Carb Load Out

Options
Low carbers beware, what you are about to read may send your bodies into epileptic shock.

I need to maximize the glycogen in my muscles in preparation for my marathon on Sunday. To do this I am supposed to eat 760 grams of carbs each day for three days. That is the equivalent of 4 cups of sugar or 3040 calories each day just from carbs. They are supposed to make up 80% of my diet. My plan is to eat lots of whole wheat breads, fruits (with minimal fiber), Clif Bars, pastas, rice and my favorite, oatmeal cookies.

Today I went a little heavier on the breads and fruit and only managed to eat 338 grams of carbs. Tomorrow I am going to have to get serious.

Replies

• softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. Good luck on your marathon! My goal is to complete one by my birthday next year. :]
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Is it a half or full marathon?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lotta carbs! I'm doing my 3rd half marathon on Saturday and other than my running coach suggesting I eat a little more simple carbs up to 2 days before my races (he told me not to carb load the night before because it can cause stomach issues) I've never heard one has to eat a specific number of grams of carbs...I have a lot of friends who run marathons and they've never mentioned it to me.

As much as I love carbs, I can't imagine doing this...If you stuff yourself with food you don't normally eat, won't it make you sick? I'd be more concerned about having tummy troubles on race day, than ingesting a specific number of carbs.

Anyway, good luck with your marathon! I hope to do one in the next few years.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    this from a hard core low carber..... don't forget the pasta!!!!!!!!!:love:
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    You inspired me to find this http://endurancecalculator.com because I thought those numbers seemed ridiculous, but I guess they aren't!

Best of luck with your race!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's almost enough to make me take up running!

(No. I won't. Bad knees/bad back. Running and I do not mix. Even years ago when I was thin)
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Full marathon. For a half marathon I wouldn't worry about carb loading. The average person has enough glycogen to carry them up to about 18 - 20 miles. It's that last 6 that gets real tough.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lotta carbs! I'm doing my 3rd half marathon on Saturday and other than my running coach suggesting I eat a little more simple carbs up to 2 days before my races (he told me not to carb load the night before because it can cause stomach issues) I've never heard one has to eat a specific number of grams of carbs...I have a lot of friends who run marathons and they've never mentioned it to me.

As much as I love carbs, I can't imagine doing this...If you stuff yourself with food you don't normally eat, won't it make you sick? I'd be more concerned about having tummy troubles on race day, than ingesting a specific number of carbs.

Anyway, good luck with your marathon! I hope to do one in the next few years.

The night before I'll be eating a light meal for that reason. Never do anything different right before or during a race that you haven't tried before. I've done some carb load out before my long runs in preperation, but not quite to this extreme. And to be honest, I don't think I will be able to eat that much, but I am going to enjoy it while I can because after the race it is back to normal calories during the off season.