Over eating at certain times of the month

Options
Hello, I was wondering if any of you ladies out there have the same problem as me, that at a certain time in my monthly cycle I crave food. Any food as long as its lots. I tried having low cal snacks at hand to overcome this but that is never enough as i eat them and then crave more. I even go out to get food if i delibrately do not have anything in. I know I should have more control but it like someone else is taking over my body and insists that i eat and eat and eat. I have tried drinking lots of water as I am obviously not really hungry but that does not work. I have tried doing hobbies when i am not working, even going to the gym does not stop me. I know its hormonial but its very fustrating. Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to help prevent this?

Replies

• leslie4302
    leslie4302 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I crave comfort food, and lots of it, and my self control seems to go right out the window. Unfortunately, I'm like you and have no idea what to do about it. :(
  • rlcarlson5468
    rlcarlson5468 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am going through that right now. I'm usually very good about what I eat but for the last three days I've been a crazy woman. I just can't get enough food. I tried talking with my husband (who is always supportive) but he doesn't understand. I've been trying to get it under control but have not been successful. I'm just trying to exercise more. I may gain a few pounds but I know this feeling won't last long.
  • southseabelle
    Options
    Its crazy. I have tried to see if there was a herbal suppliment that could be taken but not come up with anything yet. I might see if there are certain food groups that might help. it is obviously being caused by an imbalance of sorts
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You could try looking at this food craving guide and see if eating the healthier alternatives helps any? It tells you the vitamins/minerals your body is craving when you want bread, chocolate, alcohol, etc. and then tells you healthy food ideas that contain the vitamins/minerals you're needing :)http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php
  • southseabelle
    Options
    Thak you so much for that i will have a good look at that
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    UGH! Every month I go through this and it drives me crazy. I could easily inhale a whole loaf of bread and then go scavenging around in the cupboards or fridge for more. This month I thought Id try a different tack and just keep drinking water. Warm water, ice cold water, drank it through a straw, without a straw.... crikey I was a madwoman! It did the trick though, the bread was safe and the cookies for the children went to the children!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    try drinking a lot of green tea? this helps me :)
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I would eat ALL THE BREAD (chips/pasta/cookies/brownies) and ALL THE CHEESE if I weren't so determined. Sometimes I do.

Also, strangely, I am a long-time vegetarian and repelled by meat, but every month I crave fried chicken (I don't give in to this one, since I actually think it's disgusting...)

The only solution that helps me is to drink flavored herbal or decaffeinated tea. It sends me into the kitchen, it's warm, it has a taste (unlike water) but no calories. Otherwise, give yourself a challenge, like drinking an entire glass of water before you get the next cracker, to slow you down.
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    For me, when I crave food, I drink coffee. It helps quiet my cravings, at least for a while. I take Nescafe Mocha, which is 77 cals.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I dont have a problem at all (she says, sitting at her desk with chocolate :-( )
    Its not that I eat too much, its that I eat the wrong stuff, and all idea of excercise goes out of the window.
    I like the coffee idea, I will be buying myself some coffee later today- might even give me enough pep to get out and run this evening :-)
  • zavolocko
    zavolocko Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink black tea, quite strong. Not sachet but infusion. Find it best to fight against it. Water did not help. Coffee - not more than cup per day , in my previous life :) I used it 5- 8 cups per day. Green tea is not bad, but then I become turbo mode, which ends some moments later and you looking where is fridge
  • kateblue72
    Options
    Thanks for this thread ..... thought it was just me!! I AM there right now ..... came home yesterday and started with all the RIGHT snacks.... then deteriorated from there. Woke up this am doubly frustrated, as weekly weigh in day and down 0.5, but had been heading so in the right direction, and earlier in the week had been lighter!!! I already drink lots of water, and am 'worried' about heading into the kitchen to make tea .... very little willpower at this time of month while witing for water to boil, may eat something!! So, I am trying to eat a piece of gum. Thinking if I am chewing something ... that may be enough?
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    are you on the pill? i was wondering if it is normal for everyone or if it is cause by the pill? I have the problem on the third week of pills. i have to be sure to go to the gym every day during that time. i also try to eat carbs with high fiber and more protein at this time.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is useful :) I usually just give in and eat everything I want because I figure it's just for a day or two. As a matter of fact, I've had 1 and 1/2 donuts today AND 2 cupcakes. I'm such a weakling :(
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Ugh this is my life. Around moontime I usually eat whitespot burgers and fries and pizza because I CRAVE junk food and literally cannot control myself. so I gain a bit of weight during those 6 long days :P but I work out EXTRA hard the week afterwards ALWAYS :P
  • bhawk82
    bhawk82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I go through this EVERY month. I'm still looking for ways to satisfy my cravings when all I want to do is splurge on anything with carbs (pasta, bread), and lets not forget chocolate!!
  • K_Smith86
    Options
    Oh man, this is me to a T!!! I mainly end up craving pasta and cheese. Not to mention chocolate w/ peanut butter. I'll crave Dr.Pepper once in awhile, but I've learned not to cave into that one. The others, not so much. Of course it doesn't help that I'm going through that right now, and at work, in the fridge, one of my co-workers has 3, yes THREE snickers bars out there, and whenever I go out there to get a water, or one of my snacks from the fridge, I see it and am so tempted. I told him yesterday that if he's going to bring that stuff to work, keep it out of eyesight, especially from myself and one of our other co-workers who is trying to lose weight too.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I crave beef. I had beef on my sushi once. I also crave chocolate and I'm not really a chocolate person so that always seems so strange to me. It's really hard to ignore the cravings. I try and eat really good all month so the damage is minimal during those cravings weeks. Sometimes I just can't say no.
  • southseabelle
    Options
    I'm glad I am not the only one who goes through this. perhaps we can help each other through it. I am not on the pill so its my natural cycle that is causing this.
  • icreate
    Options
    Guitly in the first degree :(