Food Diary Question

Options
Confused about food diary. It records that I've had all my carbs, fats, proteins for the day but then says I have 500-600 calories left. However, I've noticed every food you eat (veggies included) add carbs, proteins and sometimes fat. Can anyone explain how this works? What do you eat for those extra calories or do you just try not to eat them if all the carbs, proteins, and fat servings for the day have been used?

Replies

• jiminoregon
    jiminoregon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Confused about food diary. It records that I've had all my carbs, fats, proteins for the day but then says I have 500-600 calories left. However, I've noticed every food you eat (veggies included) add carbs, proteins and sometimes fat. Can anyone explain how this works? What do you eat for those extra calories or do you just try not to eat them if all the carbs, proteins, and fat servings for the day have been used?

Are you setting your goals using the automatic guide? If not, it sounds like you didn't adjust your carbs, fat and protein to equal 100%.

Jim
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may want to take a look at the quality of the foods you're eating. I don't have any issues eating within my macronutrient levels while eating enough calories. Some days I go over on one, but never all 3 at once. Not even sure how that's possible, honestly.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I go through this every day - it is frustrating ... I used the automatic set up for the amounts... I'm always over on fats, proteins and sugars... I've been doing better keeping carbs and salt down to where they are to be. I just haven't found the secret... if there is one I could use some insight as well.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I go through this every day - it is frustrating ... I used the automatic set up for the amounts... I'm always over on fats, proteins and sugars... I've been doing better keeping carbs and salt down to where they are to be. I just haven't found the secret... if there is one I could use some insight as well.

It's easy -- stop eating foods with so much fat. If you eat fruit (fruit is good for you), you're never going to be able to stay within your sugar limit -- that's why I don't even track sugar. I know I eat very little processed sugar and that's really all I'm concerned about. I don't need a big fat red number at the bottom of my page just because I ate an apple and a banana one day. :laugh: If you're going over protein, that's probably fine. I personally like to eat more protein than MFP automatically set up for me to eat (because I feel better when I do) so I changed my protein goals here.

But, if I'm reading correctly, the OP is telling us she's going over fats, proteins, AND carbs all at once on the same day when she has 500-600 calories left to eat. That boggles the mind.
  • embrown809
    Options
    Sorry, looking back at my post I wasn't clear. As far as weight loss goes, I am doing fine. Just want to make sure I am doing this in a nutritionally sound way. I haven't exceeded all proteins, fats and carbs for the same day at this point. I have struggled a bit with protein but what hasn't made sense to me when I look back is that the fats, carbs and proteins left in a day don't add up to the amount of calories I have left. I am thinking now maybe I am trying to compare apples to oranges in terms of calories and nutrients. Just trying to understand how the amount of calories relate to the portions shown for your nutrients. I am trying to eat quality food such as veggies, lean proteins, nuts, and high fiber carbs. Maybe I am just over analyzing or on the other end, being dense.