Cold Winter Running Gear -- suggestions?

Options
Hi everyone! I live in Massachusetts and I've been doing C25K. I just finished that program yesterday (YAY! With a 9 minute mile :) and I am moving on to C210K and then the half marathon program over the winter.

Because I live in New England and it gets cold, I'm looking for good winter running gear. I have shoes I really love, but I need pants and a jacket (or whatever). Do you wear gloves, head and neck stuff? (I have a LOT of skiing gear, might some of that work?)

I'm looking for suggestions from people who have experience running 30+ minutes, outdoors, in weather 30 degrees F and colder. Also any tips to help me adapt to the cold weather running which I am sure is a bit different.

Thank in advance!

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Some of the running websites have a feature called "dress the runner" that can be helpful in guessing what you need at certain temps. Remember though, wind chill makes an enormous difference, especially if you are doing walk/runs.

It's going to take some experimentation. I tend to love half zip shirts with fold over mittens. I can be all bundled up at the start that way and adjust the zip and fold back the mittens as I heat up. I've lost a lot of gloves and just like this fold-over mitten better! I rarely wear hats.

I don't put on tights until it's below freezing.

You want to be chilly at the start of your run, because you are going to heat up a great deal.

If you drive somewhere and then run on a trail or something like that, bring dry clothes (at least a dry shirt) to switch into when you stop running.

ETA: You may want to buy a pair of YakTrax. These are like little snow tires for your shoes. Cold doesn't usually prevent me from running, but ice will. YakTrax dig into the ice so you don't fall and hurt yourself. If you don't have YakTrax, you have to shorten your stride a lot to keep from wiping out on icy roads.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Under Armour makes a line called Cold Gear, that is specifically for cold weather and keeping you warm.

I just bought two base layer shirts(crew neck) that I can throw under other tee shirts or a jacket to keep me warm.

I wore one this morning for running because it was only 50 degrees out, and I loved them.. def. kept me warm without being too warm!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am curious too because I started running in warm weather so I have no clue about cold weather! I live in Pa along Lake Erie so we get pretty chilly here too and I am hoping I am not going to be bound to my treadmill all winter!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    base layers for your core. I am a big fan of Helly Hanson tops for cold weather running. A beanie for covering your ears and running gloves. If it is really cold i will also wear a gilet top. Running in the cold is great, i love running on a crisp winters day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Think dressing in layers. It gets even colder up here in the Ottawa area, it's not unusual to hit -35C in January & February.

You may be able to use some of your ski gear such as a lightweight, wicking base layer (Helly Hansen or similar), hat and gloves and fleece if you have it. I'm not sure what kind of ski socks you're using but chances are they'll be appropriate for cold weather running too. (I haven't skied for quite a few years so I'm a little behind on the gear)

As 126siany pointed out - it may take a little experimentation. Most days a pair of tights may be enough for your legs (more for wind protection than anything else) other days you'll need a light thermal layer under them (I've been using a merino wool base layer for a couple of years, light & warm & great for wearing under my drysuit scuba diving too)

You'll want a lightweight shell, again mostly to block the wind & keep you drier on rainy / snowy days. (Look for something brightly coloured to stand out in lower light conditions with 360° reflective striping)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Layers all the way. How much and what type will depend on how you handle the cold.

IMO, for your base layer you'll want a pair of heavy wicking tights and top.
    After that, layer on as much as you need. I'm a big fan of polartec fleece - warm, light, wind resistant.

Don't forget something waterproof/resistant if you'll be running in snow/rain/slush.

Also, don't underestimate the benefit of good socks/hat/gloves.

Lastly, while warmth is important, dealing with wind can be more important than dealing with the temp.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! This is all so helpful. :)
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm from MA too, feel free to add me.

The winter I trained for the marathon was FREEZING! My best piece of advice: all tights are not created equal. Get ones that are lined with fleece on the inside. You can find them at most sporting goods stores.

I personally loved the underarmour mock turtlenecks.....sometimes when it was really cold I'd wear these under a half-zip underarmor cold gear shirt.

Make sure to wear a hat - better than earmuffs. If you can find mittens, they are better than gloves because your fingers rub together. If it's REALLLLLYYY cold, you can find some "hot hands" to stick in your gloves - they also make ones for your lower back now that keep your body toasty.

Good luck!
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump, this is good info, thanx
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You guys are so amazingly awesome!! I'm really impressed by the serious hard core going on here. :) I live in Arizona, and my idea of cold is so absurd. I am a desert rat, and I think anything below 50 justifies my cold weather gear. Keep running!!!