Morning Workouts

Options
Hey guys! I was wondering who here works out in the mornings? Like 5 AM ish. I have been trying so hard to get up and work out at that time but it seems like I always end up hitting the snooze button on my alarm! I've even tried going to sleep at about 9 pm but just can't get the motivation to get outta bed.

I dunno about y'all but I work 8-5 (45 minute commute to and from work) and have a 3 hour class once a week after work too. I also meet up once a week with a friend to do strength training and play sand volleyball for a few hours after work another day. Im just always so worn out! But then I can't seem to turn my mind off to sleep...ugh any tips or motivation to help me add in some morning cardio would be so appreciated!

Replies

• SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4am, drink a pre-workout mix, get my intra-workout mix ready and ready to lift by about 4:25-4:30 - luckily my gym is right down the street from me! Honestly, i was NEVER a morning person! I hated getting up in the morning, but now i actually look forward to waking up and hitting the gym that early. it takes 21 days to make a habit and i've now been doing this for a few months.

my motivation is this: all the effort and hardwork that i put in before most people even get out of bed in the morning just makes me feel awesome. that's all the motivation i need. doing something that most people don't want to do is what drives me.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I started working out in the mornings once I got my job. I have to be at work at 7:20am (ten minute commute, luckily) and do cardio workouts in the morning.
    The thing that REALLY helps me is literally sleeping in my gym clothes so I am already to go when I get up (sports bra & all). I usually have a glass of ice water to help wake up and sometimes even brush my teeth to get going. Last year I would do cardio and strength in the morning but since I got a gym membership last month, I've just been doing 30-45 cardio (nothing intense, unless I'm in the mood) and then either a spin class or weights at night a few times a week. I thought about maybe skipping the morning workouts but, even though it's hard to get up, I really like how I feel afterwards and going to work knowing I've done something already!
    It get's easier, promise. It was really hard the first couple weeks but now it's routine. I try to go be in bed by ten and I wake up at 5:15am, gym at 5:30 and workout til 6:15.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    I work out in the afternoons now, but I used to exercise pretty early in the morning. What I find is that the real difficulty is in getting yourself up and out and once you are dressed and walk out the door it is pretty smooth sailing from there. I used to put my alarm clock across the room so I'd have to stand up and get out of bed to turn it off.

My friend still does work out in the morning, and she sleeps in her gym clothes and prepares absolutely everything she'd need and puts it in the doorway, so her alarm goes off, she gets herself out of bed and walks straight out the door.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to work out every morning at 7.15am 5 days a week. Mainly because I get a lift to work and dont actually start until 9am so always had time. Now I change it up between mornings and evenings after work and a good mix of the both really works - I always keep my gym bag by the door so if I walk past it and dont lift it I would be completely guilty!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I have to be at work at 0800, so get up at 0500 to run 3 days per week. I'm not really a morning person, but I like having my run done. I'm just like you - I just want to hit the snooze alarm and turn over. I've found that I have to decide at night that I'm getting up no matter what.. That way, when the alarm goes off I don't decided if I'm going to get up - that decision has already been made. I just have to do it. Once I'm actually out of the bed and getting dressed it gets easier. I drive to the Y and run early morning on the track for safety. I don't strength train in the morning though. Haven't started that. Maybe I need to....
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Always in the morning I wish I felt like working out at the end of the day too, but I quit telling myself I would because I never do.

I used to wake up at 4am because I need a solid 30minutes to fully wake up and get ready. I recently started the last couple weeks going to bed an hour earlier and waking up about 3:15-3:30. I'm a morning person so I love this its give me a bunch of ME time before I start my day.

Weekend I workout when I wake up which is usualyl between 6-7, if its not before this I usually end up not doing it.

All my workouts from home.
  • CassieLyle
    Options
    I workout from 745-9am every morning.. but my time choice is limited.. My kids are in prek from 735am-1030am.. So i drop them off, go to the gym, come home and shower then pick them up from school...my gym dont offer childcare and I dont have a sitter so unless Daddy is off work Im unable to go to the gym.
  • Sphillips9686
    Options
    I just recently started to goto the gym in the morning. I ususally get to the gym around 515am Like you I also have a busy schedule with work and school. However what I do is place my alarm clock across the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off. Once im out of the bed I do not get back in, I go wash my face to wake me up alittle more. I can honestly say that going to the gym in the morning makes me feel better and more alive and active. Hopefully this will help you. What I also like about going in the morning is if I dont feel like going after work atleast I know I already went. And if I feel like going again in the afternoon there is nothing wrong with a double work out.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    don't hit snooze!!!!! just get up. it totally STINKS!!!! but only for about 5 minutes. and i must say i've NEVER regretted a morning workout.

also...see my profile picture?? that's what i see on my phone (it's also the background on my phone) when my alarm goes off!!!
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm going to do it tomorrow haha I WILL wake up early and run!

Y'all are the best!
  • shanski8521
    Options
    I used to work out in the mornings (I woke up at 5am and got to the gym by 5:45) but now I have lost my 'mo-jo'. But after reading all these posts I AM going to work out tomorrow morning. It does make a WORLD of difference. You feel more alive, you have that endorphin rush and it's awesome!! You all are an inspiration to me!! Thanks! ~ :smile:
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work out every morning at or around 0430. I have to be at work by 0700 and I have to drop a 9 year old to before school care before I get to work. I get off of work at 1530 and I grab my son and take him to soccer practice. We get home and I cook dinner and sometimes we still go out and take the dog for a walk. You just have to get up and sit up when you hear that alarm get off. Believe me I want to stay in bed too but I get up because I know it will make my day so much easier and accomplished. :) Good luck on your mornings chica! :)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I was wondering who here works out in the mornings? Like 5 AM ish. I have been trying so hard to get up and work out at that time but it seems like I always end up hitting the snooze button on my alarm! I've even tried going to sleep at about 9 pm but just can't get the motivation to get outta bed.

I dunno about y'all but I work 8-5 (45 minute commute to and from work) and have a 3 hour class once a week after work too. I also meet up once a week with a friend to do strength training and play sand volleyball for a few hours after work another day. Im just always so worn out! But then I can't seem to turn my mind off to sleep...ugh any tips or motivation to help me add in some morning cardio would be so appreciated!

I feel ya! I just recently started running at 5am. And while you DO have a tough schedule, here's mine:

Work M-F 730-5
    I teach 3 Kickboxing classes M W F 6-7, then train for an hr after that

Oh yeah, I have my 7 month old in tow with me bc the wife and I work opposite schedules. So when I DO leave the gym, we go home, shower/bathe, eat, and he goes to bed around 10. I hit the sack at 11:30 after I clean the kitchen and make my lunch for the next day.

So I totally feel your pain. One trick I learned, put your alarm clock (or phone) across the room. You can hear it but physically HAVE to get out of bed to shut it off. After a few weeks of that, it will become routine.