How do I get knots out of my body after heavy lifting?

Options
Good Day,

So I was lifting heavy last night, and it felt really good. Today I can barely move my arm to pick up the phone because I have a huge knot right where my arm meets my shoulder. It's the only part of my body that hurts, and it feels like there's a baseball in there. How do I get rid of it? Hot and cold? Sports rub? Massage therapy (my god that's going to hurt).

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't get knots in your muscles as you're describing it simply from resistance training. Some muscle soreness? Sure... especially if you're new to lifting weights or you're implementing some new exercises or programming. Some buggered up tissue quality that can be helped with self massage (foam rollers for example)? Sure. But not baseball size knots.

Did you notice any pain while lifting?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Soreness is normal, actual knots or spasms are not. Those can be the result of anything from pinched nerves to diet shortcomings. You should probably go to a doctor.

That being said, I get knots or spasms due to scoliosis, and find the best remedies to be ibueprofen, water, hot baths, ice backs and heat pads, and the occasional muscle relaxor when they are too much to handle.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Nope, no pain...i felt a little tender along my side when deadlifting last night, but not in my arms. I went straight into dumbbell presses and then lat pulldowns, maybe i didn't give myself enough time in between exercises? LMAO thecanface, you're terrible
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Ice is best for acute soreness and heat is better for chronic injuries/pain. (I hate ice though...) Tylenol and/or ibuprofen can help with the pain.

But, a baseball size knot does not sound like normal post lifting soreness.
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have that big of a knot. You might have stressed it a little too much. I would try using a foam roller or the "stix" to rub out the soreness. If you have some biofreeze that would help. If you choose to do heat and ice, I would ice for 20 minutes and heat for 10 about every two - three hours. I would also take an anti-inflammatory. If it doesn't relieve itself go to a chiro.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    could it be that they're just THAT sore? That it feels like I have knots? and it's so localized that it's kind of weird
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Foam roller?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    In the future, you need to make sure you stretch before and after you lift.

Foam rollers are great. The purpose of foam rollers is to get trigger points (aka knots) out of your muscles. They can also be used before and after your workout. Roll over the sore spot for a a couple of minutes then hold the foam roller on the sore spot for about 30 seconds or so. Yes it will hurt but it's worth it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Foam roller for sure. You will probably want to punch those of us in the face who recommended it because it hurts so bad (but good) while you use it, but you won't regret it!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go for massage therapy, and the massage therapist recommended self-massage with a tennis ball against a wall - you stand with your back to the wall, and a tennis ball between you and the wall, and you move around so that the tennis ball massages the sore parts of your body. I've found it to be really effective.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch after lifting? Warm up before lifting? P90X Recovery helps with soreness. Alternating hot/cold could help too, it helps improve circulation in that area. Massage definitely helps, especially hot/cold stone massage, hot stones if you can't find someone who does both.
  • _workforit
    Options
    T-roll! 2-3 minutes 2-3 times a day. Its like massage therapy without the price tag
  • lilRicki
    Options
    awesome, thanx guys...right now i don't even want to touch it...but i'll give the roller thing a go. My fiance is more then willing to rub it, but it hurts so good lol
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go for massage therapy, and the massage therapist recommended self-massage with a tennis ball against a wall - you stand with your back to the wall, and a tennis ball between you and the wall, and you move around so that the tennis ball massages the sore parts of your body. I've found it to be really effective.

Yup... I keep a tennis ball in my purse for that very purpose...
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have trouble in that same spot. Massages help. And unlike that first person that responded (I didn't read any other replies) it is possible to get knots like this from working out. You're tearing that tissue down and when it rebuilds itself you get some scar tissue along the way. This isn't the best way to get bigger muscles, you don't need to have tears that large. But some of us do is by mistake. Like I said, massages. Also, a foam roller is very helpful. So it a tennis ball or something like that you can use against a wall.