Is walking a good way to lose weight fast?

Options
so, ive tried doing the 30 day shred twice now, the first time i got through 6 days i think, and i just tried it about 10 minutes ago, but at about 9 minutes, i quit, my neck kept making weird cracking/sizzling sounds, and i got really dizzy after the workout.. So if i walk an hour 5-6 times a day.. Is this a good way to lose weight before the middle of November. im 5'1, 122 pounds. My ultimate goal is to get down to 107 (obviously not by november ) thanks!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    All that is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit. That can be achieved with diet alone, or a mix of diet an exercise. If you want to look good when you get there, you need resistance training.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Walking is more of a lifelong health activity. If you want a heavy calorie-burning activity, try an aerobic routine DVD. I think the dancing routines like Zumba are the best.
  • tubaman58
    Options
    Fast walking is, you need to be walking fast enough that you want to run, (4 mph ??)

If you walk at that kind of pace it can burn more calories than running
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    All that is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit. That can be achieved with diet alone, or a mix of diet an exercise. If you want to look good when you get there, you need resistance training.

^^^ THIS!!!! Jumping up and down. This This This. :)
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to walk; however, it is probably not the best exercise for fast weight loss. If you can go on a long walk every day (four miles or more) and have a calorie deficit, you will lose. Running burns more calories in a shorter amount of time, but if you're like me and have a hard time doing something you hate (even for weight loss), walking will get the job done in the long run...pun intended!
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    walking is better than sitting on a couch, but you used the word "fast".. that being said, there are plenty of studies that indicate that high intensity intervals do much more in terms of reduction of body fat than steady state cardio (especially low intensity steady state aerobic activity)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21113312

what is HIT?
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/interval-training
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    So if i walk an hour 5-6 times a day.. Is this a good way to lose weight before the middle of November.

5-6 hours a day of walking? That might get very tiring, and it might be hard to fit that much walking into each day. I walk 5 miles a day - around an hour and a half - and I find that is plenty.
  • r3joe
    Options
    Diet is most important.
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My doc says that brisk walking is as good as running and less stressful on your joint. I can be more consistant when I walk than when I try to run.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You don't have very much to lose so there probably isn't a fast way to lose the weight. Walking is a good source of exercise though.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :smile:
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    You mean an hour 5-6 times a week, right? I think speed walking or running will be a faster burn. However, you need to start off speed walking before running. I agree with another post - Zumba is a great way to burn fat - if you like dancing. The constant movement to music for an hour is a good fat burning aerobic workout. I think staying within your caloric goal and exercising at least 3-4 times a week is the best way to lose weight quickly. Choose a realistic & enjoyable exercise routine for yourself! If the workout you are doing is making you ill you are pushing yourself too hard. You should not feel like you are going to pass out from a good workout - you should feel some burn, sometimes a little shaky, but you should feel energized afterwards not sick. It's hard to listen to our bodies sometimes because we tend to push them to their limits.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Only if you ad skipping intervals while touching your nose with the tip of your finger
  • garvstone
    Options
    walking is better than sitting on a couch, but you used the word "fast".. that being said, there are plenty of studies that indicate that high intensity intervals do much more in terms of reduction of body fat than steady state cardio (especially low intensity steady state aerobic activity)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21113312

what is HIT?
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/interval-training

^^^^^
    This.

I work harder, burn more calories and get better results from 25 mins of HIIT than I do from an hour of steady state cardio. There is a great app called seconds that lets you set up a timer. on the eliptical I will do 3 mins warm up, 30 seconds of all out sprinting followed by 90 seconds of a slower pace. Good stuff.