So Exercise, how do you even guess the calories?

Options
I am looking to trim up some, lose some gutt. I actually don't eat horridly, but I have opted to watch my calories and then re-fit how I eat to help. Doing that alone I lost a good 17 lbs in a month without exercise. I am also diabetic, so at times, try as I may, I break my limits due to a insulin recovery.

I want to start a light workout, and plan to get a gym membership as I go. I have a torn right rotator cuff. I am suppose to use bands to work it stronger slowly. In doing so I picked up your typical Gold's Gym 3 band resistance kit.

Here's my problem. I do all 8 of the basic exercises it shows with the blue band to start. 3 sets of each, 10 reps, 9 reps, 8 reps. Nothing too strenuous, but I have no idea what I am burning calorie wise. Is there any way to figure this out?

Replies

• chellebelle
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. My husband got me one for my birthday last month and it's by far the best birthday present I've ever gotten.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    the most accurate way to do so is by buying a heart rate monitor
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i just bought a heart rate monitor bc i was just as curious when i workout to see how much i burn.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I had a torn rotator cuff several years ago and had it repaired via surgery. Hope you don't need that because it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced! :sad: :cry: And it took a whole year before the surgeon would allow me to play golf again. :brokenheart:

And the rehab with the PT was also extremely painful! (Called my therapist "Hanoi Hannah" because I thought she must have gotten her training in the "Hanoi Hilton"! :laugh: )

But she was great and I regained full strength and range of motion! (Her motto was "if you ain't cryin' you ain't tryin'") :laugh:

The HRM is probably your best bet. But I wouldn't look at what you are doing as a big calorie burner. Probably too small to even worry about. Go for the cardio if your shoulder can take it.