Gluten free breakfasts on the go?

Options
I'm trying to go gluten free, which has been pretty easy so far since I'm trying to do low/no carb, but I need a breakfast that I can take with me in the car, and I've been doing egg white patties with a sandwich thin....any good ideas?

Replies

• Ann1964x
    Options
    Kind bars are good.

Make eggs in a cup they look like muffins.
    place 1 slice of bacon in muffin cups, add one egg , chopped up veggies and a little bit of cheese. Bake in oven 375 for 20 min or so. Just until egg is done. You can google the exact receipe since I am not that sure on baking times.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I think those clif builders bars are gluten free
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    my son has Celiacs, and he eats Gluten Free Rice cakes - usually caramel or chocolate. :smile:
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Kind bars are good.

place 1 slice of bacon in muffin cups, add one egg , chopped up veggies and a little bit of cheese. Bake in oven 375 for 20 min or so. Just until egg is done. You can google the exact receipe since I am not that sure on baking times.

^^^ This is exactly what I was going to say. I either use turkey bacon or vegetarian sausage that I crumble. I don't use cheese when I bake, but sometimes when I reheat in the morning, I add a low cal slice. Just depends.

I bake mine on 400 for about 10 minutes. I just keep an eye on them. It's pretty easy to tell when eggs are cooked. I make like 3 days worth at a time (plus husbands) and it's so easy! Also, since you're throwing it all in a muffin pan, you have less to clean. win-win. :)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    quinoa quiche muffins, google iowagirleats. I make a bunch and freeze them, then nuke later. If you don't find the recipe, pm me. I have it in my recipes list.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Any meal can be a breakfast as long as it breaks the fasting from overnight. So if you want to eat apples with a nut butter smothered on top and a yogurt with sunflower seeds mixed in then that would work as a good breakfast. Or if you want to you can even grab a chicken breast that you baked the night before and eat that while drinking some kefir. All sorts of options, it just depends on what you're in the mood for and how much planning ahead you're willing to do. :flowerforyou:
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just thought of this new post from HealthfulPursuit that has an awesome "take along oatmeal cups" recipe for kids!

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/09/take-along-oatmeal-cups/

Hope that is of some interest to you!
  • zumbagada
    zumbagada Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes made with unsweetened almond milk and some low glyceimic fruit (and some spinach if you're being really good). I make a shake the night before and put it in the fridge. Stir up in the morning and then I drink it in the car on the way to work.
  • allie_girl
    Options
    You can make eggs in the microwave at work (or egg whites) in one of two ways (first being easier)

Egg Mug (from Hungry girl!)
    What you need:
    -Coffee mug
    -Pam
    -Eggs/Egg whites
    -Cheese, salsa, or breakfast meat (optional)

Spray the mug with the pam and add the eggs. Put in the microwave for 45 seconds (whole egg) 1 minute (whites). Take it out and scramble it a bit. Return to microwave and add on 30-45 seconds (longer times for the whites - I have no idea why). Take out, stir, and VOILA! Scrambled eggs at work!

Hard Boiled Eggs in the microwave

-Eggs
    -A special BPA free microwavable egg cooker (Amazon sells these)

Add 4 eggs into the device - follow water instructions - microwave for 7 minutes - let it stand for 5, put in the fridge, and enjoy about 20 minutes later! I love hard boiled eggs and this was SO EASY once I got the hang of it. Two one day, two the next!

Hope this helps :)
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Baked oatmeal.
  • Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    how about a breakfast smoothie? greek yogurt and fruit or frittata. south beach diet phase I has lots of good recipies for breakfasts if you google.
  • superdog123
    superdog123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oats aren't gluten free so no oatmeal.

How about yogurt mixed with fruit and seeds/ nuts (if you aren't avoiding fruit on your low carb thing).
    I mix up in a takeaway container, if its not too "gloopy" its easy enough to eat on the go.
  • trdepalo
    Options
    Yogurt, and Kind makes granola you can add with it that is gluten free. Also corn tortillas are gluten free so a breakfast burrito could work too. Hope that helps!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oats aren't gluten free so no oatmeal.

How about yogurt mixed with fruit and seeds/ nuts (if you aren't avoiding fruit on your low carb thing).
    I mix up in a takeaway container, if its not too "gloopy" its easy enough to eat on the go.

Oats are not gluten free, you're right. But the gluten in oats is called Avenin, which is not the same as the gluten in wheat. But oats are very easily cross contaminated. There are a few different brands that make "safe" oats, ones that are grown in a wheat free field and processed in a wheat free factory, and most people with Celiacs can have them.
  • smoon1979
    smoon1979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh that's not a horrible idea every once in a while, to spice things up a bit.....thanks!
  • smoon1979
    smoon1979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Kind bars are good.

^^^ This is exactly what I was going to say. I either use turkey bacon or vegetarian sausage that I crumble. I don't use cheese when I bake, but sometimes when I reheat in the morning, I add a low cal slice. Just depends.

I bake mine on 400 for about 10 minutes. I just keep an eye on them. It's pretty easy to tell when eggs are cooked. I make like 3 days worth at a time (plus husbands) and it's so easy! Also, since you're throwing it all in a muffin pan, you have less to clean. win-win. :)

I actually have done this in the past and it is great and easy...I just want to have a few things in my arsenal so I don't get bored. Thanks!