Hip & knee issues on the elliptical?

Options
I love love love the elliptical to death. In fact, I think the one at my gym is starting to get an imprint of my shoe.

My issue is sometimes when I'm going, my knee or hip (usually only on my left side) locks a bit and it makes me kinda jolt. There's no pain (during or after), just a locking.

Could I be stepping wrong, not stretching enough, standing funny (etc) or should I be more concerned and talk to my physical therapist?

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    That doesn't sound good. Especially on a 0 impact machine. I would see if you gym has a trainer that could help you out to see if it is a technique issue, then maybe your dr. to make sure all is well. I have knee/hip issues and am supposed to stay away from the treadmill & use an elliptical.
  • usreek
    usreek Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too. But typically when I am not concentrating or going too fast. Ease up and make sure your feet are even. Sometimes it happens when your one foot (left or right ) is not in line with the other.
    But Elliptical rocks. I have both a torn MCL and cartilage and this is the best low impact machine.
  • xerothermic
    Options
    I have a jammed hip from an accident two years ago that acts up so I was guessing it was mainly due to that. It just feels like I step wrong or lose balance or something. I guess I'll try and remember what it feels like tonight (if it happens this time).
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I like the machine too as it makes me sweat! But I have to fit in when my husband is not using it. I have not been consistant with exercise as I would love to be able to get up earlier and do it before work. That way I can chill when I get home from work or take the dogs for a walk before dinner.
  • clarkrac
    Options
    I must say that i have falling in love with the elliptical myself!! i just had Acl replacement surgery 3 months ago and my therapist suggested that the bast thing to do right now is this machine and he expressed to keep my knees bent so i won't reinjury my knee. So i would say make sure to bend your knees a bit to prevent harm to those knees...we need those...take it from me!!! LOL
  • xerothermic
    Options
    I'm utterly addicted. I go to the gym and do a 30 min weight loss program with 5 min cool down, then a 15-20 min glut program with a 5 min cool down, then a free whatever I want for 10... all with strength training between.

Utterly utterly addicted.
  • xerothermic
    Options
    I must say that i have falling in love with the elliptical myself!! i just had Acl replacement surgery 3 months ago and my therapist suggested that the bast thing to do right now is this machine and he expressed to keep my knees bent so i won't reinjury my knee. So i would say make sure to bend your knees a bit to prevent harm to those knees...we need those...take it from me!!! LOL

That could be it! My lower back isn't 100% yet (close... like 85-90) and right before they lock I'm trying to straighten them out to readjust my posture or rest my calves. That actually makes sense... a lot of sense.