help needed!

Options
Hi ladies and gents,

Tomorrow I have to work at a fair from 9am-11pm.. I was told that I can not bring in any food of my own. I was wondering if anyone knows any healthy eating ideas for a fair because I'm getting nervous! I have been sticking to my diet pretty well and don't want to even have one bad day.

*The fair is The Big E incase any of you New Englanders know what food they are serving!

Replies

• ullgetthere
    Options
    I'm from Canada so we don't have The Big E. I tried to help out and looked up the event online. It looks awesome!! First thing I can say is to buy a bottle of water!! Also, since the portions seem pretty big try to share with people to make sure you can eat less. Don't stress too much , try your best and have fun! Trust yourself!
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies and gents,

Tomorrow I have to work at a fair from 9am-11pm.. I was told that I can not bring in any food of my own. I was wondering if anyone knows any healthy eating ideas for a fair because I'm getting nervous! I have been sticking to my diet pretty well and don't want to even have one bad day.

*The fair is The Big E incase any of you New Englanders know what food they are serving!

thats ****ed up you cant bring your own in... just get a doctors note saying you have a special diet and that you need to bring your own food in with you.. problem solved
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    I am not familiar with this fair but at our MN state fair there were salads and fruits served. You can get a burger or hot dog throw the bun or eat half of it. There should be some sort of chicken. Stay away from the deep fried stuff. If you go over your food numbers don't worry just get back on track the next day. Have fun!
  • lmeola18
    Options
    Whatever you do stay away from the Luther burgers!!! Bacon cheeseburger in a Krispy Kreme donut, delicious but soooo horrible for you
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    See if any of the vendors are selling salads for food. Stay away from all fried food if you can help it and keep in mind portion sizes. Good luck!
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well you may have 1 bad day...it's worse to starve yourself for the day. Drink plenty of water! Also, chew a minty sugar free gum or chew on a strong mint candy like an altoid, that should stop the cravings from all the fried dough/cotton candy/hot dog smells in the air. I am from New England and never heard of that fair. Regardless, just remind yourself how well you've been doing and you'll get back on track Friday!! Some situations are unavoidable... good luck and log into MFP for support if needed!!
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I may try to sneak in a salad or even just some fruit! i'll try to stay away from the fried dough and cotton candy but it will be hard ;).
  • demonlullaby
    Options
    Whatever you do stay away from the Luther burgers!!! Bacon cheeseburger in a Krispy Kreme donut, delicious but soooo horrible for you

OMG! I don't eat red meat so that won't be a problem but that sounds like a crazy combination!
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I dont know anything about this fair I however do live in Dallas Texas where the TEXAS STATE FAIR is always held and if the food at your fair is anything like what we have...DONT EAT ANY OF IT, lol. Since your only going for 2 hours maybe eat something a little before you go and then as soon as you get home. If you must just have a sampling of the tasty treats your fair has, definitely do what another poster said and find a friend or 3 to share it with. Having said that, one day or one treat isnt going to sidetrack your overall efforts anyway, so indulge a little and dont feel guilty about it. I spent 20 years in bodybuilding and ate nothing but tuna and rice pretty much every day for almost two decades....that is no way to live...enjoy yourself every now and then and treat yourself to something tasty-it wont hurt a bit and will keep you sane for the long journey of a healthy lifestyle.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    oops, sorry...its not 2 hours its all day....I cant read, lol. but either way...make the best choices you can and dont sweat one day of eating bad...not gonna hurt ya in the long run.
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I went to my State's Fair last month and tried so very hard to avoid all the smells and wonderful food. Didn't work. I ate everything from corn dogs to fried cookie dough. But you know what? I worked out heavy the next day and forgot all about the setback I had. Took me a couple of days to get back on track and I didn't punish myself or get depressed.
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would eat a healthy breakfast... fast during the day, and eat a healthy dinner.
  • nbeth901
    nbeth901 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just went to a fair this weekend. Not all the food is all that bad. I bought a bottle of water for $5dollars and a piece of grilled chicken for more than I care to remember! So just try to stay away from the sugar and the fried foods.

I am proud of myself though. They had these gourmet candle apples with any kind of candy you want on them...plus the caramel. I stared at them for a long time. My mouth watered..and then I though about all of calories and how well I have been doing.. and I moved on!

You can do it! I did..and I NEVER turn away from fair food.. I ma this year! Good luck!
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can find some roast chicken halves? I'd definitely eat a big healthy breakfast.. worst case- enjoy a little *cheating* and don't get on the scale for a few days!
  • demonlullaby
    Options
    I just went to a fair this weekend. Not all the food is all that bad. I bought a bottle of water for $5dollars and a piece of grilled chicken for more than I care to remember! So just try to stay away from the sugar and the fried foods.

I am proud of myself though. They had these gourmet candle apples with any kind of candy you want on them...plus the caramel. I stared at them for a long time. My mouth watered..and then I though about all of calories and how well I have been doing.. and I moved on!

You can do it! I did..and I NEVER turn away from fair food.. I ma this year! Good luck!

All the power to you! I'll probably give in for a gourmet apple but I hope not!!
  • Kallie3000
    Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Most of the fairs where we are have 'ethnic' food stands. You can often find healthier stuff there, though still higher in calories. Personally I would still take a kit with my own food, some fruit, veggie sticks and some yogurt in a tiny cooler or something. I don't think it is reasonable to demand that someone who is working or volunteering at a fair has to kill themselves on deep fried crap! You could always eat it in the bathroom or something, haha!
  • _workforit
    Options
    Eat a big, filling, healthy meal before you go! That way you won't get hungry while you're there. & even if you do start to get hungry a small snack at the fair will help quell your appetite. At the fair, stick to protien vs carbs - less detriment & more filling!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I would eat before I start work at 9 and eat after I get off...9-11 is three hours, that is doable....

edited...sorry-missed that PM after 11...ignore my post!!
  • dmurphy1975
    dmurphy1975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to attend the Big E. Just finished with the MD state fair where I was there for 4 days and I understand the difficult time of avoiding all of the great food. Find someone selling seafood (not fried) or chicken and avoid foods from the big carnival vendors. At our fair there is a section of food served by local non-profit groups, they usually have something a bit healthier and usually cheaper. Either way just enjoy the fair and don't stress to much about the one day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I would eat a healthy breakfast... fast during the day, and eat a healthy dinner.

This sounds like a great plan *if* OP had some experience with 14 hours fasts. (In fact, that is what *I* would do if I couldn't find any food choices I was comfortable with.) I'm not sure I would recommend her first try at that being on the day of the fair though. Not everyone responds to fasting in a good way.