Need Help!!! quick and simple recipes

Options
blkdad
blkdad Posts: 12 Member
I, like none of you (grin), need some help with some quick and simple things I can prepare for meals. I read all the great recipes and have even tried a few but with my hectic schedule, I need something I can cook or prepare quickly each and every day. So far, I've found cereal and fruit for breakfast works, sandwich, soup and some raw veggies for lunch, but dinner................ I desperately need your help. Ok, I am a man, help me ladies!

Replies

• Jamie2007
    Options
    Can you take one day and cook in bulk and then use it for the week? That really seems to work best for me!
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Anything in a crockpot, you can prepare the night before throw it in, in the morning leave it all day come home and its ready :)
    I use a site called allrecipes.com
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Get a chicken breast, sprinkle some herbs/seasoning (found in the salt/pepper etc aisle) onto it, spray some 1calorie spray onto a pan and cook. Alternatively, slice up the chicken into chunks before cooking, and sprinkle with seasoning (it's easier if it's in small chunks/strips to know if it is cooked through, if you're nervous about not cooking it properly)

Buy some bags of frozen veg. Boil the veg while the chicken is on the pan. If the veg is too plain for you, mix THICKLY a cuppasoup (any flavour but I like broccoli and cauliflower the best) and pour it over the veg

Such a simple meal and quick too x
  • jenbeach33
    jenbeach33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/dijon-broccoli-chicken/Default.aspx
    THis is one of my favorite dinners. It isn't super complex but it is delicious and definitely worth the few minutes it takes.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to tortilla pizza at the moment. Easy to make, variable calories according to your toppings, ready in 10-15 minutes.

Wholemeal tortilla
    Smear some tomato puree on it (I use about 15g/1 tbsp)
    Add low fat mozzarella or other cheese of your choice
    Add other toppings, like raw veggies, ham etc (lately I've been adding spinach, a few olives and cracking an egg on it)
    Bake for about 10 minutes.
    Stuff your face with it. Yum.
  • cgirlygirl
    Options
    Salsa Chicken
    Two chicken breasts
    1/3 cup of salsa
    1 tbsp of taco seasoning
    low fat shredded cheese

25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven!

I eat it with black beans, brown rice, and steamed corn.
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How about a slow cooker? Make up a recipe of protein (chicken, pork or beef), healthy vegetables (carrots, string beans, onions) and chicken broth. Put it in the slow cooker and you will have a healthy dinner ready for you when you get home in the evening.
  • VinoFonseca
    VinoFonseca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Turkey tenderloins! Grill a few. I mix for lunch with peas, lima beans and salsa. Great fiber and protein. Sometimes I mix with half an avocado.

Or slice of Ezekial bread (it's sprouted) with some almond butter and an apple or banana

Do you like sushi?

SALSA is the best for adding flavor to just about everything: proteins and salads :)
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    crockpot! Or cook in bulk one day a week and just freeze it, that way you can throw it in the fridge to thaw in the morning and just have to heat up for dinner that night. When I buy meat, I take it out of the package and freeze it in individuals portions, that way I just take it out to thaw, throw it on my george forman and steam some veggies and voila, dinner in like 15 mins or less. You can buy a really cool steamer insert to just put in a regular pot that works wonders for like $6 at walmart. Hope that helps!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    my go to recipe is

1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 package perdue chicken carvers
    1 tablespoon chili powder

heat everything in a pan and voila! now if you want to cut down on the sodium you have to get dried black beans then soak and cook them first. also if you don't drain the tomatoes you can serve this over quinoa or brown rice. it couldn't be easier and it's delicious. you can probably add other things too like corn. and i buy the larger package of perdue chicken carvers.
  • mmarshall425
    mmarshall425 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When Im in a crunch for a fast meal I keep individually wrapped frozen fish fillets on hand. I just pan sear them with a little olive oil. I serve with a side of steamed veggies.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Boil up some wholemeal pasta
    Spray a frying pan with 1 cal cooking spray, add sliced leeks.
    Once the leeks are cooked (only a few minutes) add some low fat cream cheese and black pepper.
    Loosen the hot cheese mix with a little of the pasta water.
    Drain pasta, mix into the cheesy leek mixture in the pan.
    Grate on a bit of parmesan or veggie friendly hard cheese.
    Enjoy.

You can add ham/bacon to the leek mix if you're so inclined - bung it under the grill while the water in boiling and pasta is cooking, then add to the cream cheese mix before adding the pasta.

The whole thing takes less than 20 minutes.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My new favorite less than 15 minutes.

Orecheitta(sp?) Pasta 2-4 oz depending on running schedule
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 oz chopped walnuts
    1-2 cloves garlic minced
    slivered basil
    1/2 oz good parmesean finely shredded.

cook pasta
    saute garlic and walnuts in olive oil for a couple of minutes.
    Mix with pasta
    Place in bowl, mix in basil and parmesean

Serve with a nice salad.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    My new favorite less than 15 minutes.

Orecheitta(sp?) Pasta 2-4 oz depending on running schedule
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 oz chopped walnuts
    1-2 cloves garlic minced
    slivered basil
    1/2 oz good parmesean finely shredded.

cook pasta
    saute garlic and walnuts in olive oil for a couple of minutes.
    Mix with pasta
    Place in bowl, mix in basil and parmesean

Serve with a nice salad.

Ooooh, I like the sounds of this!
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    salmon fillets baked with green beans and pesto in the oven in tin foil......takes about 15 minutes to cook and its healthy and delicious! if you would like the recipe i can send it to you.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tacormier
    tacormier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blkdad
    blkdad Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I greatly appreciate everyone's ideas and input...the idea of me cooking all day ....well.....as my grandmother used to say, "too much like right", but not gonna happen. I will probably start sauteeing chicken, veggies, and utilizing the crock pot...That's doable...Again, thanks everyone
  • kramfaced
    kramfaced Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I buy the cooked grilled chicken strips, put however much I'm hungry for. A bag of my favorite frozen stirfry veggies, a can of italian tomatoes & zap em in the microwave until hot. Top with my favorite cheese. (usually parmesean) I also use fitness pal's recipe function to figure out the calories per serving. then I package it into servings & have them ready to reheat the next day! Ususally around 200 calories per serving + or -.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    bump