Creative chicken breast recipes?

Options
I've been on Google looking and have found a few that look alright, but nothing that really inspired me. I was a vegetarian for a couple years (by default - my roommate was a vegetarian and I learned to cook from her!) so I'm not the best chicken cook and am just learning. Any recipes, tips and trick would be awesome to achieve a moist chicken breast. Anything goes, especially recipes from different cultures.

This looks pretty good, I do love me some Sriracha, not sure about the sodium in the packaged stuff though:

http://www.alidaskitchen.com/2012/03/baked-sriracha-chicken-breast.html

As an aside, I have been avoiding any recipes with a breaded coating. Is this really necessary or am I being over zealous with the lower my carbs thing? It doesn't seem like a lot of calories added, but every little thing adds up. Also, should I ever cook my chicken in a pan with olive oil, or does that add unecessary calories? I've been baking/BBQing and avoiding these things with a 'just in case' attitude.

BTW, sometimes Google isn't your friend when you type in "healthy chicken breast recipes baked" and find the delicious sounding "Cheddar and Bacon stuffed Chicken breast"!

Replies

• bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite chicken recipes is off of skinnytaste.com. It's baked chicken parmesan. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/04/baked-chicken-parmesan.html
    Baking is always better then frying IMO. I used to avoid breading but if you're breading it yourself you're really not using that much bread crumbs. Also just a little bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on any kind of chicken, YUMMM and still pretty healthy. Check skinnytaste.com for chicken recipes. You'll be salivating in no time!
  • LongLiveJen
    LongLiveJen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My friend sent me this recipe...and I loved it. It was good for lunch the next day too!

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-nut-crusted-baked-chicken-recipe/
  • Jenndragonflys
    Jenndragonflys Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite chicken recipes is off of skinnytaste.com. It's baked chicken parmesan. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/04/baked-chicken-parmesan.html
    Baking is always better then frying IMO. I used to avoid breading but if you're breading it yourself you're really not using that much bread crumbs. Also just a little bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on any kind of chicken, YUMMM and still pretty healthy. Check skinnytaste.com for chicken recipes. You'll be salivating in no time!

Thanks for this site-- everything looks good :)
  • desirez131
    desirez131 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just made buffalo chicken in the crockpot and it was delish. You just crockpot the chicken for 6 hours, add your choice of seasonings, and when it's done, pull apart the meat. Then add the buffalo sauce (get a mild and not a hot or it will be extremely hot). I threw mine on a wrap and added a bit of shredded cheese and light ranch. You could also do a buffalo chicken dip.

DELISH!
  • schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just made buffalo chicken in the crockpot and it was delish. You just crockpot the chicken for 6 hours, add your choice of seasonings, and when it's done, pull apart the meat. Then add the buffalo sauce (get a mild and not a hot or it will be extremely hot). I threw mine on a wrap and added a bit of shredded cheese and light ranch. You could also do a buffalo chicken dip.

DELISH!

i love this recipe! i add a packet of ranch dip mix (the dry stuff in a packet) for seasoning.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts are nasty. A boneless skinless thigh is just as healthful once trimmed of excess fat and doesn't taste like cardboard. Stands up to long cooking a lot better too.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I don't know if this is considered "creative." but it's definitely delicious.

You could make buffalo chicken chunks. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Season with salt and pepper, and saute it in a tablespoon of butter. Once the chicken is browned and cooked through, turn off the heat. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt two tablespoons of light butter spread, five tablespoons of hot sauce, and a tablespoon of white vinegar together. Mix thoroughly and pour on top of chicken. I served it over rice.
  • brittrose33
    Options
    Everything sounds so good! I just happened to be given an enormous pack of chicken breasts that I didn't want to get boring, but next time I'll try chicken thighs or other parts. Also, how did I live without skinnytaste,com?!
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump to gather ideas and to share in the Morning :bigsmile:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts are nasty. A boneless skinless thigh is just as healthful once trimmed of excess fat and doesn't taste like cardboard. Stands up to long cooking a lot better too.
    My plan is to switch over for a bit as many recipes I've seen talk about how much more flavor the thighs have in them. I've found Chicken breasts/tenders so flavorless anymore. Even when I've added spices and such, there's no flavor in the chicken I agree! After I finish up the ones in the freezer I think I'll pick up thighs at Trader Joe's.
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    bump
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That sriracha chicken is SERIOUSLY on my to-make list! That looks amazzzzing.
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This recipe is so delish my VERY picky fiance even ate it up! :0)

