Losing motivation, where do you get yours?

Options
I've been on here since January, I've left a couple of times. I hit a plateau around the start of July, I've been losing and gaining the same 3 pounds, it's been very frustrating. I have 9 pounds to go to meet my goal. The thing is, I've focused so much on cardio and not on weight training, I hate the way I look.

For the month of September I decided to try to go vegetarian, just try it out for the month...I thought maybe it would help break through the plateau....so far nothing.

I exercise 5 times a week...cardio either jog/brisk walk, stationary bike, elliptical. I really enjoy jogging....but I've lost my motivation. The thought of exercising is painful to me. There is NO WAY I want to go back to the way I was, but I feel like I'm fading fast.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to quit.
Thanks!!

Replies

• dannomyte81
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I've lost 47 lbs but I want to look better. Even though I have lost a chunk of weight iIstill feel fat. Does that make any sense? That last 10 lbs hasn't moved in a month.
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    “There is NO WAY I want to go back to the way I was.”

That’s it right there. That is what keeps me going and should be your motivation as well. I’ve lost 33 pounds and need to lose another 60-80, but I feel so much better and can’t let myself go back to where I was. Maybe switch it up and try doing some weight training to tighten and tone and see if that helps spark a fire.

Even if you stay where you’re at I think you look great! :smile:
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jimmy, Janet! You have to let that statement keep you going! Start lifting. It will change things up. Here is something to think about though love. Your body may be DONE losing weight. But you need to TONE now. Get lifting. The number on the scale should not determine when you stop. If your body is not letting you lose anymore weight than it doesnt need to. But if you still aren't happy with how you look. You need to tone it up.

I love you and I am here for you always. You know that! Please keep going! I know you can do this!!! I am rooting you on!
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Your motivation can only come from YOU....you have to want to do this...anything less and it is not genuine and will subsequently fail...sorry to be so blunt, but it is the truth!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried any group exercise classes? I find that when I can't stand the thought of running or spending 30-40 minutes slaving on the elliptical, I have a blast when I go to zumba, or when I take a yoga class. Maybe try something different, if you find it fun, then it's not about working out to lose weight/tone/beat the scale/whatever, it's about having fun. Plus, zumba and yoga both have toning benefits.

HTH, some days are just hard. Hell, some weeks and months are hard. Just don't give up, you've come a long ways!
  • shanewo
    Options
    I used to feel the same way you do. If this helps at all, remember that it takes approximately 21 days to form a habit, so stick to it! Remember how you feel when you're done. My workouts have become my favorite part of the day, because nothing feels better than feeling stronger, and seeing the changes in my body. I do them first thing in the morning so there's no turning back. Plus, it sets the tone for the day. Knowing I put forth the effort every day makes me want to eat healthier. I'm not messing up what I've already done! If you ever need extra motivation, please let me know and I'm happy to push you if you need it. You can do it! You're always stronger than you think!
  • shanewo
    Options
    One last thing...you may need to search for a workout that you love. Find something that you don't consider boring and that will give you results quickly. You're much more likely to stick with it then.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It might be worth looking into how people maintain their weight. Even though you have a little bit more to lose, it's valuable to learn how people keep that motivation going when they're at their goal weight and the scale is no longer going down.

It sounds like you wish you had started strength training, so why not get started? It will make a big difference to how your body looks. Start thinking in terms of inches rather than pounds. Take lots of photos so you can see how your body changes.

You probably need to start setting goals that have nothing to do with weight. You say you like jogging, so how about entering into a race and training for that? I've only just started running, but I ran 5 minutes today and am so pleased with myself I don't even care what my scales said this morning! I can't wait to get out there again to go a bit further. Or what about finding something completely new that you've never even tried before? Ballroom dancing or a martial art or kickboxing. Find a new skill to master that incorporates fitness, something that you look forward to doing.

Ultimately though, that motivation's got to come from deep inside you. You've got to want it more than you want to not exercise. Remind yourself of why you started, what you hated about 47 lbs ago, how much you've achieved and what is better about being the weight you are now.

For further thoughts on plateauing, this is quite a good article: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I know that I have to find motivation from within...just having a tough time right now.