Everyone keeps talking about a program

Options
It seems like I keep reading messages referring to this website as a weight loss program. Am I missing something?

I would submit that this site is nothing more than a journal for keeping track of what you eat and how often you exercise. ANY diet program can be followed while using this site as a tool for charting your progress.

Personally, I changed the fields that the "Food" tab follows from "Carbs/Fat/Protein" to "Sugar/Fiber/Fat" as I am concerned more with the amount of sugar I consume than the total carbs. I also changed the meals from "Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snacks" to "Breakfast/Morning Snacks/Lunch/Afternoon Snacks/Dinner/Evening Snacks" since I am interested in knowing more specifically when I am snacking (I'm trying to eat a small snack between each main meal and not to eat after dinner).

I could theoretically be following a low-carb diet, a low-fat diet, a low-calorie diet or any combination of the above and still use this website. Additionally, I could be attending Weight Watcher meetings, following along with The Biggest Loser on TV, or taking OTC pills like Hoodia while still using this site as a tool.

So why does everyone keep referring to this site as a weight loss program in and of itself?

Replies

• big_guy
    big_guy Posts: 8
    Options
    It seems like I keep reading messages referring to this website as a weight loss program. Am I missing something?

I would submit that this site is nothing more than a journal for keeping track of what you eat and how often you exercise. ANY diet program can be followed while using this site as a tool for charting your progress.

Personally, I changed the fields that the "Food" tab follows from "Carbs/Fat/Protein" to "Sugar/Fiber/Fat" as I am concerned more with the amount of sugar I consume than the total carbs. I also changed the meals from "Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snacks" to "Breakfast/Morning Snacks/Lunch/Afternoon Snacks/Dinner/Evening Snacks" since I am interested in knowing more specifically when I am snacking (I'm trying to eat a small snack between each main meal and not to eat after dinner).

I could theoretically be following a low-carb diet, a low-fat diet, a low-calorie diet or any combination of the above and still use this website. Additionally, I could be attending Weight Watcher meetings, following along with The Biggest Loser on TV, or taking OTC pills like Hoodia while still using this site as a tool.

So why does everyone keep referring to this site as a weight loss program in and of itself?
  • sopre1
    sopre1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I guess you could see it as a free weight loss program that is tracked and done by yourself. Thats how my husband and I see it because it does all the work for you without paying money, and even gives you support through the message boards. The best way and the healthiest way to loose weight is by diet and exercise, 1lb a week they say to actually keep it off. It is working for us, how are you doing?
  • jeannius
    jeannius Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey big guy! no..you are not missing anything as far as I can see. I just joined a few days ago. I view this as a way to journal your food/exercise info. I find it really handy as I am at a computer often....

I have tried to keep a food diary in the past and I just didn't have the discipline.

I have 60 pounds to lose...how about you?
  • mydietplan
    mydietplan Posts: 10
    Options
    IT IS A FREE WAY TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT YOU ARE CONSUMING & A WAY TO SEE IF ANY ONE HAS ADVICE THAT MAY PERTAIN TO YOU. EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT SO SEEING HOW OTHERS DO IT IS A HELP TO ME ANYWAY. I JUST JOINED & HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THINGS ON THIS SITE & FIND IT VERY INFORMATIVE. (FREE CALORIE COUNTER/DIET & EXERCISE JOURNAL)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ don't yell! It's rude!!

My program is the ELMM (eat less move more) or CICO (calories in calories out)
    A huge amount of programs are fads that aren't sustainable in the long term
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Its a journal not a programme imo.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Part misunderstanding, part different use of words. I have often the impression that newcomers think MFP is a "program" and want to use the "program" and where is the "food plan". But the overall consensus is that this is a "computer program", which is just an automated tool.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    The "program" part is that MFP assigns you a calorie goal to lose the .5-2lbs per week target that you entered. As time has gone by, I have tweaked my calorie goal, but I was incredibly grateful that MFP gave me a suggested target because I had no idea where to start initially. Part of the "program" is giving you estimated burn calories to be eaten back as well. Personally I love it. Glad to see you are already customizing and getting comfy here.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they're calling it a program as in a computer program? Or because MFP is a component of their overall fitness strategy. Don't really care what they call it, as long as what they're doing is a safe plan based on sound principals.

Come to think of it, if we called it an MFP cleanse maybe it would get more attention....
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Or a fast. We could call it an mps food fast. Im sure there would be loads of new members!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Throw the word 'magic' in there and you're good to go! :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The original post is from 2007.

I think we've figured it out by now.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    The original post is from 2007.

I think we've figured it out by now.

Good catch! Dang.

@mrsfitzyv8 why are you scolding someone about yelling 8 years after the fact?
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Omfg I didn't even look at the date! Sorry guys
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider a program. It's a website that you track calories on. Since in the end, weight loss is about calories, I guess that would make it a program? I dunno.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Maybe back in '07 calling MFP a program was all the rage?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Omfg I didn't even look at the date!

Don't yell, it's rude B)

7zdzygl.jpg

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    A "program" can be defined as a plan of action to create a specific end. MFP is a program based on that definition. By eating the number of calories assigned (following the plan of action) it will help you get to a certain weight (specific end).
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    ^^^^ don't yell! It's rude!!

My program is the ELMM (eat less move more) or CICO (calories in calories out)
    A huge amount of programs are fads that aren't sustainable in the long term

Don't correct people for all caps, that's so 2007.

(All caps is easier for some disabilities, let it go...)