Sugar replacement

Options
mello
mello Posts: 817 Member
I am working at modifying all of my favorite recipes, I made breakfast for dinner last night and made the banana pancakes that I've been making for years. We eat them without any syrup or anything on them as they are wonderful all by themselves.

All of the modifications such as whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of oil/butter etc worked great. The recipe calls for two tbl of sugar and I just left it out completely thinking the banana would be enough to sweeten it.....uh, no! :noway:

I'm not a fan of splenda etc. What is a good replacement??

Replies

• mello
    Options
    nothing?
  • 01katrina
    01katrina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try Truvia
  • mello
    Options
    I use that in my coffee, but wasn't sure about cooking with it. I can try a pkt or two in it. Thanks!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for 0 calories, then something like Truvia is probably your best bet. If you're OK with some calories then try honey or agave or maple syrup, but then you're at almost the same calories as white sugar.

Or maybe add some additional fruit like berries or apples or spices like cinnamon/nutmeg?
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not a bad thing..you can always try brown sugar or honey also but to be honest 2 Tbsp is not that much!
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    stevia all the way. Check out Tosca Reno's Clean Eating and she supports stevia as a clean sugar replacement.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I like the stevia blends too . For the brown sugar in baking I do use splenda brown sugar. You use less of it and it doesn't have the nasty after taste that some stuff does with splenda.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes or some other reason be be concerned about blood sugar, it's fine. I don't know how many pancakes you get from a batch, but 2 tbsp split several ways is not exactly a lot.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The Truvia Baking Blend is awesome! Love, love, love it. :D
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the people who wouldn't worry too much about that small amount of sugar. How ripe were your bananas? They get sweeter as they get more ripe. If they just had some brown spots, try another batch with ones that have gone mostly brown. And if you don't have spices in your current recipe, you might try adding a teaspoon or so of cinnamon.

Or if you're trying to avoid refined sugars completely, you could try adding more bananas. If you added a few slices of banana to each pancake as it cooked, you'd get bites of slightly caramelized banana throughout your pancake which should increase the overall sweetness. (I love fruit slices or berries added to pancakes.)

Good luck with your recipe experiments. Hope you find a combination that your family loves. :)
  • mello
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :flowerforyou: