Help! Diet Coke Addiction!!

Options
124»

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I love my Diet Coke too - it's how I get my caffeine in the mornings since I don't like coffee or tea.

Going cold turkey might be the ticket for you, or weaning off of it - everyone is different. I know when I go cold turkey I get terrible headaches for several days. I used to be hard core and would drink a 2 liter bottle every day. Now it's more like 1 liter. And I switched from a 2 liter bottle to the smaller bottles at home. It's a little more expensive, but it's my way of controlling how much I drink. And I've also found that I really like the carbonation, so I drink the flavored carbonated water.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to be a diet dr. pepper addict....I totally know how you feel. I haven't had a soda in almost 4 months now though. Try sparkling peach water. I love it! I think I really just loved the carbonation, and the flavored sparkling water is a nice treat every now and then. I drink a lot of black tea, green tea and coffee now though. I haven't been able to kick the caffeine addiction, but after I stopped drinking soda I've stopped craving it completely. I took a sip of a Mango Pepsi Next the other day, just to try it, and couldn't drink it. I've had a lot of people say the same thing. It just isn't appetizing anymore. I would try cutting back to one soda a day, then go from there.
  • Ladymomo9
    Ladymomo9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How about trying one every other day, then one every 2 days and so on. Or buy those really small cans. I love diet drinks...people make fun because when I eat I have a diet coke..but I refuse to drink my calories... I love iced tea with lemon but i never make it. I used to buy like 10 2 liters of diet drinks from walmart or cases or diets and I dont anymore. I have cut back..but I drink diet 7 up or diet squirt...and a diet coke on occasion.
  • Cantona08
    Options

It is articles like this that just make me shake my head. If you really read it, you'll notice the following (** emphasis mine):

"guzzling diet soda comes with its own set of side effects that **may** harm your health"

"It **might** be bad for your kidneys."

"Whether that link is attributed to an ingredient in diet soda or the drinkers' eating habits is **unclear**"

"That means people who consume diet foods **might** be more likely to overeat"

"These chemicals **have the ability** to cause severe damage"

From reading that article, you would think drinking a single can of diet soda will make all your teeth fall out, make you sterile, and cause your DNA to turn you into a mutant. Its loaded with "mights" and "mays", with no proof of anything.

Have a can of Diet Coke if you like, more power to you.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I used to go through a two liter of diet coke a day....and it was ruining my stomach, literally. I would bloat, be dehydrated and i would feel twitchy from the high levels of caffeine, yet oddly enough crash, so in essence the caffeine really didn't help much, it would make me crash and burn , leaving me with drinking more diet coke!

I kicked the habit by switching to MIO. It's flavored water, but i think most of my problem was impulse, I drank it because it was easily accessible, now I just dont buy it. Period. I have cases of water and mio in my fridge every week just so I dont drink anything with high fructose corn syrup or aspartame in it. Good luck! I know you can do it!
  • DiannaPosey88
    Options
    I don't have a Diet Coke addiction Diet Pepsi for me and I stopped drinking it for a couple wks and lost 10 lbs! I think it's because even if it's diet it still bloats you. Also if you notice when you wake up and weigh yourself then grad a soda or a couple weigh yourself again bloating can cause lbs too.