)

congrats on 10% BF. I do the leangains approach for the most part and there is nothing "sissy" about it. At least not for me. I havnt tried carb cycling yet as I keep my carbs on the lower side (about 100-150 g per day, all from veggies, fruit and dairy)

When I get to 10% or so and if I hit a longer than desired plateau, I may try cycling up the carbs.

Sorry this dont help. good luck
  • fhsjewfro
    Options

i understand the recomp terminology

and i hate to burst your bubble, but you are not 10% bf, sorry man. not saying you cant GET TO 10%, but right now, negative. and i honestly do not mean that in an insulting way at all

fasting for a little longer on off days is an excellent idea and i really feel like it helps a little more so strong credit to you for figuring that out by yourself

main prob i have with this post is that you say you do a surplus on training days and a deficit on off days, that makes no sense and its just stopping you from seeing better results. dont try to take short cuts, pick either cutting or bulking and stick to it till you reach a certain goal. trying to do both at the same time is next to useless, its almost like you are just spinning your wheels in pure mud, not going anywhere
  • dinerroll
    dinerroll Posts: 12 Member
    Options

congrats on 10% BF. I do the leangains approach for the most part and there is nothing "sissy" about it. At least not for me. I havnt tried carb cycling yet as I keep my carbs on the lower side (about 100-150 g per day, all from veggies, fruit and dairy)

When I get to 10% or so and if I hit a longer than desired plateau, I may try cycling up the carbs.

Sorry this dont help. good luck

I've had success recomping using a combo of leangains and what was referred to above as ADF (which I refer to as eat-stop-eat style IF). Basically I eat at a 250-500 cal surplus on my four lifting days. Eat maintenance and do some very light cardio on non-lifting days, and on one non-lifting day I basically don't eat anything till dinner, and I keep dinner smallish. I hit proat every day, and surplus days are way more carbs, but I didn't science it out... I still eat in the vicinity (sometimes over) of 100g carbs on those two maint days... ketosis isn't necessary for fat loss. On all of these days (except the ADF day) I go with a 6-8 hour window.

I was at around 210 17.3% and I'm down to 208 16%, according to BIA gripper. The process is incredibly slow. The only reason I'm doing it is cuz I was plateauing at >1K deficits for quite a while and wanted to take an extended diet break; I plan to restart the cut in a few weeks. I'm now eating almost double what I was, and I'm maintaining scale weight. It's easier for me to be able to eat on weekends, and hence, zigzagging is a lot easier than simply eating at maintenance. I know n=1 sample doesn't mean ****, but hope this was helpful in some way.

OP, if you're 10% already and didn't have plateau issues I'd just bulk and cut. It's a lot more efficient.
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump

And -
    main prob i have with this post is that you say you do a surplus on training days and a deficit on off days, that makes no sense and its just stopping you from seeing better results. dont try to take short cuts, pick either cutting or bulking and stick to it till you reach a certain goal. trying to do both at the same time is next to useless, its almost like you are just spinning your wheels in pure mud, not going anywhere

END QUOTE - BEGIN MY 2 CENTS

This surplus on training day and deficit others is the Lean Gains recommendation for recomp and cutting.

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/23/how-to-calculate-leangains-macros/

Anyone done this? Did it work for you? I've just started today (using cut numbers, but probably move up to recomp if I don't turn whate over the next few weeks).

*OOPS! DON"T KNOW WHY MY OWN BIT IS IN THE QUOTE BOX!