Question for those who've done an obstacle race

Options
I'm doing a Mud Run on the 29th and was just wondering if anybody had any advice on what type of shoes to wear.

Replies

• Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Warrior Dash in February. I saved my last pair of worn out shoes and plan on wearing them and throwing them out afterward. :smile:
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Old shoes that you don't mind throwing away if they are not able to be saved afterwards. :) Same for clothes. I can't even begin to tell you just how much mud you will have on you at the end of the race. Have a blast! I sure did!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Does the Wii Obstacle Course count? :wink: :laugh:
  • RooMcDermott
    RooMcDermott Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Old shoes that you want to donate afterwards!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    sneakers you won't mind throwing out/donating if you have to/want to. they get MUDDY and soaked from the water.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I always wear old shoes that I can throw away/donate afterwards.

You can usually clean them up, but I don't like the hassle. Of course, I'm out of old shoes since I did a couple of races this summer!! :laugh: Hopefully I'll have some "new" old shoes by next summer!
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Wear an old pair and toss them!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My shoes came clean just fine.

If you mean what "type" of shoe, the course/conditions will determine that more than anything else. I ran in a pair of Inov-8 trail running shoes, but they were way more aggressive than necessary - any running shoe would have been fine. If it's been rainy and the trail/course will be wet/soft (not just the obstacles), then you may want something with a little more bite.
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I'll probably just end up wearing my Zigs. After wearing them while doing Insanity, the lateral movement has made the sides start to tear. They're still OK, but I think after the Mud Run, that'll be as good a time as any to toss them and get something new! Thanks again, everyone!
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of winter trail running shoes that i use. I've never had a problem getting them clean. I usually buy a t-shirt from a craft store and then do an iron-on transfer for my team name. I just make sure I rinse clothes with a hose to get the most of the mud out before I throw them in the washer.