New to this...any/all pointers welcomed!

Options
Hi! My name is Tammy. I am new to this message board stuff but thought I would try it out... Sure could use the encouragement and pointers that this message board has potential to provide. I have a long weight loss journey ahead of me (again!) and would love to have some new friends to travel this journey with me!

Replies

• meganbook
    Options
    Hi Tammy! Congrats on starting your weight loss journey! The hardest part is making the decision to get started, and you have a great aide with MFP! I have lost over 40lbs twice in my life so far, so I know it can seem daunting but you can do it! My biggest advice would have to be the following:

1) Don't think of this as a diet. It is not a diet. This is your new lifestyle, a healthier new you! I started my second journey 5 years ago, and since then I'm down 46 lbs and am never looking back! I've learned to love exercise, enjoying cooking fresh foods, and best of all buying smaller sizes!
    2) Don't beat yourself up. If you cheat and have cake with your co-workers, you don't make it to the gym, you cave in to that drive-in calling your name, don't sweat it. Make up for it the next day with 10 minutes extra cardio, cut back on a snack, go for a walk during your lunch break, etc. Everyone has those days, and it's ok! As long as you don't make it a habit and do good the next day, no worries!
    3) Veggies, veggies, veggies. They fill you up and low in calorie. I keep a stash of fresh cut veggies in my drawer at work, so when other are hitting the vending machines for Doritos, I have 25 calories of carrots to munch on, and I'm good!
    4) Make working out fun! I've learned to love the gym because I consider it my "me" time. I get to listen to whatever I want and escape the day on the elliptical. If you don't like machines, try Zumba! It's so much fun!

Anyway, I hope I helped! Congrats on your new lifestyle and YOU CAN DO IT! Best of luck to you!
  • getterdone4u
    getterdone4u Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement!! I know I can do this I have done it before. I just hope I can make it stick this time! Its a one day at a time journey, right! :wink:
  • meganbook
    Options
    Exactly! Like I said, I've made mine stick for 5 years now! It can be done! GOOD LUCK :-)
  • HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tammy welcome to MFP. You are in the right place and know that you are here right on time. Nothing in life happens before its suppose to. MFP is a great resource with a HUGE community of ppl who have done and are currently doing what you are here to do. Take some time to check out the success stories discussion thread. Talk about MOTIVATION. Also check out the groups and join any one or two which you think fits your lifestyle and goals. You can do this. Ill send you a friend request. Good Luck.
  • BamaGirl777
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Feel free to add me!