I kinda just eye this so Idk measurements but is really easy to eye

-chicken breast
    -honey dijon
    -white wine vinegar
    -extra virgin olive oil
    -garlic
    -dill

I just put the chicken breasts in a bowl and marinate it all together. I usually do this in the morning and cover it with plastic wrap it stick it in the fridge at night. Then, I cook the chicken on a grill pan ( however I am sure it would taste just as yummy baked!) and then chop it up into a salad for dinner! Very good and easy plus none of those ingredients have an insane amount of cals
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Chicken Jalfrezi

While the name suggests its a chinese dish it is infact an Indian/Pakistani dish. It is rather uncommon but is it really really delicious and I am very happy to share this recipe with you tonight!

Ingredients:
    1lb. Boneless chicken breast
    2 Tomatoes medium sized very finely chopped
    2 tbsp butter (or ghee if its available)
    2 tbsp olive oil (or any cooking oil really, I just prefer olive)
    1 tsp coriander powder
    1 tsp cumin seed powder
    3/4 tbsp turmeric powder
    1 tbsp Red chili Powder
    2 Cloves of Garlic finely chopped
    1 Bell Pepper
    1 Medium sized white Onion very finely chopped
    1.5 tbsp fresh ginger grated or very finely chopped. Can also use ginger paste
    Some Cilantro
    Salt

Make very small cubes of chicken and add in the turmuric, salt and chili powder. Let it marinate for a bit (I let it marinate for about 30 minutes but I recommend atleast an hour, preferably 2 hours in fridge), add very little water if needed to help marinate properly.

In a pan, heat up some oil and fry some onion and garlic till its color changes to golden. Add the chicken into it and let it cook for about 5 minutes.

Add all the tomatoes and ginger into it and let it cook for another 10 minutes. Dont add water. Let the water dry out. Add the butter

When the water dries out, add cumin and coriander seed powder. and stir it for a bit to even out the powder taste throughout. Then add the bell pepper and let it fry for about 5 more minutes.
    Voila, your delicious dish is ready. Add in some fresh herbs such as cilantro and Mint leaves and eat with pita, naan or rice.

Ciao!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/chicken-jalfrezi-226129
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Goto an arabic store and get some shawarma spice (you're NOT making shawarma btw)

cut 2 lbs chicken into small 1 inch cube pieces. put 2 tbsp olive oil, about 2 tsp shawarma spice. about 3 tbsp lemon juice. Mix and marinate for about 2 hours.

chop up 2 onions, 1 tomato, red, orange, yellow bell peppers (1 each). Make sure to take the seeds out. Chop them up.

with the help of PAM, fry up the chicken. When its almost done, add the tomatos, after a couple of minutes, add the other veggies. Add some hot sauce on top of it if you like

You can make a nice burritto out of it if you like or eat it as is
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Chicken, pan fry in coconut oil (a must if you want to cook right)
    1/2 capsicum.... any colour although the red one is more sweet than green
    1 serving of stir fry mixed vege (now I get mine from Aldi & I love it, but it's basically carrot, cabbage & something else lol)
    1 Chapati slice
    1 teaspoon tomato paste
    1/2 teaspoon chilli... the hotter the better cause you will actually burn a little fat off
    3 slices of the lowest fat/lowest cal cheese you can find

cook chicken, then shred into small bits
    add everything else except the chapati, cheese & tomato paste
    spread tomato paste on chapati, then load up your cooked pan mix on it like a pizza topping, then add the slices of cheese so it will cover almost all of it.
    Throw in microwave for 20 seconds.... any longer & the cheese goes strange

EAT

Enjoy the best tasting pizza you have EVER had, totally natural & soooooooooooooooo filling.
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mmm...sriracha and chicken are magic together.