What's your take on Agave Syrup?

Options
I've read a few articles or two about how Agave Nectar is all in all better for you than splenda/sugar/etc etc.
Apparently it's the #1 all natural sweetner to use!

Just wondering how many else use it and what their experiences are? Have you experienced a weight gain/loss difference after switching to agave?

Sometimes I'll have a good whole POT of tea at night, and that adds up to nearly 120cals of agave syrup (half a tablespoon in each cup of tea yumm)
But it tastes so good i dont even care LOL

tell me your agave stories, GO :D

Replies

• JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    We use it in place of sugar in coffee and syrup for pancakes. We love it most everything except tea, its a bit too sweet for tea.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    We use it in place of sugar in coffee and syrup for pancakes. We love it most everything except tea, its a bit too sweet for tea.

oh wow, i never even thought of using it on my pancakes. LOL. derp.
    I like my tea overly sweet, so call me crazy ! haha. tastes like candy :3
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    The only way I like my agave is in my tequila.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I frequently use it when making "healthy" baked goods or drizzled on top of Greek yogurt. However, a friend recently sent me this article which kind of scared me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/agave-this-sweetener-is-f_b_537936.html
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've read a few articles or two about how Agave Nectar is all in all better for you than splenda/sugar/etc etc.
    Apparently it's the #1 all natural sweetner to use!

I've read numerous articles stating the opposite, that it's akin to high fructose corn syrup - it's definitely not a "natural" sweetener, if by that you mean unaltered like raw honey or 100% maple syrup.

http://www.thenutritionpost.com/eatright/7-reasons-why-you-should-avoid-agave-syrup.html

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

http://healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=576:agave-a-ages-more-reasons-to-avoid-agave&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267
  • manda1028
    Options
    The only way I like my agave is in my tequila.

likewise! and i love tequila! :)
  • shipshape55
    shipshape55 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic. Sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from or what they call it. Sugar has 14 calories per teaspoon, a spoon in coffee or on whatever won't kill you. I mean that litterally. nothing more natural than the real thing . just don't go overboard
  • fishpizza
    Options
    This is really interesting, I can't find it anywhere in NI, but I'm dying to try it!! I just use Truvia.
  • fishpizza
    Options
    Although I do agree that there's nothing wrong with the odd bit of the real stuff, and honey is great! I still use Truvia if I'm baking though, mainly to cut calories.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Although I do agree that there's nothing wrong with the odd bit of the real stuff, and honey is great! I still use Truvia if I'm baking though, mainly to cut calories.

I agree, however I don't really like the way sugar tastes in my coffee and tea. To me it tastes really heavy? Idk how to explain it LOL, but the syrup adds this extra sweet flavoring for less of it. So that's why I love it :)
  • margueta562
    margueta562 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love it! Especially in my tea.Just a drop or two to give it some flavor.

Its also low glycemic
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I use it to bake with, it's really good. But I use stevia in my tea and coffee.
  • sassi5
    Options
    Its awesome.
  • fishpizza
    Options
    No idea what agave tastes like in tea, but I'm so used to Truvia now when I do use sugar it tastes funny to me. I know what you mean by 'heavy' though, haha! Do you drink chai tea at all? If you do, is the agave nice in it? :)
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to read those articles.........

I like it, but I kind of feel like sugar is sugar, so I just try to avoid it if I don't need it. I like the taste of agave, and I find that I can use less of it than other kinds of sugar to sweeten things. I have a few recipes that just taste better with agave than other types of sugar. But like any sugar...I just try to use it sparingly. I learned to drink my tea unsweetened. ;)
  • deadbambi
    Options
    No idea what agave tastes like in tea, but I'm so used to Truvia now when I do use sugar it tastes funny to me. I know what you mean by 'heavy' though, haha! Do you drink chai tea at all? If you do, is the agave nice in it? :)

I drink EVERY kind of tea. xD And yes, agave tastes SO smooth and sweet in it, but you want to buy regular agave as opposed to the flavoured ones!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I think it taste just nutrasweet, slenda, and stevia. All have a horrible after taste. I use the real deal, just less.
  • fishpizza
    Options
    I drink EVERY kind of tea. xD And yes, agave tastes SO smooth and sweet in it, but you want to buy regular agave as opposed to the flavoured ones!

Haven't quite gotten used to the forums yet, just realising I can quote you, haha!! Can you get it in Tesco/Sainsbury's/ASDA? I haven't seen it anywhere!
  • bluemoongal
    Options
    I hate it. I think it taste just nutrasweet, slenda, and stevia. All have a horrible after taste. I use the real deal, just less.

ditto :drinker: