Chicken Sloppy Joes?

Options
JayTee146
JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
Anyone ever used chicken instead of beef to make sloppy joes? how'd it turn out? Mind Sharing your recipe?

Replies

• dbevisjr
    Options
    Hey JayTee, I've used ground turkey but never chicken. This was before I decided to start eating healthy so the recipe was Manwich. The lady I was dating then didn't eat red meat or pork so that's why we used turkey. To make it now I would have to find or create a recipe for better sauce. It was very tasty with the Manwich though.
  • natterzdezign
    natterzdezign Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is my "go-to" sloppy joe recipe (can be used w/any type of ground meat but when ground chicken is on sale, I buy it and make these. I'm kind of a "throw it together" type of cook so these measurements might not be spot on)
    20 oz ground chicken (85/15)
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 jalapeño, seeded and finely minced (optional)
    2 cups no salt tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
    A splash of water or chicken stock
    2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 tsp minced garlic)
    Sprinkle of hot sauce (if desired)
    salt and pepper (to taste)

DIRECTIONS
    Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, garlic & jalapeño. Saute for a couple minutes. Add the ground chicken until cooked. (drain any excess fat)

Stir in the tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce; mix thoroughly. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve on a bun, or to reduce carbs I use Wasa 7-grain crackers - smear the sloppy joes on them and you're good to go (3 big crackers=60 calories)

6 servings (of just the sloppy joe mix)
    226 calories
    14 g fat
    11 g carbs
    16 g protein
    2 g fiber
    165 mg sodium
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I use the veggie crumbles for the meat..and great way to save calories. I have my sandwiches down to about 225 calories bun and all..so tasty.
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    yes
    also made a veggie sloppy joe last night
    you use black beans in place of the meat it was good