Pro-points versus straight calorie counting?

I decided to look into the w.w. pro points system, and then I stumbled onto the MFP site.
I wondered what your vies are on this system - I got real worried after making a fruit smoothie from strawberries, oranges bananas and blue berries. Pro points value - nil, calorific value... HUNDREDS!!!
Does that mean I will overeat using the propoints system??

Replies

• I've never tried weight watchers.. but I know someone that has been doing it for a year.. I've hardly seen results from her. This thing I don't understand with WW is how can fruits be 'free'.. they do have calories and calories add up. I also don't see how you can really re-learn nutrition like that.. looking at the nutrition facts on labels and deciding for yourself is how you learn =)

**My own opinions.. never having tried WW before.
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    I am not sure about pro points, but WW does points plus. The system is very easy to use. I have lost weight on it before and am doing so again. It is the easiest program out there IMO. It works. You just have to stick to it. They do give you extra points each week to use as you wish. I never do, nor do I put the point value back when I exercise them off. That is what I like about WW. You count everything, (protein, carbs, total fat) and it tells you how many points that specific thing is. I love it.
  • w.w. say that they factor the impact of the fruit into their propoint balance, and that the idea is to encourage healthy lifestyles and sensible portion sizes; however I got a real shock when I saw the 'cost' of my rather delicious fruit smoothie on MFP...
  • I am not sure about pro points, but WW does points plus. The system is very easy to use. I have lost weight on it before and am doing so again. It is the easiest program out there IMO. It works. You just have to stick to it. They do give you extra points each week to use as you wish. I never do, nor do I put the point value back when I exercise them off. That is what I like about WW. You count everything, (protein, carbs, total fat) and it tells you how many points that specific thing is. I love it.

The last time I followed w.w. I followed their no-count system (still available) and I hit my goal and managed my weight effectively for over five years - going back to college messed me up, so I thought I would rejoin w.w. for a bit. So I know it can work in a very natural way. I like the way MFP tracks the carbs/protein/fat content on the tracked food (not available on w.w.'s site).
    However, as I keep saying, the calorific value of my smoothie was shocking; perhaps I should blend the two approaches and throttle back on my current smoothie fixation :-)
  • I've never tried weight watchers.. but I know someone that has been doing it for a year.. I've hardly seen results from her. This thing I don't understand with WW is how can fruits be 'free'.. they do have calories and calories add up. I also don't see how you can really re-learn nutrition like that.. looking at the nutrition facts on labels and deciding for yourself is how you learn =)

**My own opinions.. never having tried WW before.

thanks, my wife has lost 16lbs in 4 weeks using the w.w. approach, so I know it can work... but I am certainly more of a 'nutrition facts' geek, and prepare my own meals so I agree with you re scrutinising food labels etc...