2»

Replies

• makeupmuse10
    Options
    bump
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was just thinking the exact same thing!
    Thanks for posting :-)
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    New Rules for Lifting series. Awesome books. A lot of bodyweight work, which is where you should think about starting to condition your core muscles for when you start lifting heavier.

These are good books. Research/educate yourself, start with core and the biggest muscles, work to muscle failure, gradually increase and diversify. If you can afford it, see if you can connect with a personal trainer. It may seem to be too expensive, but the way I justified it to my husband was to point out how much we had been spending on meals out - and how much weight we had gained over the last two years especially. So now we still spend the same amount of money monthly, only now it goes to gym memberships and personal trainers, we just bout a bike for my husband and a bike carrier for the car. It's a life style change.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I want to start weight training but I don't know where to start. I want to do it on my own, no gym membership. Can anyone direct me to a good website that show routines and how many reps to do? Do you need cardio on days you weight train as well? I do workouts like 30DS and Ripped in 30 is that good enough to just build lean muscle? Thanks a lot!

check out www.leangains.com and read his article on training, it is pretty eye opening...

I would say make squats, deadlifts, lunges, pull ups/chin ups, overhead press the staples of your work out program. If you want to build lean muscle back off the cardio and maybe go with one or two sessions per week of HIIT, I like sprint intervals myself...good luck!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm using the New Rule of Weight Lifting and I love it.....it also helps that my gym is only $10/month.

Definitely interested in looking at some of these websites!!! Good luck!!!
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    bump to read all this later!
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm so exicted to check out all these websites! Thanks so much!
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    Bumping to read at home.
  • Jbartram15
    Options
    I recently bought H.I.T. extreme training book through a membership of mens fitness magazine, it is a great book full of many tips and secrets and many high intensity workout routines and schedules, only if you are willing to pay the price.
  • Pomidorka
    Options
    Check out the new rules of lifting for women book! Awesome program in there.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    New Rules for Lifting series. Awesome books. A lot of bodyweight work, which is where you should think about starting to condition your core muscles for when you start lifting heavier.

^^^THIS! I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women and LOVE it!

^^ THIS!! I am only 9 workouts in and I can tell a difference in myself and have dropped 2.4 lbs. I love it and everything is explained to you! Great Program!
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    bump for later
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You have to get started somewhere, so even if you're awkward at first, just start trying things out. Getting started on the machines will help you to feel out the different muscles groups and the directions on the machines can help you with your form and help prevent injury for newbies.

Educating yourself on muscle groups and good form is CRITICAL. Subscribe to some weight lifting magazines like Oxygen, Fitness Px that focus on teaching you form and giving your a variety of workouts to hit all muscle groups.

While you may have heard that serious lifters have days where they focus on certain groups i.e. a leg day, a chest and tricep day, where they really kill those muscles one day a week. As a beginner warming up, you may want to take the full-body approach. You'll hit all muscles in one or two days, but you'll do three sets of 15 reps each group as opposed to 3 times that for people focussing on a few mucles groups a day.

Again just educate yourself and keep trying and testing new things. And if you have money, get a personal trainer who can show you the ropes.

Best decision of my life was to stop being a cardio junkie and move to weights. 1 h weights, 30 min cardio 5 days a week :)
    Good luck.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump to read at home.
  • annascrapper
    annascrapper Posts: 132 Member
    Options