Any advice ...

Options
I am a 26 year old who has been in surgical menopause for almost 2 years now. When I think of how this affects me, I think of when a cat or dog gets fixed...they get fat. Before I became menopausal, I had no problem shedding the pounds. Now, is a very different story. It seems like I have been dieting for the last 2 years to get no where. Is there anyone out there that has a story like mine? Is it all in my head? Any advice welcome.

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy 2 years ago. I am 21 years older than you and I have had no problem in losing the weight.

Don't blame menopause
  • CausalNexus
    CausalNexus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to the person who commented above. There is a direct relationship between menopause (of any kind) and weight gain. Just because one person doesn't experience weight gain doesn't mean that another won't, too. I think this website explains it pretty well:

http://www.epigee.org/menopause/weight_gain.html

I wonder if talking with your doctors might help, as well as with a trained nutritionist.

In any event, don't lose hope! You can totally do it.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: Gee thanks
  • tnmomma32010
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. Whether it is the menopause or not, I am determined to lose the weight.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I don't have a similar story.
    But my advice to anyone interested in a healthy lifestyle is take accountability and then take action! You can do this!
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    I am 5 months post op a total hysterectomy. 48 years old . Hormones in fact play a role in weight gain and/or loss. My hormones were going nutty before the hysterectomy due to the conditions which led up to the surgery, and silly me thought that afterwards the fat might just drop off by itself. Immediately after surgery some had, but as time is going on, it is creeping back up on me. And thats why I am here.

The weight and how it got here matters not, it's just time for it to GO, and go for good.

If jlb and havingitall can do it, so can I, and so can you.

No not CAN, but WILL!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Stick to it, you can do it! You might just need to change things up a bit and cut down further on calories.

When I joined MFP it told me to eat 1600 calories a day + my exercise...
    And NOTHING came off.
    I went to the Dr. and he said that he believes anyone CAN lose weight, just some have to try LOTS harder than others.
    He told me I might need to eat less calories than the website said (so I changed it to between 1400-1500 calories a day and he said I'd probably need more exercise (so I have upped that too).
    Good luck!
  • tnmomma32010
    Options
    Since I have started with MFP I have lost a little, which is more than I can say for the last two years. It is disappointing to work so hard and not see much, but a little is better than nothing and eventually a little bit over time will add up. I am determined to lose it and I am glad that I have a place like MFP that can help me through the tough spots. Thanks again for all of the advice.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    What is your definition of "a little"? Remember that a pound a week is a great number and a healthy way to lose weight. This is only the 5th week of the month and you joined in Jan. There are more important things than the number on the scale. Are you taking measurements? Often times people will lose inches but have no weight loss or low weight loss as they are gaining muscle. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. How do you feel? Is your energy higher, are your clothes fitting better? These things are all more important than the number on the scale. Good luck to you.