Why do my toes go numb?

Options
When i started working out a month ago 15 mins into the elliptical machine my toes would go numb.. But only on my left foot.. Well now I can make it 30 mins without them going numb? Anyone have any idea why? Its only my left foot but its all the toes.. I have to step off the elliptical and walk around for 3-5 mins before they stop being numb.. After that I can get back on the elliptical and finish my workout..

Replies

• kym123tx
    kym123tx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    my left foot goes numb too! lol i believe its our bodys favoring that side of the body.

maybe our shoes?
  • amcmullan
    amcmullan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem! I think it does have something to do with the side that we favor or our shoes. make sure you are getting good circulation.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Do searches for it on the fitness board. It's common. Most people will tell you to retie your shoes. I have trouble barefoot. Long story short - my piriformous muscle gets tight and rubs on my sciatic nerve. It's from weak hips. Work on stregthening your hips.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    are you tying your shoes too tight? I noticed that I was doing that and it started causing some serious numbing and pain.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Try loosening your shoelaces at the top of your foot. I get this too when I'm running or on the elliptical trainer.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have circulation issues with my legs and my legs and feet will turn purple. I haev found that easing into excersise slowly to get my heartrate going slowly and it avoids the numbness and bad circulation. I also got better shoes.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me.
  • monxxx
    Options
    I have the same issue my left toe goes numb after being on the elliptical for 5 minutes lol
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I am running - I think I have found a good solution though as mentioned above. I tend to pull my laces tihht all the way from the top to the bottom. I've recently loosened the bottom ones off completely and then just tightened them at the top - since then the problem has got a lot lot better.
  • jesspi68
    Options
    Since switching to my vibram barefoot shoes I no longer have this problem! :)
  • darsmail1
    darsmail1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To fix that problem , as I too had that , and a YMCA Trainer said raise your toes while doing it, when they go numb. It works .
  • kelleymeg
    kelleymeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i think most people have that problem especially with the elliptical since your foot is not coming completely off the pedal, it doesnt allow time for the blood to return to your foot.

I alternate 10-15min going forward then reverse and go backward for 5 min - i find this works without stopping my workout.
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    This happens to me too! But only if I'm working out at the gym on the elliptical or treadmill... it NEVER happens when I'm outside walking or shuffling!
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's also because your feet don't get any break from the constant pressure that the foot paddles the elliptical machine puts on them. This can happen while on a bike too since your feet are always on the foot pads. On the treadmill or even just walking in general, your foot gets a break when you lift it to take a step forward. Think about when you sit for too long, what happens? Your butt goes numb. Same thing happens with your feet on an elliptical or bike. Try giving the ball of your feet a break by lightly picking them up while your on the machine, that should help. This used to happen to me too so I had to do some research and that's what I found. I hope this helps!
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    happens to me too...I find that if I "make fists with my toes" the numbness goes away. That way I don't stop my workout.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Used to happen all the time to me on the elliptical. It no longer occurs on the strid machine I am now working out on. - sort of like a ski machine. I think it is due to the fact that the motion flexes my foot instead of staying flat.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post this because I'm having a similar problem and wondered about it, too. Thing is, it's only one toe on my left foot that goes numb, but I'm not using an elliptical - I work out on a stationary recumbent bike. Odd.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This happens to me. I have pinched nerves in the balls of both feet (neuroma). It can be caused by shoes that are too small or narrow. I have an orthopedic insole with extra padding just behind the ball of the foot. It spreads the metatarsals to relieve the pressure on the nerve. It takes a bit of getting used to, but relieves the numbness and burning I get in my toes/balls of feet when working out.
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have that issue too. 2 Things helped: Losening (sp?) my shoes AND, even more important, not taking my heal up when bringing my knee up. I found keeping my heal down really helped the numbness. It's hard to get used to, but it worked for me. Hope this helps.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me while running a lot. I tried the shoe loosening thing and thought that was helping but it'd still happen even though my shoes were so loose they were practically falling off. I'd also say make sure your shoes are the right size for you. My running shoes are a good full size larger than any other shoes I wear (your feet will swell significantly when working out). Another thing that made a big difference is extensive stretching beforehand. I make sure I really stretch my my lower leg and ankles before I run. That seems to help in loosening the area and making sure I get adequate blood flow later on.