How do you know how many calories you burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I've had several heart rate monitors and they never say the calories burned.

Did they have the chest strap? I've had a couple and they always tell me
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM. Due to my weight some of the exercises in the MFP database weren't giving me enough calories and other exercises (whether I am not quite as fast or strong as others) way overestimated the calories. I don't usally eat back my exercise calories (for now because I am losing fine) but once in a while I have a really hungry day and will dip into the exercise calories to add sliced avocado to my dinner salad or have a higher protein snack.
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I use a Polar FT4.

Same one. I love it.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I had to enter all my information (weight, height, etc) and it set up everything from there. Best investment ever!!
  • AniOnFire
    AniOnFire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit, They also have a new more affordable model, called the zip

http://www.fitbit.com/zip
  • worthliving4
    worthliving4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM by Polar called the Polar FT-7. I bought it on amazon.com for about $75 and really love it. I find it is about 10-20% lower than the MFP database and the cardio machines estimates. The reason being it is calculating based on height, weight, age, HR and includes the ups and downs of the exercise without having to intermittently hold the handles of a machine to calculate it. This too is not fool proof BUT it is more accurate than a database or machine.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Since i don't eat the calories that I burn through exercise, I don't care about how many I burn.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM. MFP WAY overestimates!
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There is also an app for iPhone called calories burned. You put in your weight and scroll through the exercises and it will give you haow many calories burned. Remember this is only an estimation and a Heart Rate Monitor will prrobably give you a more accurate reading. But until you get it, ty the app (if you have an iPhone, not sure if they have it for Android)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just got my HRM the other day. I have an app on my phone that you put your weight in and it tells you how many calories burned for a number of different exercises. For 25 min of 30 day shred it was telling me 225 calories. I did it with my heart rate monitor on, and that said I burned 125. I was shocked it was that far off. I would say a HRM is your best bet.
  • luzdama78
    luzdama78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one today! Is it good? I've been on the fence about ordering one, but went for it today. Can you give me any feedback? I'd appreciate it! Thx =)
  • tdelo7634
    tdelo7634 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just google for a heart rate to calories burned conversion tool. You just need to know average calories burned over what time period, height, weight, and age.

Here is a link. http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    If you are going to get a HRM you may want to consider the polar FT7 as it has some of Polar's "Smart Coaching" features. In the case of the FT7 you can see smart calories, you can do this on any but it is an easy graphical way to keep you heart in the Aerobic "Fat Burn" mode rather than in the cab burning anaerobic mode. Essentially you burn more fat with you heart rate below 70% and more Carbs above that level. Just makes it a little easier to focus on weight or fitness. Polar USA has a good tool to help you find the right monitor for what you do.

This article talks about it and the research

http://www.howtobefit.com/polar-owncal-feature.htm
  • philcole4321
    Options
    Try the Polar F60 series which is quite good and tracks up to 100 sessions of calories burnt and even includes strength training.
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanx so much all.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    MFP have an estimated number of calories burned based on how long you worked out for, and what speed/pace you did.

Or, if you have a smart phone, you can downland the RunKeeper app. It's free and will tell you exactly how many calories you burned.

=)

*twitch*

*twitch* *twitch*
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Saying it again since it seemed like people missed it the first time...

ALL YOU CAN DO IS ESTIMATE

HRMs estimate. MFP estimates. Machines at the gym estimate. Apps estimate. They all just estimate. In some case one may be more accurate than another, but that depends on lots of variables. IT'S ALL JUST AN ESTIMATE.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    MFP have an estimated number of calories burned based on how long you worked out for, and what speed/pace you did.

Or, if you have a smart phone, you can downland the RunKeeper app. It's free and will tell you exactly how many calories you burned.

=)

I don't know what's wrong with my HRM...I just got it so I'm a little dumb as far as it goes...but the calories it says I"ve burned and MFP says I've burned are WAY off..........hmmm
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I don't know. And I don't care!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^That makes two of us. Me also no care.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^